This fabulous Asian-inspired BBQ recipe for Sweet & Sticky Grilled Chicken will soon be your new favorite chicken recipe! The whole family is sure to love the complex flavors of these simple BBQ Chicken legs. Serve with a side of veggies and rice for a meal that will have them running to the dinner table!
I love just about anything on the grill, but I have to say that grilled chicken is one of my favorites! There’s just something about the flavor that you get – it’s so tasty!
These palatable grilled chicken drumsticks are flavored with a mouth-watering sweet and sticky sauce slathered on top, then marinated overnight. This Asian-inspired sauce is an irresistible mix between barbecue and sweet and sour sauce, with ingredients like brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, honey and soy sauce.
WHAT IS STICKY GRILLED CHICKEN?
Asian-inspired BBQ chicken is perfect for when you want to fire up the grill and elevate your usual cookout menu. Combining simple ingredients like brown sugar, honey, soy sauce and ginger grants this dish the juicy flavors of classic Asian cuisine.
You won’t believe how easy this sticky chicken recipe with honey truly is, either. Simply toss the chicken drumsticks – or thighs, breasts, wings! – in the homemade marinade, let sit overnight and then grill the raw chicken legs for about thirty minutes total.
To make sure that the chicken is done, poke the meat to see if the juices are red or clear. Properly cooked chicken will have clear juices once cut. If the juices are red or have a pinkish color, your chicken will need to be cooked a bit longer.
Best of all? This recipe can be put in an airtight container then frozen and served at a later date. Be sure to label it so that you remember what it is and when you froze it, then place it in the freezer.
Don’t second guess if your chicken is done or not. This Thermapen One is the best meat thermometer I have ever owned!
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET AND STICKY CHICKEN
This delicious recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients that you may already have in the refrigerator or pantry! For the full measurements, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Chicken Legs: Substitute or combine with other chicken pieces such as chicken thighs, chicken breasts and wings!
- Balsamic Vinegar: Adds sweetness and a rich depth of flavor to any dish.
- Honey: Enriches flavor and texture. It is a great natural substitute for sugar.
- Brown Sugar: Commonly used to develop the smoky flavor of sticky marinades.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Provides that classic sticky taste to the marinade.
- Garlic: Provides the bold herb spice to this sauce.
- Ground Ginger: The peppery citrus of ginger adds a savory and sweet taste.
- Black Pepper: Enhances the heat of this dish.
- Green Onions & a Sprinkle of Sesame Seeds: for garnishing
Tip: Want to add a little heat to this dish? Toss in a little fresh ginger, red pepper flakes, chili paste or Sriracha sauce to the marinade!
HOW TO MAKE THIS BBQ STICKY HONEY CHICKEN RECIPE
My recipe for sweet & sticky grilled chicken drumsticks is so incredibly easy to prepare! The perfect meal for a busy weeknight, or a lazy weekend.
In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper for the marinade.
Pour the marinade into a large ziploc bag along with the chicken legs.
Seal and shake to coat.
Place the bag in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, turning several times.
Remove chicken from the bag. Pour the remaining marinade from the zipper bag into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the marinade to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened; about 15 minutes.
Grill the chicken drumsticks at about 350 degrees. Cook for about thirty minutes total, five minutes per side, until the skin is browned with grill marks. Basting every now and then with the marinade. Internal temperature should reach 170 degrees F.
Love them? Pin them!
Don’t forget where you found these incredibly juicy drumsticks! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
What to serve with this JUICY CHICKEN RECIPE
Serve this recipe with plain white rice, basmati rice, or brown rice and a side of vegetables or fresh green beans. If you want to get a little fancy with your rice try one of these delicious rice recipes:
OTHER GRILLING RECIPES TO ENJOY
- Sweet & Spicy Bacon Wrapped Chicken (+ Video) (pictured above)
- Smoked Turkey Recipe
- Glazed Smoked Ham
- Juicy Lucy Burger (Jucy Lucy)
- Grilled Polish Sausage & Sauerkraut
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Grilled Bratwurst & Kraut Meatball Kabobs
- Instant Pot Dr. Pepper BBQ Pork Ribs
- Red, White & Bleu Burger
You can never have too many chicken recipes, right? This easy chicken recipe is a keeper, let’s get to the recipe!
- 6 chicken legs (about 1 ½ lbs) (Feel free to use whatever parts of the chicken your family enjoys)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper for the marinade.
- Pour the marinade into a large zipper bag along with the chicken legs.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, turning several times.
- Remove Chicken from bag.
- Pour the remaining marinade from the zipper bag into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the marinade to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened; about 15 minutes.
- Grill the chicken drumsticks at about 350 degrees. Cook for about thirty minutes total, five minutes per side, until the skin is browned with grill marks. Basting every now and then with the marinade. Internal temperature should reach 170 degrees F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 341mgSodium: 439mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 66g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.
This recipe was originally posted on July 25, 2014. It has been updated to improve user experience and re-shared on July 6, 2022.