Little King Salad
Before there were Subway Sandwiches, or Blimpie or Jimmy John’s, here where I grew up, we had Little King Deli. If you wanted a deli style hoagie this is where you went. Their signature sandwich, number 11 on the menu (done Little King Style), is The Royal Treat, and THAT it is!! Now when I can’t make it to the deli for a sandwich, I have another option: Little King Salad. It’s like their lip smackin’ sandwich, in a bowl!
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped (Romaine lettuce can be subbed, or use hal iceberg half Romaine)
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced deli turkey, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced hard salami, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 2- 3 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup provolone cheese, chopped (can sub Swiss)
- 4 Italian Hard Rolls, torn into pieces
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Combine the dressing ingredients well. Set aside.
Place the lettuce into a large bowl. Top with meats and cheeses, onions, and tomatoes.
Pour dressing over the top and toss together.
Right before you serve the salad, mix in the torn Italian hard rolls.
I have the deli slice the meat a little thicker. You can use shaved deli meat, but it's prettier if you have it a bit thicker and are able to chop it or Julianne cut it for the salad. I like to cut the meats in different ways just to make it look pretty, but it's not necessary.
If you plan to have leftover salad, add the bread to each individual serving, it will get soggy when it sits for a while.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 684Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1457mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.