These easy air fryer wonton chips are perfect for salads, soups, or just a snack. Forget that store-bought bag, with 3 simple ingredients, you can whip these up in so little time!
I have been having so much fun with my air fryer lately! (Trust me, it’s not just for pizza rolls these days.) I have been busy building up my collection of air fryer recipes for you, and today we are adding this super easy air fryer wonton chip recipe to the mix.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE AIR-FRIED WONTON CHIPS
Wonton chips are a great vehicle for so many things! They make wonderful dippers for dishes such as crab dip or poke. Use them instead of tortilla chips or potato chips for your favorite dips. You can cut them any which way you please – any shape or size. Wonton strips add a delicious crunch to soups and salads. They make a wonderfully simple snack when dipped in sweet & sour sauce, duck sauce, soy sauce, or sweet chili sauce.
Wonton chips can be sweet or savory depending on how you season them. How do cinnamon sugar wonton chips sound?
This is such an easy recipe with just a few simple ingredients. You will have homemade wonton chips in minutes! Make larger chips and use them to scoop up this delicious Everything Bagel Dip. Or use crispy wonton strips to garnish this Chinese Chicken Salad or Thai Chicken Noodle Soup!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR WONTON CRISPS
Find the complete measurements and instructions at the bottom of this post in the printable recipe card.
- Wonton wrappers – You can usually find these in the refrigerated produce section of your local grocery store. If you can’t locate them at your supermarket, you can find them at any Asian market.
- Olive oil + sesame oil – You will spray or brush your wrappers with this combination of oils. Non-stick olive oil or avocado oil spray works, too.
- Salt – sprinkle your chips with salt if desired. Sea salt flakes would be tasty.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER WONTON CHIPS
FIRST: Cut the wrappers into quarters. Place the chips in a single layer in your air fryer basket and spray with oil or apply oil with a pastry brush.
SECOND: Air fry for 4 to 5 minutes at 350 degrees, until the wontons are golden brown. Shake the basket halfway through. Repeat with remaining chips until all are fried. Salt if desired.
Love it? Pin it!
If you love this Air Fryer Wonton Chip recipe make sure that you don’t lose it! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
Can I substitute egg roll wrappers for wonton wrappers? Yes, you can usually use these interchangeably. Egg roll wrappers and wonton wrappers are essentially made with the same ingredients: flour and water. Egg is added to wonton wrappers which makes them more pliable. Egg roll wrappers are usually larger and thicker than wonton wrappers, so they may take longer to cook.
How do you keep wonton chips crispy? There are a few tips for keeping your chips crispy. First, do not overcrowd them in the air fryer or frying pan. Secondly, make sure the wonton skins are free from moisture and completely dry before frying. Lastly, allow them to cool completely and then store in an airtight sealed container to maintain their crunch.
What can I use wonton skins for? Wonton skins are usually used to make wontons (surprise, surprise!) full of ingredients inside that range from cheese to vegetables to shrimp filling. Wonton wrappers can be used to make crab rangoon which is similar to a wonton with a filling of cream cheese, crab, and green onions. They are also used to make chips and strips for snacking or garnishes as shown in this recipe.
Wonton wrappers – You can use egg roll wrappers instead. See notes above in FAQS for more information.
Olive Oil – You can really use any kind of oil for this recipe. If you are pan frying or deep frying, some good oil choices with a high smoke point include vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR CRISPY WONTON CHIPS
- Depending on how you will use these chips you can cut them in different shapes and sizes. Long strips will work well for salad or soups. Larger chips will be better for dipping or snacking.
- Pan Fried Version: You can also use a deep fryer or fry these on the stove: Heat about 2” in oil in a heavy pan. Add wonton chips and fry for 1-2 minutes or until the desired color is achieved. Cook in batches. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- You can experiment with your favorite seasonings such as pepper, garlic powder, or everything but the bagel seasoning. Cinnamon sugar would make some sweet dessert chips.
- Store in a zip lock bag or airtight container when cool. They will last for up to a week at room temperature.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
- Air Fryer Edamame Beans
- BBQ Chicken Tenders in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Taco Salad Bowls
- Copy Cat Hooters Hot Wings
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- See ALL of My Air Fryer Recipes
Make a big batch of these air fryer wonton chips and have them on hand to garnish your favorite recipes or just a savory snack.
- 1 (14 ounce) package Wonton Wrappers (or egg roll wrappers)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil + 2 drops sesame oil (or non-stick olive oil cooking spray works, too)
- Salt, if desired
- Cut the wrappers into quarters.
- Spray the air fryer basket with the oil.
- Place the chips in a single layer in your air fryer basket and spray with oil.
- Air fry for 4 to 5 minutes at 350 degrees, until the wontons are golden and bubbly. Shake the basket halfway through.
- Repeat with remaining strips until all are fried.
- Salt if desired.
- Store in a zip lock bag when cool.
To fry on the stove: Heat about 2” in oil in a heavy pan. Add wonton chips and fry for 1-2 minutes or until the desired color is achieved. Cook in batches. Transfer to a paper towel to drain excess oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 38Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.