Ghostly Pop Tarts are scary cute! So whether you need treats to bake for your Halloween party, or a fun Halloween breakfast for the kids, these are perfect! They are so easy to make, with a handful of ingredients, filled with cherry jam and frosted before adding on their ghostly facial expressions with black decorator icing. Kids of all ages will love these delicious homemade pop tarts!
Don’t run screaming the other way thinking that making your own homemade pop tarts is going to be difficult! They take no time at all, use a refrigerated pie crust, store-bought cherry jam, and frosted with a vanilla frosting of powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. You’ll have the family out of bed faster than you can say “Boo!” when they catch a whiff!
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & it’s a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes, and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
Homemade Pop Tart Ghosts are easy to make. The spooky thing is how quickly they disappear. Now you see them. Now you don’t. But you still hear that sound… That munching… Crunching… Sound. You cannot escape it. Don’t even try.
And those smiles… You won’t be able to get those smiles out of your head.
The Ingredients In Simple Ghost Pop Tarts
Here is what you will need:
- pie crust
- egg white
- cherry jam (or other red jam, raspberry, strawberry)
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- black decorator icing
You can find these sorts of cookie cutters everywhere prior to Halloween if you don’t already have some. Target, Walmart, Dollar Store, you name it and they carry them for a month or two ahead of Halloween. You can find these ghost-shaped cookie cutters on Amazon.
Steps To Making Halloween Ghost Poptarts
Start with your pie crust. Roll it out to flatten it and get it about a 1/6 of an inch thick. You can get pre-made pie dough to keep things super simple, or you can make your own too. I mean if you are feeling possessed by a supernatural spirit bent on making homemade pie crust.
Finding Halloween-inspired parchment paper is pretty easy around Halloween, too. Does it make them taste better? Maybe it is the secret ingredient, like the Eye of Newt added to the Witches’ Brew, but probably not. It doesn’t add flavor but it sure does look pretty cool. I got this Hocus Pocus parchment at Home Goods.
Next – lay the cutouts on the cookie sheet.
Put a teaspoonful of jam in the middle. Avoid the temptation to use more. You don’t want it to leak out.
Use an eggwash around the edges.
Add the top cutout crust, and use a fork to seal the edges. Brush them again with egg wash.
Bake until golden brown.
Let them cool completely before adding the frosting. C’mon, what is a pop tart without the icing?
Finally, Add the icing and let set up.
Draw on the faces with Black Decorator Icing. I used a toothpick to help get it like I wanted it.
Happy ghosts, angry ghosts, spooky ghosts? You decide. I’ll go with happy because it’s time to eat!
Love them? Pin Them!
Don’t forget where you found these cute little homemade Halloween Pop tarts! Pin them to your favorite recipe board before you go!
Here are my other two #HalloweenTreatsWeek Recipes for 2021
It’s Giveaway Time!
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th – October 15th at 11:59 PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winner. No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
More Halloween Snack Ideas
- Halloween Double Peanut Butter Muddy Buddies
- Eye-Love Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Sweet And Savory Halloween Snack Board
- Cocoa Krispy Owls
- Halloween Trash Snack Mix
Let’s get to this easy pop tart recipe!
- 1 package (2 crusts) refrigerated pie crust (or your own homemade)
- 1 egg white + 1 Tablespoon water
- Cherry jam (or other red jam, raspberry, strawberry)
- 1 cup powderd sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- black decorator icing for eyes and mouth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together an egg wash by whisking egg white and water together.
- Roll pie crust out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut shapes with ghost cookie cutters. (or another shape) Lay flat onto the cookie sheet.
- Put about 1 teaspoon of cherry jam in the center of each ghost cutout, keeping it in the middle. Run a pastry brush with egg wash around the edge.
- Egg wash another ghost cutout and place the egg-washed side down on top of a jam-filled cutout. Using the tines of a fork, press the edges together to keep the filling in.
- Egg wash the tops of each pop tart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops are a light golden brown. Remove and cool before glazing.
- To glaze: whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until its the desired consistency. I like to microwave mine for 10-20 seconds before glazing. It sets quicker.
- Decorate: I used a small decorator tip for the black icing and touched it up with a toothpick.
- After they set, serve. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
My cookie cutters measured 2"x3" so the amount it makes and how much jam for the inside can vary based on the size of your cookie cutter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton Black Icing Tube
Whisks for Cooking, 3 Pack Stainless Steel Whisk 8"+10"+12"
WILTON 3 Piece Halloween Cookie Cutter Set
Reynolds Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper
KitchenAid Gourmet Rolling Pin
Offset Spatula , SIMEEGO Icing Spatula Set with 6 8 10 Inch Stainless Steel Blades
13x18 Half Sheet Pan
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 49mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Jack-O-Lantern Apple Slice Pops from Big Bear’s Wife
- Monster Eyeball Cupcakes from Semi-Homemade Recipes
- Ghost Meringue Cookies from Jen Around the World
- Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies from Pint Sized Baker
- Graveyard Pudding Cups from Fresh April Flours
- Churro Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Halloween Monster Donuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Witches’ Brew Whiskey Sour from The Redhead Baker
- Witches Hat Cheese Ball from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Pumpkin Swirl Brownies from Eat Move Make
- Layered Halloween Jello from House of Nash Eats
- Mummy Wrapped Brie from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mummy Cupcakes from The Flour Handprint
- Halloween Candy Cracker Toffee from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Old Fashioned Apple Fritters from It’s Shanaka
- Pumpkin Mint Patties from Sweet Beginnings
- Butterfinger Ice Cream (No-Churn) from Pastry Chef Online
- Chocolate Frogs from The Spiffy Cookie
- Halloween Cupcake Treat Board from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Skull Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Halloween Brownie Pizza from Back To My Southern Roots
- Halloween Mini Bat Taco Cheeseballs from Savory Moments
- Ghostly Poptarts from An Affair from the Heart
- Deadly Dark Chocolate Layer Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.