Appetizers & Snacks
Appetizers and snacks walk a fine line. Done right, we all know they can ruin an appetite and leave the main course cooling quickly, untouched on the plate. But, on the other hand, great snacks and appetizers can make the meal.
A guide to appetizers and snacks
I have my recipes for hors d'oeuvres and snacks organized like this:
- Dips - everything from cheese to cream, tapenades, and spreads. If you can put it on a chip, cracker, or slice of bread then I include it here.
- Tailgaiting foods and snacks - Here are road-ready recipes. The kind of finger foods you can take to the ball games, feed dozens, and cleans up easily.
- Popcorn and Snack Mixes - Popcorn goes from blase blah to bling when you dress it up. Snack mixes can stave off a hunger pain and carry you over to mealtime. In other words, the difference between smiling faces and short tempers.
- Hot Appetizers - Hot appetizers, usually right off the pan or out of the oven, always turn heads. "Get ‘em while they're hot!" Slow Cooker Crab Dip? Yes! Cranberry Meatballs? Of course. Tons of great hot appetizers to choose from. Can somebody just pass me the Bean Dip, por favor?
- Cold Appetizers - Sometimes the cold appetizers offer easier service since worrying about keeping them hot isn’t an issue. Convenience is nice, but tasting delicious is still the most important thing, right? Here you find everything from Bruschetta, Dill Pickle Dip, Everything Bagel Dip to Snickers Dip and All sorts of Cheese Ball Recipes!
What appetizers go with what
Wondering what appetizers go with what types of dishes is always a great question. Ideally, great appetizers should complement the main course. So, you don’t necessarily want the appetizer to be too similar to the main course. It is all about balance.
If the main courses and sides are heavy proteins or starches for example, then maybe going with a lighter veggie appetizer is the way to go. Another idea, use your appetizer as the surf or turf introduction to a seafood and meat theme for the meal.
So, if you are looking for a Caribbean seafood dish like this shrimp appetizer to go with your jerk chicken then you can find ideas here.
Ideas for snacks
Simple snacks and great treats always come in handy. Snacking can mean sweet, sour, salty, umami, even slightly bitter. Or it can be any combination of those. Great snacks satisfy cravings. So if you have a sweet tooth or love a salty bacon snack, I have a wide range of recipes to refer to.
Ever had peppermint bark popcorn? Maybe time to give it a try!