Three ingredient Halloween chocolate sugar cookies – takes about 20 minutes to make two dozen of these soft and chewy chocolate sugar cookies. Add on some candy eyeballs and let the fun begin! “Eye Love ’em – and I am sure you will, too!”
How do you feel about Halloween? Well, EYE LOVE IT! (and EYE LOVE chocolate sugar cookies, too!)
I especially loved it when my kids were small. The dressing up in the costumes they chose, handing out candy, walking through the crunchy leaves on a cold night, stealing all of their Snicker candy bars when they went to bed …. (c’mon, you know you do it, too.)
The Halloween parties at school were always fun. I was a room mom for a whole lotta years. Planning the treats, the games and then watching the parade of kiddos in their get-ups. Always a good time. Well, this year, I don’t have any little ones to fawn over, but I do have a grandpuppy that is dressing up like a hotdog, so I have that.
This post/recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
SOME OF THE ITEMS BELOW CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS; I AM A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES. I AM ALSO AN AFFILIATE FOR OTHER BRANDS. HOWEVER, I ONLY PROMOTE THINGS THAT I LOVE AND THINK YOU WILL LOVE, TOO. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies with Candy Eyeballs
These Halloween themed chocolate sugar cookies will be the perfect treat for your little (or big) ghouls and goblins. They are a snap to make, only 3 ingredients, 4 if you count the candy eyeballs!
They would make a fun bake with kids afternoon project. And a great dessert after Halloween dinner.
These cookies are my first post for a group I am in this week called Halloween Treats Week. I can’t wait to share all of my new recipes with you, along with tons more from all of the talented bloggers who are involved. There are always some amazing prizes to win, so keep reading to see those!
Find all of the prizes and the giveaway entry below the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
How can these chocolate sugar cookies only have 4 ingredients?
When I was trying to decide what to make for the Halloween event, I saw a recipe online for a chocolate chocolate chip cookie that started with refrigerated cookie dough, and I thought, “I wonder if that would work for sugar cookies, too?” So I gave it a go, and it worked GREAT!
*technically the chocolate cookie recipe only has 3 ingredients – 4 if you count the decorations!
Ingredients in Halloween Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- cocoa powder
- chocolate kiss or chocolate star candies
- eyeballs for decoration
How to make Eye Love Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Let the sugar cookie dough soften a bit on the counter before you mix it together with the cocoa powder.
I will admit, I wondered if they would be dry, or if they would be sweet enough. They were soft and chewy, as it should be!
I felt like they were sweet enough without the Hershey’s Kisses, but in my world, you can never have too much chocolate, plus the melted kisses held the eyeballs in place!
Roll the dough into balls, and place on your cookie sheet. When they are baked and still hot, press a kiss into the center of the cookie and let it melt.
I put some of the kisses in tip down and some of them tip up, they gave the cookies totally different looks. I liked how the bigger sized candy eyeball pressed into the kiss that was placed tip up made the chocolate ooze out around the eyeball.
The ones I place tip down I used the smaller candy eyes. Or you can smooth the tip down while the chocolate is warm, that works, too.
I love the look of both – but I felt like the smaller eyes needed multiple. Where the bigger ones were fun with just one.
I haven’t had as much luck finding the bigger sized ones that measure about 3/4″ – if you find some grab them!
Here’s looking at you, kid!
A simple cookie recipe for soft, chewy, double chocolate-y sugar cookies. All dressed up for Halloween.
Love them? Pin them!
Don’t forget where you found this simple chocolate sugar cookie recipe! You will want it for your upcoming Halloween party, and it would be scary if you couldn’t remember where you found the recipe! Pin them to your favorite Pinterest board so you can find them easily.
Tips & Ideas for making Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- How do I get the cookies the same size? – I find that it works best to divide the cookie dough in half and to keep dividing it into equal parts a bit at a time, then the dough balls were all the same size. So each half became a quarter, then I broke that quarter into 3 equal pieces. All of my cookies were pretty much the same size.
- My cookies never turn out chewy, why? – Chances are you are baking them too long. I like to take my cookies out before they are 100% done, then let them sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Typically, I bake a cookie recipe the first time about 2 minutes under the shortest time given and adjust the recipe according to my oven.
- I don’t have any candy eyeballs, what can I use instead? – You could use a white chocolate kiss and use frosting or a chocolate chip of the middle of the eye, or you could pipe on some frosting. You could leave the eyes off completely and just sprinkle the warm chocolate kiss with Halloween sprinkles, too.
Recipes Using Candy Eyeballs
So, you bought some candy eyeballs, and you need some ideas to use them. I have a few fun recipes with “eyes” – some candy and some not, but they are all super fun! Check them out:
- Cocoa Krispy Owls – fun little chocolate rice Krispy treats with Oreo and M&M eyes
- Here’s Peeking at You Owl Cupcakes – chocolate cupcakes made into owls with Oreo eyes
- Apple “Donut” Monsters – apples sliced like donuts frosted with cream cheese, chocolate and peanut butter frosting, dressed up with eyeballs.
- Halloween White Trash Snack Mix – a sweet & salty snack mix, with cereal, peanuts, pretzels, candy corn and candy eyes, all covered in vanilla almond bark.
- Halloween Double Peanut Butter Muddy Buddies – chocolate and peanut butter Chex cereal, coated in peanut butter and melted chocolate, then tossed in powdered sugar and sprinkles. Add in some candy corn and candy eyeballs and you have a super fun and tasty mix! (pictured above)
- Pizza Monster Sandwiches – Frightfully fun sandwiches with pizza sauce, chicken nuggets, mozzarella cheese, on grilled garlic bread — but the “eyeball olives” seal the deal!
I hope you and your little witches and warlocks enjoy these! You know EYE LOVE Chocolate Sugar Cookies!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 33Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Cake Mix Monster Cookies from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Bar Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Oreo Mummy Cookies from Savory Experiments
- Easy Halloween Cake Mix Sprinkle Cookies from Family Around the Table
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars from House of Nash Eats
- Eye Love Chocolate Sugar Cookies from An Affair From the Heart
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars form Back To My Southern Roots
Halloween Cakes & Cupcakes:
- Bloody Broken Glass Red Velvet Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Halloween Bats Oreo Cupcakes from Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Frosting from The Flour Handprint
- The Scream Brownies from West Via Midwest
- Halloween Monster Chocolate Cake Brownies from JZ Eats
- Halloween Marshmallow Brownies from Sweet Beginnings
- Halloween Mini S’mores Pudding Pies from For the Love of Food
- Jack Skellington Boo-berry Pie from Savory Moments
- Halloween Smoothie Bowl from Fresh Coast Eats
- Halloween Pancakes from I Am A Honeybee
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts from Pastry Chef Online
- Bloody Hot Cocoa from It’s Shanaka
Chilled Halloween Treats:
- Pennywise Ice Cream Float from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Wicked Witch Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
No Bake Desserts:
- Muddy Buddy Halloween Snack Mix from Tastes of Homemade
- Candy Corn Rice Crispy Treats from The Spiffy Cookie
- Kid-Friendly Halloween Snack Board from Love and Confections
- Rice Krispie Treat Haunted Houses from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Ghostly Snack Mix from Fake Ginger
- Spooky Pretzel Rods from Take Two Tapas
- Halloween Candy Bark from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Batty For Chocolate Dessert Cheese Ball from 4 Sons R Us
- Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Dip from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #8 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #9 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #10 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #13 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #14 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!