This easy Instant Pot recipe for Meatball Subs requires only a few simple ingredients, then it’s topped with sauerkraut for an amazing twist! Perfect for the Big Game. Meatball subs in under 30 minutes!
The Big Game is coming up next weekend. Sure – there are those of us that get excited about the teams, and then there are those of us that get excited about one thing — THE FOOD! What are you making this year?? Undecided? I have just the thing for you!
Thank you to Frank’s Kraut for sponsoring this post. Know that the opinions in this post and the love for their sauerkraut is all my own. Please support the brands that make An Affair from the Heart possible.
The Super Bowl is one of those things that a whole lot of people get excited about. Sure, I watch it, but I am more in it for the commercials and the food. My brother and sister-in-law typically host a Super Bowl party at their house, but this year, they headed for warmer weather. Good for THEM! So I was kicking around some ideas for food, since I will be hosting the kids here. My boys LOVE meatball subs, and I was looking for a way to make them quicker and a way to make them more fabulous.
Enter Instant Pot and Frank’s Kraut! I tossed frozen meatballs, a jar of spaghetti sauce and some diced onion in my instant pot for 11 minutes. The results? Perfection. While that was happening, I sliced open some hoagie buns, gave them a little smear of butter and a couple slices of Provolone cheese, popped them under the broiler and gave them a good toasting. The toasting only makes the bread better — and it helps the bread from getting soggy while you’re eating that saucy sub.
Then … you know what I did? I took that delicious sub and I topped with with a big ‘ol helping of Frank’s Kraut!
Sauerkraut has been around for ages. The benefits of it’s nutrition are astounding! Many actors, supermodels, athletes and celebrity chefs have incorporated sauerkraut into their daily diets. Sauerkraut is a known immune booster, cancer fighter and aids in digestion. There are literally thousands of ways to use it. I, myself have used it in soups, salads. appetizers and even chocolate cake! Take a peek at ALL of the Frank’s Sauerkraut recipes right here on my blog, and all of the other’s over on Frank’s website.
What’s Your favorite way to eat Sauerkraut?
Pour about 1/3 of the jar of sauce into your instant pot. Add in meatballs, top with onions, and remaining sauce. Cook for 11 minutes.
Perfectly done meatballs. Now all they need is a toasted cheesy bun and some Frank’s Kraut!
Oh, and a couple of big napkins. You’ll need those, too.
Ready to get to it?? Me, too!! Let’s make some Instant Pot Twisted Meatball Subs!
- 1 (1.5 pound) bag frozen pork meatballs (you can also substitute beef or Italian style)
- 1 (32 ounce) jar of marinara sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can Frank's Kraut, drained and rinsed
- 6-8 Hoagie Rolls
- Sliced Provolone cheese
- caraway seeds, optional
- Place ⅓ of the jar of the sauce into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add in meatballs.
- Top with onion and remaining sauce.
- Lock the lid and cook on the Meat/Stew setting for 11 minutes with a natural 10 minute release. Quick release to let out any remaining pressure.
- While waiting for the natural release, slice hoagie buns open, butter them lightly, and place two slices of Provolone cheese on one side. Place under the broiler and watch carefully while they toast and cheese melts.
- Place 4-6 meatballs per sandwich (depending on bun size) on the roll. Add some additional sauce and top with Frank's Kraut. give a sprinkle of caraway seeds if you want.
- Serve hot.