Imagine crispy, seasoned parmesan zucchini fries cooked up without oil. Yes, these Air Fryer Zucchini Fries turn out crunchy and super tasty without the grease from deep frying. Pull out your air fryer and get ready for a treat.
Today is “National Leave a Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day!” Typically this time of the year means gardens and farmer’s markets are bursting with lots of zucchini, and that means everyone wants to share!
This silly holiday gets celebrated each year on my blog with a new zucchini recipe.
So, if your garden is sprouting lots of zucchini this time of year, (or a neighbor keeps leaving zucchini on your porch) make up a batch of these crispy zucchini fries or try these Zucchini Chips. They are the perfect way to put that zucchini to good use.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
These guilt-free zucchini fries are a must; perfectly spiced with Italian seasoning, garlic, crispy panko breadcrumbs, and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Using hot air, the air fryer cooks the zucchini so it is nice and crispy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. Plus, it’s easy to just throw the fries in the air fryer and let them cook. No need to stand over hot oil and end up with fries that need to be blotted on a paper towel.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Take advantage of zucchini season and make up a batch of these fries. Even if you’ve eaten enough zucchini for a few days, you can prepare these fries in advance and store them in the fridge in an airtight container for 4 days. You can also stash them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Air Fryer Zucchini
In case your air fryer is on the fritz or if you haven’t gotten around to picking up this fantastic kitchen appliance you can prepare these zucchini fries in the oven. Follow the dipping and coating instructions below but place the zucchini on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spray them with an olive oil spray, and bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping and spraying them again and cooking for a few more minutes until they turn golden brown.
Any way you make this air fryer zucchini fries recipe I guarantee you’ll love them. They are perfect as an appetizer, side dish, or even a game-day snack.
Ingredients for Zucchini Fries
For complete ingredients and instructions scroll to the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe card.
- Zucchini – Choose medium-sized zucchini, no need to peel.
- All-purpose flour – I used all-purpose flour for these fries.
- Eggs – Any kind of eggs will work.
- Panko breadcrumbs – Panko bread crumbs help make these fries nice and crispy.
- Parmesan cheese – Use freshly grated for the best flavor.
- Seasoning – I used Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
How to make air fryer zucchini fries.
Just a few steps to making these zucchini fries.
First: Cut the ends off the zucchini. Then cut each zucchini lengthwise into fries.
Second: Place the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl and combine.
Third: In a separate shallow bowl add the flour.
In a third shallow bowl whisk the eggs together.
Fourth: Dip each zucchini fry into the flour.
Then into the egg mixture.
Lastly into the breadcrumb mixture.
Fifth: Repeat with each fry.
Sixth: Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and layer the zucchini slices in the basket. Making sure there is enough space. Do not overcrowd the basket.
Seventh: Air fry for 10 -12 minutes at 400 degrees F. or until golden brown and crispy.
Eighth: Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Leftovers will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Freeze zucchini fries for up to 3 months. Reheat the fries in the oven or place them back in the air fryer.
Love it? Pin it!
If you love this air fryer zucchini recipe make sure you don’t lose it! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
Dipping Sauce Ideas
Perfect for dipping in your favorite dipping sauce, ranch dressing, cheddar cheese sauce, garlic aioli, or homemade marinara sauce. Or try one of these: Blue Cheese Sauce, Tamarind Cashew Dipping Sauce, Yum Yum Sauce, Bacon Aioli, and Dill Pickle Ranch Dip.
FAQs about air fryer zucchini fries
- Why are my zucchini fries soggy? If you are cooking your zucchini fries in oil over the stove they may be soggy because they absorbed too much oil or the oil was not hot enough. Cooking the zucchini in the air fryer reduces the risk of soggy fries.
- How to air fry Bird’s Eye crinkle-cut zucchini fries? If you are using an air fryer to cook Bird Eye Crinkle Cut Zucchini fries you can place them in an air fryer that has been preheated to 375 and cook for 14-18 minutes. Turn or shake the fries halfway through the cooking process and cook until they turn golden brown.
- What goes with zucchini fries? Dipping sauces are great with zucchini. Check out the links above for a few ideas.
- How long to cook Bird’s Eye zucchini fries in an air fryer? Bird’s Eye Zucchini fries take about 14-18 minutes in the air fryer.
Remember that when it comes to making substitutions in recipes, you don’t need to be afraid to get creative and use ingredients that suit your personal taste and dietary preferences. Make it your own!
For keto zucchini fries use almond flour instead of all-purpose flour and omit the breadcrumbs. This would make the fries low carb as well.
For egg-free zucchini fries, omit the egg wash and use a batter of flour and milk.
For cheese-free zucchini fries substitute a vegan parmesan or use nutritional yeast instead.
For these variations, the best way to get the fries to crisp up in the air fryer would be to spray the fries slightly with an olive oil spray before cooking them.
Tips & Tricks
Place the fries in a single layer in the air fryer so they cook evenly.
Cut the zucchini fries to the same thickness so they cook up at the same pace.
Try a mandolin or use a food slicer to get even, consistent-sized fries.
Add more flavor to the breading by stirring in Cajun seasoning or onion powder.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Love
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts (pictured above)
- See ALL of my AIR FRYER RECIPES
Let the magic of the air fryer transform your zucchini into crave-able parmesan zucchini fries. The perfect healthy way to get your ‘fry fix!’
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the ends off the zucchini. Then cut each zucchini lengthwise into fries.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl and combine.
- In a separate shallow bowl add the flour. In a third shallow bowl whisk the eggs together.
- Dip each zucchini fry into the flour, then into the egg, and lastly into the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with each fry.
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and layer the fries into the basket. Making sure there is enough space. Do not overcrowd the basket.
- Air fry for 10 -12 minutes at 400 degrees F. or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hamilton Beach Air Fryer Oven Digital and Programmable, Nonstick (35050), 2.5 Liters, Black
COSORI Pro II Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT
Professional Cheese Grater - Stainless Steel
Premium Quality V-Pro Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline Cheese/Vegetable Slicer, Cutter, Shredder
12-Piece Black Sharp Knife Set with Covers, Cutting Board and Sharpener
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.