Spiced with tasty herbs, this Creamy Lemon Basil Shrimp Pasta is perfect for a refreshingly elevated weeknight dinner. Buttery, garlicky shrimp top this zesty pasta dish to perfection!
Lemon Basil Pasta with Shrimp delivers bold, zesty flavor with minimal effort. It’s the perfect dish to make when you need something filling and satisfying on the table in 30 minutes.
One thing that I personally love about this easy pasta dinner is that you probably have most of these ingredients already in your fridge and pantry. The ingredients are simple and can be switched out easily. Feel free to leave out the shrimp, substitute grilled chicken, or use whole wheat or rice-based gluten-free noodles.
Want other warm, delicious pasta dishes to try? Try my Creamy Baked Chicken Pasta with Bacon or my Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas with Cilantro Lime Butter!
Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I may have received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts! Enter to win the prize package at the bottom of this recipe post!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SHRIMP PASTA?
Looking for more tasty seafood dishes to make at home? Try my Tuna Spaghetti, Blackened Salmon Burgers with BLT Slaw, or my Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas with Cilantro Lime Butter!
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON SHRIMP PASTA
- Olive Oil and Flour: Crucial ingredients for the roux, which makes the base of the creamy Parmesan sauce.
- Garlic: Also added to roux after mincing, this gives the sauce a great burst of flavor.
- Chicken Stock: Absorbs into the pasta, giving it an added bit of flavor and thickens to create a savory sauce.
- Cheese: Parmesan, Romano and Asiago are suggested. Top with Parmesan flakes for a finished look and delicious taste.
- Milk: Gives the sauce an extra creamy boost.
- Cracked Pepper and Sea Salt: Added on top to taste.
- Lemon: Used the zest and the juice of a large lemon to give added bright citrus flavor.
- Basil: Can substitute fresh dill if basil is not of your liking.
- Italian Parsley: Fresh, bright green parsley is preferred for a lovely herbal flavor.
- Shrimp: Frozen cooked shrimp was used for this recipe. If you choose to use raw shrimp, saute them in the garlic and olive oil before making the sauce. When the shrimp are pink, remove them from the skillet, prepare the sauce, then add them back in. Can use chicken as a substitute or leave out completely.
- Spaghetti Noodles: These noodles are prepared al dente, as the noodles will continue to cook while in the heated creamy sauce. Long pasta is preferred and linguini can be substituted for spaghetti.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE LEMON AND SHRIMP PASTA
Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain, preserve, a bit of pasta water, and set pasta aside.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, and minced garlic for a couple of minutes. Make your roux by whisking in the flour until smooth paste forms.
Add in the chicken stock and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly while the mixture thickens. Turn the heat off and whisk in a little more than half of the shredded cheese until smooth.
Whisk milk into the cheese sauce and salt and pepper to your liking.
Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir in shrimp and turn the stove on low. Heat until sauce and shrimp are hot. If the sauce begins to get too thick, thin by adding a bit of the pasta water to get to your desired thickness. Stir in fresh basil and Italian parsley. Add in cooked pasta and stir to coat in sauce.
Serve hot, topped with more cheese.
Love this? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this savory pasta recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES TO ENJOY
- Sesame Cilantro Shrimp (pictured above)
- Sweet Heat Asian Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Thai Shrimp & Rice Noodle Salad
- Lemon Basil Pasta
Monday’s #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Fresh April Flours
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Feta by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake No Churn Ice Cream by Blogghetti
- Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Egg Lemon Soup with Spinach by Art Of Natural Living
- Lemon Shortbread Bars by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Butter Salmon by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Curd by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Curd Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Donuts by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Fruit Dip by Simply Inspired Meals
- Lemonade Bundt Cake by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Gluten-Free Lemon Almond Cake by The Spiffy Cookie
- Creamy Lemon Basil Shrimp Pasta– by An Affair From The Heart
- Lemon Cupcakes by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- 15 Minute Lemon Pasta by Jen Around The World
- Lemon Cheesecake by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon Smoothie by Home Cooked Harvest
- Aromatic Lemon Chicken by That Recipe
- Lemon Pound Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Muffins with Lemon Drizzle by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Lemon Garlic Pasta by Magical Ingredients
Let’s mix up this creamy lemon pasta dish!
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Parmesan/Romano/Asiago Cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- freshly cracked pepper and sea salt, to taste
- zest of one large lemon (about 2-3 teaspoons)
- juice of one large lemon (about 2-3 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces frozen shrimp, peeled, deveined (cooked or uncooked *see notes) thawed
- 9 ounce package of spaghetti, prepared al dente
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain, preserve, a bit of pasta water, and set pasta aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, and minced garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Make your roux by whisking in the flour until smooth paste forms.
- Add in the chicken stock and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly while the mixture thickens.
- Turn the heat off and whisk in a little more than half of the shredded cheese until smooth.
- Whisk milk into the cheese sauce and salt and pepper to your liking.
- Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir in shrimp and turn the stove on low. Heat until sauce and shrimp are hot. If the sauce begins to get too thick, thin by adding a bit of the pasta water to get to your desired thickness.
- Stir in fresh basil and Italian parsley. Add in cooked pasta and stir to coat in sauce.
- Serve hot, topped with more cheese.
* I used frozen cooked shrimp for this recipe. If you choose to use raw shrimp, Saute them in the garlic and olive oil before making the sauce. When the shrimp are pink, remove them from the skillet, prepare the sauce, then add them back in.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 1423mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 31g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #LemonWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Rodelle Prize Pack
Rodelle Prize Pack includes:
2 count Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Beans
2oz Almond Extract
4oz Natural Baker’s Extract
4oz Vanilla Paste
8oz Gourmet Vanilla Extract
25oz Organic Baking Cocoa
Prize #2: La Tourangelle Prize Pack
La Tourangelle Prize Pack includes:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Roasted Walnut Oil
Regenerative Sunflower Oil
4oz Vanilla Paste
Fleur de Sel Almond Butter