Mom’s Broccoli, Rice, and Cheese Casserole
Why should I make this recipe?
- My broccoli casserole is great for holiday meals such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. It’s the perfect crowd pleaser!
- It’s effortless and so easy to make. Seriously, all you do is just dump all of the ingredients into one dish.
- Perfect for leftovers and meal prep. Make a batch of it on your meal prepping day, then you’ve got lunch or dinner prepared for a few days.
Ingredients for Mom’s Broccoli Rice and Cheese
Broccoli- For this recipe, I used frozen broccoli cuts. Fresh broccoli would work well in this recipe, too.
Onion- A yellow or white onion adds additional flavor to this recipe. You can never go wrong with onions!
Cheese Whiz- A cheesy delicacy that is a staple in this casserole. You’ll definitely want a jar of it.
Cream of Mushroom Soup- Either you can use canned cream of mushroom soup or make your own.
Cream of Chicken Soup- Cream of chicken soup adds additional flavor and texture to this casserole. Definitely a key ingredient to this recipe!
Milk- Any kind of milk will work for this recipe, but I used dairy.
Rice- Uncooked minute rice was used in this recipe. If you don’t have minute rice, then simply substitute with cooked regular rice.
How to Make Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or simply grease with oil of choice.
Next, steam the frozen broccoli until it is no longer frozen. After that, roughly chop the broccoli florets so the pieces are more bite-sized.
Next, place all of the ingredients in a large pot on the stove and heat through.
Finally, pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 1 1/2 hours
Serve right from the warm casserole dish at the table or buffet style.
Can you put uncooked rice in a casserole?
Typically, it is not recommended to put uncooked rice in a casserole unless you have enough liquid covering the rice. Keep in mind that the casserole will require a lot more cooking time with uncooked rice, too! But I use Minute rice when I make it, and that is never a problem.
How Long to Keep this Recipe in the Fridge
Cooked broccoli rice casserole will stay good in the refrigerator for three to four days. It’s the perfect solution to meal prep, and the leftovers are so delicious!
Can you freeze this casserole?
Of course! If you don’t think you’ll make it through all your leftovers in the refrigerator, then transfer them to a freezer-safe storage container or bag. Store in the freezer for up to six months. Be sure to label the broccoli casserole in your freezer, too.
How to Reheat Broccoli Rice Casserole
When ready to enjoy the broccoli casserole again, you can reheat a few different ways! You can reheat the casserole in the microwave for 1:30-2:00 minutes, place in a preheated 350°F oven for 12-15 minutes, or cook in a skillet on the stovetop.
If frozen, then allow the casserole to thaw before reheating in the microwave. You will need a longer cook time if cooking the broccoli casserole straight from the freezer.
- I added fresh broccoli on top of this recipe just to make it look a little more delicious, but it isn’t necessary for the recipe!
- Make sure to use cooked rice or uncooked minute rice for optimal flavors, but most importantly, tender flavors.
- If you want to make this casserole a little more hearty, then serve it with some ham or cooked chicken mixed in it.
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your Pinterest board, to make it easy to find later!
Some More of my Favorite Recipes
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Broccoli Stuffed Mushrooms
- Reuben Casserole
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- 2 (10.8 ounce) packages frozen broccoli cuts, steamed and then roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) jar of cheese whiz
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 soup can of milk
- 1 cup uncooked minute rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Steam frozen broccoli until no longer frozen. Give it a rough chop so these pieces are more bite-sized.
- Place all of the ingredients in a pot on the stove and heat through. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.