Like many people, my New Year’s resolution was to get healthier. I have been walking every day, trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet, and not skipping breakfast. Eating more fiber and drinking at least 8 – 8 ounce glasses of water helps keep me full. There’s one thing though, I get BORED. Bored with the same ‘ol breakfasts day in and day out, I get bored eating the same things for lunch every day. I have been getting creative in my kitchen, and sharing recipes with you for new twists on breakfast foods and smoothies that will brighten your mornings and fill your tummies!
I was so excited when Sunsweet® asked me to develop a recipe, and sent me a box with these great products! I have always used their products, so this was an extra special treat to have them come right to my door!
- PlumSmart® Light: This juice is made from a special variety of fresh, juicy plums and has only 60 calories and 15g of carbs, and helps you stay fit on the inside by providing a good source of fiber.
- Amaz!n™ Prunes: These little gems are a good source of fiber for only 100 calories per serving. Amaz!n Prunes are nature’s perfect way to feel good with nutrition and delicious taste. Prunes also have a low glycemic index, which means they keep you feeling fuller longer. They add a powerful boost of nutrition and fiber to snack time or your favorite recipe.
- Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes: Grab a handful of these delicious diced prunes for nutritious snacking. Toss them in cereal, oatmeal, salad or your favorite recipes for added flavor and fiber. One serving of Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes is a good source of fiber for only 100 calories.
I have always enjoyed dried fruit. Whether I am just eating it alone, in cookies or in trail mixes, but I wanted to think outside the box, and come up with a couple of new ways to use these little dried bits of goodness!
I love steel cut oats. There is something about them that I enjoy so much more than the regular rolled oats. I decided to make up a warm oatmeal using the Sunsweet® Plum Amazins! I also incorporated some fresh pears and almonds to add even more of a fiber punch!
Studies done by Sunsweet® suggest the following positive effects from certain nutrients in prunes:
- Bone Health: Prunes may promote healthy bones. Dr. Bahram H. Arjmandi of Florida State University says, “Dried plums (prunes) are the most bone-friendly fruit that I have seen in decades. They are nature’s solution to maintaining good bone health.” Dr. Arjmandi hypothesizes that the many compounds and nutrients contained in prunes, such as vitamin K, potassium, copper and boron, likely work synergistically to have this positive effect. Additional research is currently being conducted to learn more about prunes and bone health.
- Potassium: Potassium may help prevent hypertension and stroke and play a role in helping support cell energy by regulating fluid balance, nerve impulses and muscle contraction to increase energy.
- Fiber: A diet containing foods with fiber can replace fats and sweets, and contributes to heart health.
- Regularity: A fiber rich diet may contribute to maintaining a consistent digestive tract which helps lead to improved digestive health.
All of the tastiness and so many benefits, too!
I made this up on a Saturday morning when the hubby was home to enjoy it with me. He adores hot cereals, so he was especially excited to be my taste tester!
He gave it two thumbs up! There were leftovers, and he warmed them with a little milk in the evening as a snack before bed.
So, make yourself up a batch of this delicious steel cut oatmeal, made with the #FeelGoodFruit, by Sunsweet®. Have it on hand for breakfast, or for anytime your tummy needs to be satisfied with a healthy snack!
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Sunsweet® Plum Amazins Dried Plums
- 1 Medium sized pear, cored and skin removed, diced
- 4 Tablespoons almonds, roughly chopped
In a medium pot on the stove top, melt coconut oil. Add oats and stir to coat and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add milk, water, honey and salt. and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pears and Sunsweet Amazin Plums, cover ans continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
Turn off heat, Stir in Almond extract. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
To serve top with a sprinkling of almonds and Sunsweet Amazin Plums.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 338 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 110mg Carbohydrates: 54g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 22g Protein: 10g
I loved playing with these great products that Sunsweet® sent me so much that I couldn’t stop at oatmeal! I also had to try a smoothie. I had never tried using dried fruit in a smoothie recipe, it worked so well!!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.