Lemon Blueberry Bars with Cake Mix
These are not “box lemon bars,” but they do use a cake mix. So I guess you would call them mostly homemade? The cake mix combined with butter makes the streusel-like crust, then a homemade lemon cheesecake filling is added.
But don’t stop there, because you’ll top the cheesecake with fresh juicy blueberries, and more of the streusel mix to form that crumb topping. Finish them off with a slightly tart lemon glaze drizzled over the top while they are warm, and you have these bars that are so delicious, you may just think they were heaven sent!
My Favorite Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars for more than a Decade
Weddings and births of babies, growing our families, and losing loved ones. Four decades hold a lot of memories.
Ingredients in blueberry lemon crumble bars
- Butter -salted or unsalted works fine
- Yellow cake mix – gives it that buttery taste!
- Eggs – large eggs
- Lemons – fresh ripe lemons are best
- Cream cheese – full-fat works best.
- Sugar – granulated sugar
- Blueberries – fresh blueberries work best, but you can use frozen in a pinch
- Powdered sugar – for making the icing
How to make lemon blueberry crumble bars
You will find complete measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with foil, extending over the sides. Microwave the butter in a mixing bowl until it melts. Add to this the cake mix, egg, and lemon juice. Beat with a mixer until well blended.
Use 2/3 of this mixture to press into the bottom of the pan.
Beat the softened cream cheese with the sugar. Add remaining egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat.
Spread over the crust. Top with blueberries.
Take the remaining crust and pinch small pieces evenly over the blueberries.
Bake until the center is almost set.
Make a lemon glaze by adding the remaining lemon juice to the powdered sugar until it’s a “drizzle” consistency.
Drizzle the glaze over the warm bars.
Cool completely in the refrigerator (approximately one hour)
Now you can use the foil “handles” to remove the bars from the pan to cut them.
Love them? Pin them!
Don’t forget where you found the recipe for these delicious Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars! Pin them to your favorite Pinterest dessert board before you go!
Do you serve crumb bars warm or cold?
How to store lemon crumble bars
Keep your leftover bars covered tightly and store in the fridge. They will keep for about 4 or 5 days that way, but I seriously doubt you can keep them around that long. In fact, unless you double up the recipe, I think keeping them longer than one or two days will be a stretch…
What to serve with lemon blueberry cheesecake bars
These bars make perfect treats to serve with coffee or tea. But if you are bringing them to serve at brunch, then they actually make a great side for breakfast casseroles or just plain old bacon and eggs.
Notes on serving lemon crumble bars
- Make sure to let the crumble bars cool in the pan long enough before adding the glaze over the top. The bars should be warm enough to allow the glaze to melt a bit, but not so hot the glaze just melts right through the bar. If you can touch it without burning your finger, then that is ok to frost.
- Chill the bars first before removing them from the pan and cutting them into individual bars.
- You can sub nonfat or low-fat cream cheese, but they are so good with the full-fat kind!
More tasty bar recipes to check out
- Strawberry Sour Cream Crumb Bars
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Raisin Spice Bars
- Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Pie Bars with Shortbread Crust
- S’mores Cookie Bars
- Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Rhubarb Crumble Bars (pictured above)
- Salted Nut Roll Bars
- Dutch Letter Bars
- Fresh Orange Bars
Wednesday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Curd Layer Cake by Fresh April Flours
- Lemon Poke Cake by Blogghetti
- Lemonade Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crepes with Lemon Curd and Mascarpone by Art Of Natural Living
- Braided Lemon Bread with Blackberries by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chicken Costoletta by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Lush by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Pudding Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Cheesecake Bombs by Simply Inspired Meals
- One Pot Lemon Garlic Pasta Recipe by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemon Loaf Cake by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Pudding Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars by An Affair From The Heart
- Mini Lemon Cheesecakes by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Lemon Sorbet by Jen Around The World
- Lemon Blueberry Waffles by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies by Home Cooked Harvest
- Lemon Rosemary Marmalade by That Recipe
- Lemon Crepes by The Redhead Baker
- Glazed Lemon Bundt Cake by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Lemon Coriander Soup by Magical Ingredients
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 package of yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 medium sized lemons, one zested and both squeezed.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 pints of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×13 pan with foil, extending over the sides. Microwave the butter in a mixing bowl until it melts. Add to this the cake mix, 1 egg and 2 T of lemon juice. Beat with a mixer until well blended.
- Use 2/3 of this mixture to press into the bottom of the pan.
- Beat the softened cream cheese with the sugar. Add remaining egg, 2 t. of lemon zest, and 2 T. lemon juice. Beat.
- Spread over the crust. Top with blueberries.
- Take the remaining crust and pinch small pieces evenly over the blueberries.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the center is almost set.
- Make a lemon glaze by adding the remaining lemon juice to the powdered sugar until it’s a “drizzle” consistency.
- drizzle the glaze over the warm bars.
- Cool completely in the refrigerator (approximately one hour)
- Now you can use the foil “handles” to remove the bars from the pan to cut them.
I recommend using fresh blueberries, but frozen blueberries work, too.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 2gSugar: 42gProtein: 3g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #LemonWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Rodelle Prize Pack
Rodelle Prize Pack includes:
2 count Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Beans
2oz Almond Extract
4oz Natural Baker’s Extract
4oz Vanilla Paste
8oz Gourmet Vanilla Extract
25oz Organic Baking Cocoa
Prize #2: La Tourangelle Prize Pack
La Tourangelle Prize Pack includes:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Roasted Walnut Oil
Regenerative Sunflower Oil
4oz Vanilla Paste
Fleur de Sel Almond Butter
I first posted these Lemon Blueberry Bars on September 23, 2011. They have been updated to improve user experience and re-shared on May 24, 2022.