Core an apple and slice it. Cover it in flavored cream cheese “frosting,” and decorate with sprinkles, candy corn and candy eyes to make fun Halloween Apple “Donut” Monsters. Fun to make and fun to eat!
I recently saw a video on facebook where somebody, Delish maybe? Shared what looked to be donuts, but they were actually apples! Super Cute! I thought, I am going to take that one step further and turn those into monsters! Then the idea for these Apple “Donut” Monsters was born!
Wouldn’t these be too much fun to make with your kids (of any age!) or your grand kids? It’s as simple as mixing up any flavor of cream cheese “frosting” as you desire. I went with one vanilla, one chocolate and of course, peanut butter! Because apple + peanut butter? = a match made in flavor heaven. Am I right?
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #AppleWeek . I received complimentary product from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
SOME OF THE ITEMS BELOW CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS; I AM A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES. I AM ALSO AN AFFILIATE FOR OTHER BRANDS. HOWEVER, I ONLY PROMOTE THINGS THAT I LOVE AND THINK YOU WILL LOVE, TOO. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Of course, if you aren’t into cream cheese, you could use regular frosting, but I was trying to keep the sugar content lower, and not make them so super sweet. When you pick the right apple, they are sweet all on their own!
Zyliss sent these two tools to the #AppleWeek bloggers. The Zyliss Comfort Utility Knife and the Zyliss Easy Twist Apple Corer.
I am a bit of gadget girl, and I have an apple slicer that cores, but not just an apple corer. So it was perfect timing!! It just made me realize that my choice of “Apple Donuts” was a good one!
During Apple Week, there is a giveaway going on where you can win one of nine prizes from our generous sponsors! You can read about all of the prizes here. At the bottom of this post, you can enter to win one of the prizes!
But first, let’s get back to these Apple “Donut” Monsters!
What do I need to make these Apple “Donuts?”
- cream cheese
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- sprinkles, candy corn, candy eyes
As I mentioned before, I went with cream cheese for my “frosting.” I mixed some with melted chocolate chips, some with peanut butter and some with clear vanilla extract and a little bit of sugar.
I made two apples worth of “donuts” I had more than enough “frosting” here to “frost” my 12 donut slices.
When choosing your apples, make sure they are shaped well. It will make removing the core easier, and will make your “donut” hole more centered.
Slice the apple from top to bottom, with a thickness of about 1/4″ per slice. It does take a while to decorate them, depending on how crafty you get. If you are worried about your apples turning brown, you can spritz them with a little lemon juice.
You can get as creative as you want! I made the first four like regular donuts; vanilla and chocolate with sprinkles, vanilla with cinnamon and sugar, and a peanut butter with candy corn. That last little guy was when I was starting to have fun with the candy eyes!
If you have kids or grandkids that love to help in the kitchen, these would be so much fun to make with them! (and eat, too!)
This one in particular made me laugh. I kept feeling like they reminded me of something. Then it hit me! Remember those two muppets on Sesame Street? The martians?
“yip, yip, yip, yip!” These guys. I dunno why. Maybe I need sleep. Either way, I think he’s (she’s?) pretty cute!!
For some reason though, this one was my favorite. So much so that I didn’t have the heart to eat it.
So I sampled the plain vanilla with sprinkles instead.
Is it me, or do they all look like they are yelling “ohhhhh…. NoOoOoOo….” in the background?
I sure hope that if you make these, or any version of these, that you share them on social media and tag me in them!! I can’t wait to see what your creativity will bring!
This is my 3rd and last entry for Apple Week 2019. If you missed my other two recipes, I hope you check them out, too! On Monday, I shared Apple Pie Oatmeal Cookies and on Wednesday, I shared Apple Crisp in a Mug, perfect little dessert for when you want a little something sweet.
Let’s get to the how to/recipe shall we? Have fun!
Apple "Donut" Monsters
Core an apple and slice it. Cover it in flavored cream cheese "frosting," and decorate with sprinkles, candy corn and candy eyes to make fun Halloween Apple "Donut" Monsters. Fun to make and fun to eat!
- 2 apples
- candy eyes
- candy corn
- black gel frosting in a tube
- cream cheese
- peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- apple corer
- sharp knife
- butter knife
- Wash apples, remove the cores, and slice into pieces that are about 1/4" thick.
- Spritz apples with lemon juice if you are concerned about them browning.
- To make the chocolate "frosting" mix 2 Tablespoons of softened cream cheese with 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate chips. To make peanut butter "frosting", mix 2 Tablespoons of softened cream cheese with 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter. To make Vanilla "frosting" mix 3 Tablespoons of softened cream cheese with 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Spread "frosting" over one side of apple slice, clean up the edges. Decorate with sprinkles, sugars, candies as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
See ALL of Today’s Amazing Apple Recipes!
- Air Fried Apple Fries with Caramel Cheesecake Dip by Our Good Life
- Air Fryer Chocolate Glazed Apple Hand Pies by Blogghetti
- Apple Cider Cheesecake Bars by Snacks and Sips
- Apple Cider Tea Chicken with Apples & Sweet Potato by Books n’ Cooks
- Apple “Donut” Monsters by An Affair from the Heart
- Apple Pie Pizza by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Pie Truffles by Caroline’s Cooking
- Apples and Honeycomb Chocolate Bars by The Monday Box
- Baked Apples and Cinnamon Overnight Oats by Simple and Savory
- Caramel Apple Cider Banana Bread by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Cider Slushies by Savory Moments
- Frosty Apple Cocktail by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Green Appletini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Oatmeal Caramel Apple Thumbprints by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Peanut Butter Apple Blondies by Cookaholic Wife
- Rag Top Apple Cobbler by Palatable Pastime
- Soda-Glazed Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Rustic Buttermilk Apple Cake by Cooking With Carlee
Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Envy Apples, Bob’s Red Mill, Republic of Tea, Flahavan’s Irish Oats, Nairn’s, Taylor & Colledge, Zyliss, Chocoley, and Torani for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The AppleWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Nine (9) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.
Leave a Reply