I’ll admit it! I have always LOVED Kentucky Fried Chicken. I love the extra crispy chicken, the mashed potatoes and gravy and the COLESLAW! I have tried to make the chicken taste like theirs, no luck, but at least I can say I got the coleslaw right!
A month ago, my husband and boys, and all of the boys in his family went fishing in Chamberlain, South Dakota. They caught some amazing walleye! Walleye is one of my favorite fish to eat. It’s perfectly white and flaky!
Here are my fishermen with their catch of the day!
When they returned home from their trip, we had to have a fish fry!
The hubby battered and fried the walleye, and I made fried potatoes and this coleslaw.
It’s so close to the KFC recipe, I was super excited!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk **
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ** Don't want to buy buttermilk? make your own. Use 1 scant cup of milk (2% or whole works well) and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes, the milk will thicken and begin to get small curds at the bottom -- adjust for this recipe 1/4 cup milk 1/4 Tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar)
- 2-12 ounce bags of slaw mix (the cabbage/carrot mix) (about 8 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons onion, minced
Put slaw mix and onion in a large bowl and give it a toss.
Mix the dressing ingredients together until creamy.
Pour over the top and mix to coat. Cover tightly and leave in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 936 Total Fat: 56g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 38g Cholesterol: 88mg Sodium: 1344mg Carbohydrates: 79g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 38g Protein: 30g
I found the recipe here, and switched it up just a tiny bit.