Easily prepared, black bean soup, so rich and creamy and full of goodness. You will be amazed at the magnitude of flavors this one offers! Top it however you like!
Warm and comforting. No food makes me happier then sitting down to a piping hot bowl of soup. Soup is my number one comfort food.
This soup? First off it couldn’t be tastier — OR easier to make. But Secondly … It comes HIGHLY recommended. In the last two months, two of my blogging buddies made this recipe found at yet a third blogging buddy’s website. You see, every season a group of us get together and have a good old fashioned bloghop called Freaky Friday. We are secretly assigned a page to cook/bake from and we all reveal our recipes on the same day.
Well, this past Fall, Brandi from Aunt Bee’s Recipes made this Black Bean Soup that she found at her assigned page, LeMoine Family Kitchen. Angela’s recipe only differed slightly from Brandi’s recipe. About a week later, my friend Candi, from The Devilish Dish, made that same soup recipe, and that night she texted me photos of it. She said she couldn’t get over the depth of flavor it had.
The soup starts with red onion and red bell pepper. Saute the two until softened, then add in your spices. Add in canned black beans and stock. Bring to a boil, then blend until smooth.
Top with whatever you desire. We used tortilla strips, cilantro and avocado.
Beans – So delicious and so darn good for you!
So … Before I share the recipe with you, know that I made this, not only because it came so highly recommended, but mainly because my hubby likes black beans. I could typically take them or leave them, and I would never really think to order a soup made of just them. But I made it. My youngest son said his normal, “what’s for dinner?” I told him. His response? “I’ll try it, but that doesn’t sound like something I’d like.” It made enough for the four of us to each have one bowl. He gobbled his up in no time and asked if there was more. Nope. I ate mine, loved it. The next day, I was wishing there were leftovers for lunch. So, will I make this again? Absofreakinglutely — I wanted to make it again the next day! So, Thank you, Angela, Brandi and Candi for turning me on to this awesome new recipe, that has already become a family favorite. Only thing I would change? Double it. 😉
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (about a cup)
- 4 Tablespoons bacon grease (or sub olive oil)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (32 ounce) beef stock (can sub vegetable or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional Toppings: avocado, tortilla strips, cilantro, shredded cheese, diced tomato, sour cream, lime
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon grease, onion and pepper. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic and spices. Cook a couple of minutes more.
- Add in beans and beef stock. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using your hand blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth.
- Return to stove, simmer for another 15 minutes. Soup will thicken.
- Serve hot, topped with desired toppings.
I used the bacon grease, I didn't have any on hand, so I cooked 4 pieces of bacon in my dutch oven before I started.
Original Recipe: LeMoine Family Kitchen