Quite possibly the best breakfast casserole I have ever made or eaten, and SO EASY!! Crescent roll dough, breakfast sausage, peppers, mushrooms and onions. Baked up with melty cheese. Perfection!
I have finally found the best breakfast casserole! Do you know how many I have tried over the years that have just been “okay?” Lots. Like a whole bunch. Typically when I make a little something special, I always make one of my quiche. They always make an appearance at the holidays. This year, I wanted to do something other than quiche. I reached out to some of my blogger friends and got a whole bunch of ideas. But this recipe came from my friend, Brandi, at Aunt Bee’s Recipes.
I sent a recipe S.O.S. the week before Easter and asked if she (and a few others) had a favorite tried and true breakfast casserole. She came back with this Sausage and Crescent Breakfast Bake – and told me it’s awesome, and that her family LOVES it. Sold.
Trust Me … Quiche is Good — Here are my Favorite Recipes:
This breakfast casserole isn’t one of those you prepare the night before. I was a little leery about that part. Especially on a holiday weekend, when we leave an hour before church starts to get there to have a seat. I was able to prep quite a bit of it though, and it came together easily when we got home. It was ready for the oven by the time it had preheated.
Did you know that Pillsbury makes crescent rolls in a sheet? Not that pressing the seams together is labor intensive or anything .. but it’s one step easier! I browned the sausage and the veggies the day before, all I had to do was roll out the crescent rolls, top with the sausage and veggies, top it with cheese and bake it for 30 minutes!!
Top it with some scallions – and Ta-Da!! The whole 9×13 dish was gone before the dish had even cooled! SO GOOD!
I would be remiss if I didn’t share the other breakfast casserole options I got from my other blogging pals!! Give these a look and know that I will be trying them next!
Let’s make a breakfast casserole!
- 1 package Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 cups of your favorite veggies, I used onions, mushrooms and red and green bell pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheese, I used Three Cheese Cheddar
- Scallions for garnish, if desired
- Brown sausage with the onions. When it's about half done add in the mushrooms and peppers, cook until done.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Roll out crescent rolls in the bottom of the pan and seal the edges to make 1 large sheet. Top with cooked sausage mixture.
- Beat eggs with salt and pepper and pour eggs over the top of the meat & veggies.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese all over and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Top with scallions if desired.