This delicious Honey Bun Cake could very well be a new family favorite! A moist yellow cake, with an incredibly sweet brown sugar and cinnamon swirl, topped with a vanilla glaze. This super easy cake starts with a boxed yellow cake mix and gets its moisture from the addition of sour cream. So good, you’ll want to eat it for breakfast!
A while back I was looking for something quick to make for dessert, and all I had in the pantry was a yellow cake mix. I did a little google search and this Betty Crocker Honey Bun Cake recipe popped up. I had everything that I needed to make it! I opted to bake this dessert without pecans added to the swirl of cinnamon, however, it is delicious both ways!
Although I originally found this recipe on a Betty Crocker website, it does not need to be made with Betty Crocker cake mix. Any yellow cake mix will do.
WHAT IS DUNCAN HINES HONEYBUN CAKE?
This sweet treat is pure nostalgia! Do you remember eating the fantastically sweet Little Debbie Honey Buns as a child? (Or maybe you have indulged in one of those sweet rolls a bit more recently – no judgment here!) With just a few simple ingredients, this cake imitates the sticky, satisfying sweetness of a store-bought honey bun.
Get ready to enjoy this incredibly easy Honey Bun Cake with just a few simple ingredients that you more than likely already have on hand! Starting with a box of cake mix makes this dessert so unbelievably effortless. To add a lovely cinnamon swirl, mix in tasty ingredients like brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. To finish, top with a warm and creamy vanilla glaze.
A future family favorite, serve this moist cake as a dessert or as a breakfast cake with a glass of milk! Use the typical 9×13 pan or even a bundt cake pan!
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY HONEY BUN CAKE WITH SWEET VANILLA GLAZE
This recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients that you may already have in the refrigerator or pantry! For the full measurements, scroll down to the recipe card.
FOR THE CAKE
- Yellow Cake Mix: use your favorite brand or your own homemade yellow cake recipe. I have been told that Duncan Hines golden butter cake mix is also delicious in this recipe!
- Vegetable Oil: Adds more moisture to this yummy cake.
- Eggs: Provides structure, flavor, and richness to baked goods.
- Sour Cream: Gives the cake its moisture and an excellent soft, fluffy texture.
- Brown Sugar: Along with cinnamon, brown sugar is added for a boost of flavor.
- Pecans: Chopped pecans add a crunchy texture and flavor but can be left out if preferred.
- Ground Cinnamon: There is no substitute for cinnamon – it imparts a delicious cinnamon swirl flavor to this cake.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Powdered Sugar: Used as the base for the vanilla glaze.
- Milk: Adds a thicker texture to the glazed topping.
- Vanilla Extract: Gives the lovely vanilla flavor to the glaze.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY BUN CAKE WITH A BOX OF YELLOW CAKE MIX
My recipe for honey bun dessert is so incredibly easy to prepare! To see even more detailed steps, please scroll down to the recipe card.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. (Or grease and lightly dust with all purpose flour) Set aside.
In a large bowl, using your electric mixer, beat together cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and sour cream. Mix on low speed for about 30 seconds until the ingredients are moistened. Turn mixer to medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
In a small separate bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon together with a fork (add in chopped pecans if using) until mixed together.
Spread half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over the top. Pour the rest of the batter over the top and carefully spread it to cover the cinnamon sugar.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the cake is a deep golden brown color, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Prick the top of the cake with the tines of a fork while it’s warm.
Mix the glaze ingredients together and spread over warm cake. Add a little more milk if needed to get the glaze your desired consistency.
Cool completely. Store covered in an airtight container. The cake will last at least 4-5 days.
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Don’t forget where you found this sweet cake recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go.
An Affair from the Heart in Omaha Magazine’s Annual Food Edition
Before we go, I wanted to take a second and share with you something that happened just last week. I was featured in Omaha Magazine’s 2022 Food Edition. I was so tickled to be asked, as it has been a bucket list item of mine! I was out of town when it arrived, and a friend texted to tell me she saw me in it. I couldn’t wait to hold it in my hands!
I had my youngest daughter snap a quick photo or two of me with the magazine when I returned home. A big thank you to Omaha Magazine for including me!
You can read the article online if you aren’t a subscriber.
OTHER SWEET RECIPES TO ENJOY
- Baked King Cake Donuts (Cinnamon Vanilla Donuts)
- Candy Corn Cupcakes
- Lemon Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
- Hamburger Cupcakes
- Coconut Pudding Poke Cake
- Raisin Spice Bars
- Black Forest Cake
- Fresh Apple Cake
Let’s bake up this cinnamon roll cake!
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (one 8 ounce container) sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. (or grease and lightly flour it) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using your mixer, beat together cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and sour cream. Mix on low speed for about 30 seconds until the ingredients are moistened. Turn mixer to medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small separate bowl. mix brown sugar and cinnamon together with a fork (add in chopped pecans if using.) until mixed together.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture evenly over the top. Pour the remaining cake batter over the top and carefully spread it to cover the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the cake is a deep golden brown color, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Prick the top of the cake with the tines of a fork while it's warm.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together and spread over warm cake. Add a little more milk if needed to get the glaze your desired consistency.
- Cool completely. Store covered.
This cake also works really well baked in a bundt pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.