Canadian comfort food at its finest! This simple and traditional Canadian Poutine recipe comes together quickly, with french fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds.
I was recently talking to my friend Haley that lives in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada about Poutine. I asked her if she had an authentic poutine recipe because we really wanted to try it, and she shared this simple recipe for Canadian Poutine with me.
With only three ingredients, this easy comfort dish will have you coming back for more. However, if you do prefer to make this savory dish from scratch, my Homemade Double Fried French Fries are an excellent alternative to frozen fries and this Homemade Brown Gravy Recipe is one of my favorites!
WHAT IS POUTINE?
INGREDIENTS FOR POUTINE FRIES
Three ingredients are all you need!
- Frozen French Fries: Using frozen ensures that the fries cook evenly, and they are quick, too! Or make your own double-fried french fries for an epic addition!
- Cheese Curds: For the most authentic poutine, use white cheese curds rather than yellow.
- Brown Gravy Mix: Using a pre-made mix is great for convenience! Check the ingredients first if looking to make this dish vegetarian.
HOW TO MAKE Canadian Poutine a.k.a. Homemade CANADIAN POUTINERIE
It’s so simple to make, you will wonder why you hadn’t before, and you’ll make it again and again after!
Make gravy according to the directions.
Keep it warm on the stove.
Deep-fry french fries in 350F oil until golden brown. Drain french fries on a paper towel-lined tray.
Plate the french fries and top with a handful of cheese curds.
Add a few ladles of hot gravy. Enjoy!
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this yummy Canadian-inspired poutine recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL ENJOY
Here are some of my favorites:
- Beef Tips & Gravy
- Mashed Potato Bake
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Baked Pork Chops with Stuffing
- New Potatoes & Peas
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Beef & Noodles
- Reuben Pot Pies
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
Now that you know how to make Canadian Poutine, let’s make some! Here is the simple recipe –
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 package (650 grams/23 ounces) frozen french fries
- 1 cup cheese curds
- Make gravy according to the directions on the package and keep it warm on the stove.
- Deep-fry french fries in 350F oil until golden brown. Drain french fries on a paper towel-lined tray.
- Plate the french fries and top with a handful of cheese curds and a few ladles of hot gravy.
Frozen French Fries work great, but if you really want to make this recipe EPIC, use my Homemade Double Fried French Fry Recipe!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 560mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 9g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.