This creamy Copy cat KFC Cole Slaw recipe is the perfect side dish. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this restaurant favorite in your kitchen!
I’ll admit it! I have always loved Kentucky Fried Chicken. I love the extra crispy chicken, the mashed potatoes and gravy, and one of my favorite things? The cole slaw! I have tried to make the chicken taste like theirs, with no luck, but at least I can say I got the coleslaw right!
Every summer, my husband and boys, and all of the boys in his family go fishing. When they return they bring home a cooler full of fresh Walleye. Walleye is one of my favorite fish to eat. It’s perfectly white and flaky!
When they returned home from their trip, we had to have a fish fry, mimicking their good old-fashioned shore lunch they have while they are gone. The guys batter and fry the walleye, and I make fried potatoes and this KFC coleslaw.
KFC COLESLAW COPYCAT RECIPE
But just because we tend to make this delicious coleslaw recipe when we make fish, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t go with everything. Of course, fried chicken is the obvious main course, but this recipe is a great side salad for your next picnic or summer potlucks no matter what is coming off of the grill!
It’s a great addition to any pot luck table, and it always gets devoured!
WHY IS KFC’S COLE SLAW SO GOOD?
Kentucky Fried Chicken is known for their crispy fried chicken, crunchy cole slaw, and comforting mashed potatoes. KFC’s cole slaw has a very distinctive tangy yet sweet flavor.
My secret ingredients to make this amazing cole slaw are creamy mayonnaise, tart white vinegar, and zesty lemon juice. The richness of my dish comes from the combination of mayonnaise and tangy buttermilk. This side dish just wouldn’t be complete without buttermilk! If you are worried because you don’t have buttermilk on hand, don’t skip out on this important ingredient! You can make your own at home with this easy buttermilk substitute recipe!
This side dish is perfect for summer picnics and BBQs but can be enjoyed all year long. It is extremely versatile and vegetarian-friendly, too!
INGREDIENTS FOR COPYCAT KFC COLE SLAW
This recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients that you may already have in the refrigerator or pantry! For the full measurements, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Sugar – granulated sugar gives the cole slaw dressing its sweet taste.
- Mayonnaise – use the real thing, full-fat mayo, for a creamy dressing. No Miracle Whip for this one.
- White Vinegar – some recipes call for apple cider vinegar, but I have always used white.
- Lemon Juice – makes the perfect tangy dressing.
- Milk – use whatever you have on hand.
- Buttermilk – for the small quantity that you need, no need to run to the grocery store, you can easily make your own in about 5 minutes if you don’t have it on hand.
- Salt & Pepper
- Bag of coleslaw mix with Cabbage and Carrots – alternatively, you can shred a whole head of green cabbage and a couple of carrots in your food processor.
- Onion – I use a yellow onion.
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW FROM COLONEL SANDERS
My recipe for Copy Cat KFC Cole Slaw is so incredibly easy to prepare! With only a handful of ingredients, this homemade coleslaw recipe with that famous KFC coleslaw dressing will be ready to serve at your backyard barbeques and family gatherings!
To see even more detailed steps, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
Put slaw mix and onion in a large bowl and give it a toss.
Mix the dressing ingredients together until creamy.
Pour over the top and mix to coat. Place in an airtight container and leave in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
Serve cold from the bowl with a slotted spoon or salad set.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this copycat KFC recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
OTHER TASTY COPYCAT RECIPES TO ENJOY
If you love this copycat KFC coleslaw recipe, you are sure to love these other restaurant copycats that you can make right in your own kitchen!
- Zuppa Toscana – Olive Garden Copy Cat Recipe
- Copy Cat Taco Bell Enchirito Recipe
- Copy Cat McDonald’s Tartar Sauce & Fish Sandwich
- Copy Cat Hooters Wings in the Air Fryer
- Copy Cat Dairy Queen Apple Pie Blizzard
- Copy Cat Sonic Cherry Limeade
- Copy Cat El Bee’s Margaritas
- Copy Cat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza Recipe
- Top Secret KFC Chicken Recipe
Let’s whip up this easy KFC coleslaw recipe!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk **
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (12 ounce) bags of slaw mix (the cabbage/carrot mix) (about 8 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons onion, minced
- Put slaw mix and onion in a large bowl and give it a toss.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together until creamy.
- Pour over the top and mix to coat. Cover tightly and leave in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container. Consume within 3-5 days.
**Don't spend extra money on purchasing buttermilk. If you don't have any on hand, make your own with my Buttermilk Substitute Recipe!
Use one medium-sized head of green cabbage + 2-3 carrots shredded in place of the coleslaw mix if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.
This recipe was originally posted on July 7th, 2014. It has been updated to improve user experience and re-shared on June 21, 2022.
This recipe is slightly adapted from topsecretrecipes.com