Fluffy and moist bakery-style lemon muffins with a wonderful streusel crumb topping, baked golden brown and glazed with a sweet-tart lemon glaze. You will want to make these muffins again and again!
Fresh from the oven, these muffins are filled with real lemon flavor that you just can’t get from store bought. They are like little bursts of sunshine with zesty, sweet flavor.
My easy Lemon Crumb Muffins recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch or a sweet grab-and-go snack! Bring these fluffy treats with you on a lovely spring picnic in the park for a fun change to your daily routine. Having the winter blues? Bake up a batch to brighten your day.
Easy to find ingredients such as sour cream, lemon and butter give these delicious treats their soft and moist texture plus a subtle citrus flavor. Additionally, these sweet snacks can be made up to a week in advance if kept in the refrigerator.
Want other zesty desserts to try? Try my Lemon Sweet Rolls or my Lemon Cheesecake Bars!
Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I may have received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts! Enter to win the prize package at the bottom of this recipe post!
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO THE BEST MUFFIN?
Looking for more of the best muffin recipes to make at home? Try my Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, Spiced Glazed Muffins or my Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins!
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
This recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients that you may already have in the refrigerator or pantry! For the full measurements, scroll down to the recipe card.
FOR THE MUFFINS
- Flour: Provides structure to any baked good.
- Butter: Although oil can be used instead, for these muffins, butter is preferred to balance out the wet ingredients.
- Sugar: Helps keep the muffins fluffy while balancing the tang of the lemon flavor.
- Sour Cream: Key ingredient in making the muffins more soft and moist.
- Eggs: Provides structure, flavor and richness to baked goods.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest are used in this recipe to give it a fresh taste. Adding other fruits such as raspberries or blueberries would also be a tasty option.
- Vanilla Extract: Perfectly balances the citrus flavors with sweetness.
- Baking Soda: Used to make the batter rise.
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- Flour: Gives crumb topping structure and texture.
- White Sugar and Light Brown Sugar: Keeps the mixture ultra moist while also adding an extra depth of flavor by combining two types of sugar.
- Butter: Melted butter is used to help the topping rise while giving it a nice crumble texture.
- Salt: Balances the sweet ingredients while also perking up the complexity of the other flavors.
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
- Powdered Sugar: Used as the base for the lemon glaze for muffins.
- Melted Honey: Adds a thicker texture to the glazed topping and blends well with the tang of the lemon.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Gives the zesty taste to the glaze.
HOW TO MAKE BEST LEMON MUFFINS WITH CRUMB TOPPING
My recipe for lemon sour cream muffins is so incredibly easy to prepare! To see even more detailed steps, please scroll down to the recipe card.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
To prepare the muffin batter: In a large mixing bowl, with a mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add in sugar and combine thoroughly. Add in eggs, vanilla, sour cream, lemon zest & juice, and mix until incorporated.
Sift the flour and baking soda into the wet ingredients, and stir until combined.
To prepare the streusel topping: Combine the streusel ingredients together with a fork, until mixed and crumble-like.
Evenly distribute the batter into 12 muffin cups. Top with the crumble topping.
Place the muffins in the preheated oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350. Bake for approximately 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool muffins in the pan for about 10 minutes before glazing.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON GLAZE FOR MUFFINS
Whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth.
Drizzle over the tops of the warm muffins.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this fluffy lemon crumb muffin recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
OTHER LEMON DESSERT RECIPES TO ENJOY
- Lemon Sweet Rolls (pictured above)
- Blueberry Lemon Pull-Apart Bread
- Lemon Whippersnappers
- Baked Glazed Lemon Donuts
- Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Lemon Icebox Pie
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle
- Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
My Lemon Week Recipes:
Creamy Lemon Basil Shrimp Pasta
Friday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls by Fresh April Flours
- Grilled Chicken Piccata by Palatable Pastime
- Creamy Lemon Smoothie Recipe by Blogghetti
- Gluten Free Lemon Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Tarragon Salmon by Art Of Natural Living
- Meyer Lemon Vanilla Shortbread Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Poppy Seed Thumb Print Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Pasta by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Tea Bread by The Freshman Cook
- Homemade Lemon Cake by Simply Inspired Meals
- Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemony Shrimp Pasta by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Rosemary Watermelon Lemonade by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Crumb Muffins with Lemon Glaze by An Affair From The Heart
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Ina Garten’s Lemon Chicken by Jen Around The World
- Lemon Ice Cream by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake by Home Cooked Harvest
- Grilled Lemon Herb Flatbread by That Recipe
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake by The Redhead Baker
- Oven Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken and Gnocchi by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Dragonfruit Lemonade by Magical Ingredients
Let’s bake up a tasty batch of muffins!Yield: one dozen
Lemon Crumb Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Fluffy and moist bakery-style lemon muffins with a wonderful streusel crumb topping, baked golden brown and glazed with a sweet-tart lemon glaze. You will want to make these muffins again and again!Prep Time 10 minutesCook Time 22 minutesAdditional Time 10 minutesTotal Time 42 minutes
- For the Muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- 5 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon melted honey
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To prepare the muffin batter: In a large mixing bowl, with a mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add in sugar and combine thoroughly. Add in eggs, vanilla, sour cream, lemon zest & juice, and mix until incorporated. Sift the flour and baking soda into the wet ingredients, and stir until combined.
- To prepare the streusel topping: Combine the streusel ingredients together with a with a fork, until mixed and crumble-like.
- Evenly distribute the batter into 12 muffin cups. Top with the crumble topping.
- Place the muffins in the preheated oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350. Bake for approximately 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the pan for about 10 minutes before glazing.
- To prepare the glaze: whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the tops of the warm muffins.
These muffins have a subtle lemon flavor. If you want more of a lemony taste, add more zest to the muffin batter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 4g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #LemonWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Rodelle Prize Pack
Rodelle Prize Pack includes:
2 count Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Beans
2oz Almond Extract
4oz Natural Baker’s Extract
4oz Vanilla Paste
8oz Gourmet Vanilla Extract
25oz Organic Baking Cocoa
Prize #2: La Tourangelle Prize Pack
La Tourangelle Prize Pack includes:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Roasted Walnut Oil
Regenerative Sunflower Oil
4oz Vanilla Paste
Fleur de Sel Almond Butter
Leave a Reply