Homemade Moose Munch Popcorn is a copycat recipe of the Harry & David popular snack. This is not your average caramel popcorn, it is a chocolate and caramel-coated popcorn with salty almonds and cashews that will have everyone reaching for just one more handful!
Now you can make your own homemade version of this iconic treat! This copy cat Moose Munch recipe has caramel popcorn and nuts that are drizzled in chocolate to perfection. Ultimately making this the finest sweet, salty, and chocolatey bite.
An excellent handcrafted gift that everyone is sure to request every year, this copycat recipe really is a decadent treat for everyone on your list! It is a perfect anytime snack or appetizer for a crowd. Make a large batch before the holidays to add to bags or gift baskets. No one will be able to resist this light, crisp, buttery treat!
WHY IS IT CALLED MOOSE MUNCH?
If you’re not already familiar with moose munch popcorn, it’s a wonderful snack mix created by Harry & David, made from butter toffee caramel popcorn with nuts and chocolate. The name Moose Munch was inspired by Harry & David’s beautiful Pacific Northwest home, where they had the idea of creating a snack that was so yummy that “even the moose would want to munch on it!”
This stuff is light, buttery, sweet and completely addictive. A wonderfully delicious treat for the entire family – perfect for an at-home movie night. This homemade version is even better, too, because it’s fresh from your kitchen! If you don’t finish it as soon as it’s done, it should last around a week in an airtight container before the popcorn gets a little stale tasting.
I have my quarterly Freaky Friday event to thank for finding this wonderful popcorn snack recipe. What is Freaky Friday? Well, it is a good old-fashioned blog hop where me and some of my food blogger buddies are secretly assigned one another blogs to cook/bake from, and we all reveal our recipes at the same time on a Friday morning – and that day is TODAY!
My assigned blog for this summer’s round is The Culinary Compass, a delicious food blog hosted by Sam. Sam graduated with an industrial engineering degree with a minor in food science. She dreamed of studying food abroad, and that is where the idea of her food blog was born. Because even when we can’t travel to all of the places that we would like, we can still have adventures in their cuisine, right? Brilliant!
THE CULINARY COMPASS RECIPES
The minute I was assigned Sam’s blog, I started digging around. I had a list of recipes that I had marked as the ones I wanted to share with you, they were:
MOOSE MUNCH RECIPE
INGREDIENTS FOR CARAMEL CHOCOLATE POPCORN
This recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients that you may already have on hand!
Microwave Popcorn: Popcorn is the star of this recipe! Be sure that unpopped kernels are removed. You can pop your own popcorn in butter oil if you prefer, or use Buttered Microwave Popcorn.
Salted Cashews and Salted Almonds: Gives a wonderfully crunchy texture to the popcorn and pairs well with the chocolate flavors. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: The traditional recipe for this popcorn contains both dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Feel free to use both chocolates if you like! They will be melted and drizzled over the caramel popcorn and nuts.
To make the caramel you will need:
Brown Sugar: The brown sugar combined with the butter gives the popcorn its delicious buttery caramel flavor. Light Corn Syrup: Keeps the popcorn from getting a grainy texture. Salted Butter: Popcorn is just not complete without real butter! It truly complements and enhances the other flavors and the salted butter is the best option for this recipe. Baking Soda: reacts with the hot butter and brown sugar, making it bubble. The result is softer textured caramel popcorn.
HOW TO MAKE MOOSE MUNCH
My recipe for Moose Munch gourmet popcorn is so straightforward to prepare! Please scroll down to the recipe card to see even more detailed steps.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Spread popped popcorn and nuts over the prepared baking sheet.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together. Stirring occasionally.
Bring it to a boil, let it boil for 2 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
Stir in the baking soda.
Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn and nuts and stir to coat.
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven, and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes during the cooking time.
Melt the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring until smooth. Use a fork to drizzle over the top of the popcorn mixture. Let sit on the counter until set.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this delicious copycat of Harry & David’s Moose Munch recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
FAQs About Moose Munch Popcorn
Does Moose Munch Contain Nuts? Yes! This premium popcorn mix contains two kinds of nuts.
What kind of Nuts are in Moose Munch Popcorn? Moose Munch contains both cashews and almonds.
Where is Moose Munch Made? Harry & David’s classic caramel Moose Munch popcorn is made in Medford, Oregon.
OTHER DELICIOUS TREATS TO ENJOY
If you love recipes like this gourmet caramel corn, you are sure to love these other snacks!
- Popcorn Cake (pictured above)
- Peppermint Bark Popcorn
- Popcorn and Snack Mixes
- Spring Candy-Coated Popcorn
- Peppermint Popcorn
- Caramel Churro Chex Mix
- Crack Corn
- Winter Wonderland Snack Mix
- Lucky Charms Snack Mix
A special thank you to Sam, of The Culinary Compass for this amazing recipe! Make sure to check out all of her yummy recipes, you will be glad that you did!
See all of our 2022 Freaky Friday Summer Edition Recipes
Hosted by – An Affair from the Heart
- An Affair from the Heart – Moose Munch Popcorn
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Breakfast Egg Bites
- The Culinary Compass – Pull Apart Garlic Bread
- Devour Dinner – BBQ Nachos
- Family Around the Table – Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Salad
- Feast + West – Peach Whiskey Smash
- Home Cooked Harvest – Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Hostess at Heart – Peanut Butter Cookie
- Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog – Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe
- Life Currents – Jalapeño Poppers Puffs
- Off the Eaten Path – Cheerwine Bourbon Slush Cocktails
- The Speckled Palate – Lemon Cooler Cookies
- Sue Bee Homemaker – Fruit Dip Without Marshmallow Cream
- The Wimpy Vegetarian – How to Make Enchilada Sauce
Let’s make a batch of this yummy popcorn!
- 2 large bags of microwave popcorn, popped,unpopped kernels removed
- 1/4 heaping cup salted cashews
- 1/4 heaping cup salted almonds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread popped popcorn and nuts over the prepared baking sheet.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, brown sugar and corn syrup together. Stirring occasionally. Bring it to a boil, let it boil for 2 minutes, then remove it from the heat. Stir in the baking soda.
- Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn and nuts and stir to coat.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven, and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes during the cooking time.
- Melt the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring until smooth. Use a fork to drizzle over the top of the popcorn mixture. Let sit on the counter until set.
If you choose to pop your own popcorn, pop 1/2 cup of kernels in 3 Tablespoons popcorn oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.