Chinese Chicken Salad is a mouth-watering fusion cuisine featuring Ramen noodles, Sesame oil, green onions, and coleslaw. Try this flavorful side dish with a variety of Asian-American blended meals.
Chinese Chicken Coleslaw Salad, also known as “Asian Chicken Salad” or “Oriental Chicken Salad”, has been a favorite side dish since it was made popular in the 1960’s. Even famously beloved actor Cary Grant is said to have loved this meal!
As a tried and true fusion side dish, Chinese Chicken Salad can be perfectly paired with a variety of meals. The Sesame flavors from the salad and the salad dressing complement one another without being overbearing.
Whenever I see a salad like this one at a potluck, I always grab it before it disappears. There are lots of recipes that are similar, but this one is the one I have always made at home. I got it from a cookbook that my mother-in-law gave me years ago that the Harlan, Iowa newspaper put out.
WHAT IS CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD?
INGREDIENTS FOR CHINESE SALAD WITH CHICKEN
FOR THE SALAD
- Chicken Breasts: Chicken is traditionally used for this side dish but can be omitted for a vegetarian dish or switched up with seafood instead!
- Ramen Noodles: While ramen noodles do come in a variety of flavors, the chicken flavor is recommended for this dish.
- Green Onions: Enhances the flavors from the ramen flavor packet.
- Water Chestnuts: Adds a nice crunchy texture.
- Coleslaw Mix: Can easily be found at your local grocery. Usually comes with carrots. Can substitute with 1 head of cabbage and 2 carrots, shredded.
- Sesame Seeds: Preferably toasted. Adds a slight crunch and compliments the Sesame oil in the salad dressing.
- Slivered Almonds: Can be replaced with cashews or peanuts if preferred.
FOR THE DRESSING
- Vegetable Oil: Used as a base for the salad dressing.
- Sesame Oil: Elevates the Asian-inspired flavors in the dish.
- White Vinegar: Helps the body absorb the nutrients from the salad and gives that wonderful tang to the dressing. Rice Wine Vinegar is great for this recipe, too!
- Granulated Sugar: Balances out the salty flavors in the dressing recipe.
- Ramen Seasoning: Brings the flavors of the salad and dressing together nicely and adds that crunch we all crave! Again, chicken flavor is preferred.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHINESE COLESLAW SALAD
Begin by mixing dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
Add coleslaw mix, water chestnuts and sliced green onion to a large bowl, pour dressing over and mix well. Then, add in sesame seeds and slivered almonds. Stir again.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir in the uncooked Ramen noodles right before serving. This will make sure the noodles are nice and crunchy!
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this flavorful Chinese-inspired recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL ENJOY
- Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe (pictured above)
- Sticky Asian Meatballs
- Asian Beef, Mushrooms and Snow Peas
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Basic Garlic Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Beef Lo Mein
- Sesame Ginger Salmon over Crunchy Ramen
- Thai Shrimp & Rice Noodle Salad
It’s time to make this deliciously crunchy Chinese Chicken Salad!
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 package chicken Ramen noodles, uncooked, and crumbled
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, rough chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) packages of coleslaw mix with carrots (or 1 head cabbage and 2 carrots shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 (2.25 ounce) package slivered almonds
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package of chicken Ramen seasoning
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add coleslaw mix, water chestnuts and sliced green onion to a large bowl, pour dressing over and mix well.
- Add in sesame seeds and slivered almonds. Stir again.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Stir in the uncooked Ramen noodles right before serving. This will make sure the noodles are nice and crunchy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 14g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.