This Hash Brown Potato Casserole is cheesy and creamy inside, with a crunchy topping that will have your guests coming back for seconds!
Most everyone has a hash brown casserole that is their go-to for holidays and pot lucks. This one is my Mom’s. It’s my husband’s FAVORITE part about her Christmas meal, and he gets super excited anytime it’s on the menu.
He will eat the left overs for lunch until they are gone. (which typically doesn’t take long!!)
I am not sure where this recipe came from. My mom said over the years she just kept adding and subtracting parts from different recipes she had. This one is our favorite.
So, if you don’t already have a go-to Hash Brown Potato Casserole, maybe it can be yours, too?
- 2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted / divided
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 2 cups corn flake crumbs (or can substitute Ritz crackers)
Can be made ahead. Add the corn flake topping on before baking.