Warm and fruity Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert is best topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s the ultimate late spring or summertime treat!
It’s rhubarb season! If you are a fan of rhubarb like I am, you love when rhubarb starts popping up in the farmers market and grocery store in the early summer months. This strawberry rhubarb dessert recipe is filled with delicious ingredients like marshmallows, fresh rhubarb, and creamy butter, this Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler is an absolute hit at parties and get-togethers. You will want to keep this recipe handy because you will be asked for it over and over!
This inviting dessert can be topped with ice cream or whipped cream for a deliciously warm and cold pairing. Try it with my Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream recipe.
WHAT MAKES STRAWBERRY RHUBARB DESSERT SO EASY?
White cake mix and strawberry jello aren’t just fun ingredients – they also make this recipe so painless. You might even have a lot of these yummy components already in your fridge and pantry.
Although this dessert is filled with juicy ruby red deliciousness, the top layer actually has a soft crunchiness. The flavor of sweet strawberries blend perfectly with the taste of tart rhubarb. It really has everything you would ever want in a baked treat.
Using strawberry jello and cake mix, makes this dessert similar to a strawberry rhubarb dump cake – although it doesn’t have a “cake texture” in the true sense fo the word. It is a great mix between a dump cake, a rhubarb crisp and a strawberry rhubarb cobbler.
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COBBLER RECIPE
This recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients that you may already have in the refrigerator or pantry! For the full measurements, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Rhubarb: This vegetable is truly a delightful balance of sweet and sour, making it perfect for desserts!
- Marshmallows: Can use either 1 cup of miniature marshmallows or 10 regular marshmallows, quartered. the marshmallows add to the sweetness of the dessert.
- Sugar: Mixed with the strawberry jello, sugar also helps balance out the tartness of the rhubarb.
- Strawberry Jello: Adding jello gives you tons of strawberry flavor in a snap!
- White Cake Mix: Helps to make this recipe so simple! Can substitute yellow cake mix if preferred.
- Butter: Creates light and tender texture to the dessert.
- Water: Brings all of the elements of the cobbler together, adding moistness and tenderness to the rhubarb while it bakes.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST STRAWBERRY RHUBARB DUMB CAKE
My recipe for this rhubarb dessert is so incredibly easy to prepare! To see even more detailed steps, please scroll down to the recipe card.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Place rhubarb in the bottom of the baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Top evenly with marshmallows.
Mix together dry jello and sugar, and sprinkle over the marshmallows and rhubarb.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cake mix and the melted butter until crumbly.
Sprinkle crumbled mixture over the top. Pour water over the top.
Bake for one hour. The top will be a nice golden brown color.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator, in an airtight contain, or cover the baking dish with plastic wrap for up to 4 days.
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Don’t forget where you found this sweet treat! Pin it to your favorite easy recipes board on Pinterest before you go!
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT RHUBARB
Rhubarb is a great dark green leafy vegetable. It’s not citrus but it is sourer than a lemon or lime.
As an ingredient in pies and jams, it has been the secret to success for centuries. However, you have to know a bit about using rhubarb if you aren’t familiar. Especially when cooking and baking with fresh rhubarb.
For starters, do not cook with the leaves. Toss them in your compost or trash. I know it seems like those dark green leaves would be fun to try in a salad, but they are super high in oxalic acid.
IS RHUBARB POISONOUS?
Not poisonous, but oxalic acid is only good in very small amounts. Too much should be avoided.
Oxalic acid s known to be a root cause of kidney stones. You definitely don’t want to go down that road. So best to just remove the spine and dispose of the green leaves properly. The spine is safe to eat. The leaves definitely are not.
Luckily, if you are planning on using canned or frozen rhubarb then no worries.
WHAT DOES RHUBARB TASTE LIKE?
Rhubarb is definitely described as sour. Its tart flavor can feel citrusy, but it will make you pucker like if you were eating a tart green apple or green grape! That is why many people will pair them with strawberries, to bring out the sweetness in desserts.
IS RHUBARB GOOD FOR YOU?
Don’t let the leafy greens of the rhubarb plants scare you off. The stalks are fine. In fact, they are super high in lots of things you do need, like fiber, vitamin C, and many essential minerals, like manganese, potassium, calcium, and vitamin K.
OTHER SWEET RECIPES TO ENJOY
I have all sorts of desserts that use rhubarb, and fresh strawberries in them. Fruits desserts and fruit crisps have been a long time favorite of mine.
Favorite Rhubarb Recipes:
- Lemon Rhubarb Bundt Cake
- Fresh Rhubarb Cake
- Grandma’s Rhubarb Pie – If you are used to strawberry rhubarb pie, give this one a try! It gets its sweetness from plump golden raisins! Plus a homemade pie crust, too!
- Rhubarb Crumble Bars – (pictured above) the crisp topping on these will make you swoon!
Favorite Fruit Desserts:
- Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Sour Cream Crumb Pie Bars
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Easy Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Cherry Filled Coffee Cake
- Apple Crisp – the crumble topping on this fruit crisp is made with old-fashioned oats. A perfect dessert any time of the year!
Ready to bake up this simple rhubarb cobbler recipe? Let’s get to it!
- 4 cups fresh Rhubarb, diced
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows, or 10 regular marshmallows, quartered
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry Jello
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box of white cake mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place rhubarb in the bottom of the baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Top evenly with marshmallows.
- Mix together dry jello and sugar, and sprinkle over the marshmallows and rhubarb.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix and the melted butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumbled mixture over the top.
- Pour water over the top.
- Bake for one hour.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Okay to substitute yellow cake mix
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 1g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.