This keto Instant Pot crack chicken recipe is out-of-this-world delicious and made with tender chicken that is cooked in savory and juicy bacon, flavorful ranch dressing mix, creamy cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. An easy weeknight dinner with an option for the slow cooker!
When I discovered how to make this crack chicken recipe, I became enamored by it. Inspired by the classic dip, this recipe is one of those easy recipes that makes an everlasting impression: you’re going to be hooked.
Pair it by itself, with lettuce wraps, on buns, or eat it by the spoonful; however you eat it, just make sure you enjoy it. If this sandwich recipe leaves you begging for more, then be sure to check out my slow cooker buffalo pulled pork, Instant Pot meatball sub, or my buffalo chicken lettuce wraps.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- It’s super easy to make and ready in less than 40 minutes.
- There’s an option for the Crockpot which means an easy clean-up! Easy clean-up for the Instant Pot method, too.
- The leftovers are incredible. The longer this recipe settles, the more the flavors mend.
Why do they call it crack chicken?
It’s called crack chicken because the seasoning and flavors are incredibly “addictive”, and after you eat it, you instantly crave more. The ranch mixed with cream cheese and the cheddar creates the ultimate combination that is irresistible and a true staple.
Crack Chicken Ingredients
Bacon – Crispy bacon is sautéed in the Instant Pot before the chicken is added for the best savory flavors.
Chicken – I used chicken breasts in this recipe, but chicken thighs or cutlets would work, too.
Ranch dressing mix – The main ingredient that’s responsible for the addictive flavor. You can find ranch dressing mix in a packet in the seasoning aisles at almost all grocery stores.
Cheddar cheese – Shredded cheese is used for cheesy goodness. You can easily grate your cheddar cheese, too, just make sure you have two cups.
Green onions – Sliced green onions are used to create an even bolder flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Crack Chicken
Step 1 – COOK THE BACON
Set Instant Pot to sauté setting and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from pot.
STEP 2 – ADD CHICKEN
Drain the grease, then place the chicken in the pot.
Step 3 – MANUAL PRESSURE
Cover the chicken with the ranch dressing mix and coat with chicken broth and cream cheese. Place lid on and cook on manual for 15 minutes.
Step 4 – SHRED THE CHICKEN
Remove the chicken and shred. Place back in the pot.
Step 5 – MIX INGREDIENTS
Add cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, and green onions to the chicken. Sauté once more and cook until cheese is melted.
Serve crack chicken in an Instant Pot on buns or lettuce wraps for crack chicken sandwiches.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. You want the chicken to be 165° Fahrenheit when you remove it from the Instant Pot.
- If you don’t have a packet of ranch dressing mix, then you can simply make your own.
- For tips on how to cook this crack chicken in the slow cooker, scroll down to the bottom of the recipe card in the “Notes” section.
- Leftovers: Once cooled, store in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to three to four days.
- Spice it up! If you like a little extra heat in your food, fresh jalapeño slices are perfect on this recipe!
Can you freeze this recipe?
This recipe would freeze just fine! Make sure you freeze it in an airtight container and label it with a date. When ready to reheat, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or warm in a preheated oven at 350° for at least 30 minutes.
More Recipes That Use Shredded Chicken
- White Chicken Chili
- Chicken and Doritos Casserole
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow-Cooker Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your Pinterest board, to make it easy to find later!
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Set instant pot to sauté setting and cook bacon until crispy. Remove from the pot
to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain the grease, and place chicken in the
- Cover it with ranch dressing packet, add in chicken stock and cream cheese. Place lid
on and cook on manual for 15 minutes, natural release for 5 minutes then quick
release the remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred. Place back in the pot.
- Add cheddar cheese, bacon and green onion to the chicken, set instant pot to sauté
once more and cook, stirring until the cheese is melty.
- Serve on buns or in lettuce wraps.
** I recommend buttering and toasting the buns before filling them with the chicken mixture.
To make in the slow cooker: place chicken breasts and chicken stock in the slow cooker, sprinkle with ranch dressing seasoning, and top with cream cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from pot, shred and place back in the crock pot. Stir in cooked bacon, cheese and onion, cook for 15 minutes serve on buns or in lettuce wraps.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 852mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.