Creamy chunks of avocado, savory chicken, and crisp onions all smothered in a combination of sour cream, lemon juice, and spices make this delicious Avocado Chicken Salad Dip. Serve it as an appetizer on toast, crackers, or with tortilla chips, or in a lettuce wrap for a light lunch or easy meal.
One of my favorite things is attending a get-together where everyone brings something. A potluck is a wonderful way to not only take some of the burden off of the host but to sample all sorts of foods. This summer, I attended a gathering of friends hosted by a wonderful woman named Amy. She hosted a small group of us in her home. She has the most tranquil backyard where we sat around her table, sharing stories, laughing, and of course, eating lots of yummy food. Amy made this Avocado Chicken Salad Dip and after the first bite, I was asking her for the recipe.
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe
Move over guacamamole! This avocado chicken salad dip combines the creaminess of guacamole with the heartiness of chicken. Filling and satisfying, this healthy avocado chicken salad is perfect for dipping and scooping. Serve as an appetizer with pita bread or tortilla chips at your next family gathering, or backyard barbeque, or take it along on your next picnic outing.
Mayo Free Avocado Chicken Salad Dip
Perfect for hot summer days, this refreshing avocado chicken salad dip is versatile and can be eaten in many different ways. Serve the dip on a bed of romaine lettuce or layer the dip inside the lettuce and make lettuce wraps or you can scoop the avocado chicken dip onto sandwich bread and you’ve got the ideal chicken salad sandwich for the perfect lunch.
Ingredients for Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad
For complete ingredients and instructions scroll to the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe card.
- Avocado – Use large, diced, ripe avocados.
- Chicken breast – Cooked and diced boneless skinless chicken breasts or you can use leftover shredded chicken. You could also use a canned chicken breast if you can’t get your hands on fresh.
- Onion – diced onion, I use yellow onion but red onion, green onion, or white onion would work.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro, chopped, complements the flavors really well.
- Sour cream – Full-fat sour cream adds richness but you can also use plain Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed is always best but bottled will also work. Lime juice would work too.
- Spices – Garlic salt, cumin, and black pepper are the spices you’ll need.
- Hot sauce – Spice it up or down based on your preference. You can use your favorite hot sauce, sriracha, tabasco, or some hot wing sauce and make Buffalo chicken salad!
How to make chicken avocado dip
This recipe comes together easily in just a few minutes.
Dice or shred cooked chicken.
Note: Grilling the chicken gives this dip a bit of a “charred taste” which is a wonderful option but certainly not required.
Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
Stir to combine.
Serve with crackers, chopped vegetables, pita slices, or taco chips.
Leftovers can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. Serve the avocado chicken salad dip cold straight from the fridge or let it come to room temperature.
I don’t recommend freezing leftovers.
Love it? Pin it!
If you love this recipe for the best avocado chicken salad make sure that you don’t lose it! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
I am a huge fan of dip recipes and I get so excited to find a new one to share with you, like this Avocado Chicken Salad Dip! I have loads of dip recipes, hot and cold for you to try and enjoy.
- Can you make chicken salad with avocado? Yes, you absolutely can make chicken salad with avocado. Avocado adds a whole new depth of flavor, texture, and healthy fats.
- Can I use canned chicken instead of cooking a chicken breast? Yes, you can use canned chicken as a convenient option, but be sure to drain it before mixing it in.
- Can I make this dip in advance? You can prepare this dip in advance and store it in the refrigerator. But it’s best to add the avocado just before serving or you will have brown avocado.
- Is this dip really spicy? The hot sauce adds a subtle heat to the chicken salad, but it’s easily adjustable. Start with a small amount and increase to your taste.
- Can I make this dip vegan-friendly? Make a vegan version by substituting the chicken with a plant-based protein like diced tofu or chickpeas and using dairy-free sour cream or yogurt.
- Is this dip suitable for a low-carb or keto diet? This recipe can be adapted for a low-carb or keto diet. Omit the crackers and tortilla chips and serve it with sliced cucumber, celery sticks, or other low-carb veggies.
Remember that when it comes to making substitutions in recipes, you don’t need to be afraid to get creative and use ingredients that suit your personal taste and dietary preferences. Make it your own!
Instead of chicken substitute turkey or even canned tuna.
Swap the onion for chives, green onions, or shallots.
Change up the cilantro and use parsley or a combination of both.
Opt for Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Just make sure it is plain yogurt.
Throw in some crumbled feta cheese for added saltiness. Goat cheese would also work.
For a vegetarian dip use black beans instead of chicken.
Tips & Tricks
Ripe avocados are difficult to find so if you know you are going to make this salad, pick up the avocados a few days in advance so they have time to ripen.
Store leftover chicken from any meal in the fridge or freezer. I like to make rotisserie chicken in my crockpot and shred and freeze it for when I want to make a recipe that uses chicken quickly, like this healthy chicken salad.
Not a fan of cilantro? Substitute fresh parsley or chives for a different herbal flavor.
More Recipes to Love
If you love a good salad, I have oodles of Salad Recipes! Check out these tasty salads:
Avocado Tuna Salad (pictured above)
- Deconstructed Guacamole Salad
Sure, egg salad is great, but if you’re looking for a new healthy lunch that’s easy to prepare and that the whole family will love, this avocado chicken salad is perfect. This recipe is so versatile and flavorful, that I guarantee you’ll be making it on repeat.
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and diced or shredded
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 dashes of hot sauce
- Add of the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve with crackers, pita, tortilla chips, toast, or in lettuce wraps.
If you have any avocado chicken dip left over, you can store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Cover the surface of the dip with plastic wrap or parchment paper to help minimize avocado browning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.