Now that the kids are back at school those weeknight dinners can sometimes be a challenge. If you don’t want to look high and low for something that will easily please the kids and adults alike then this Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Tenders recipe needs to be in your ‘mom’ arsenal. Open a jar of Paisley Farm Five Bean Salad for a side and your dinner is done. All in under 20 minutes with only 4 ingredients!
This recipe will come together quickly and easily and is simply modified for picky eaters. Make a double batch and keep some in the freezer so you have a ready-to-go lunch option as well. Kids will love eating these chicken tenders at school as they are or on a bun as a sandwich.
You can easily prep this meal ahead of time so dinner can be on the table just minutes after you get home at the end of the day. Store the breaded chicken in the fridge and pop it in the air fryer just before serving.
This post is sponsored by Paisley Farm Foods, but my love of their products and my opinions are all my own!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
These air fryer barbecue chicken tenders are quick and easy to make with just 4 ingredients. It has become one of my go-to recipes, a real family favorite. I sometimes like to make a double batch and freeze the leftovers so I can send them for lunch. That lunchbox dilemma is real and if I can have an option ready to go in the freezer it just makes life that much easier.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a small kitchen appliance that mimics deep frying without using too much oil. It is super handy for making these bbq chicken tenders crispy on the outside yet tender on the inside. The air fryer is perfect for those busy weeknights when you need to get a meal on the table quickly.
Time and Temperature To Cook Chicken Tenders In the Air Fryer
When you are cooking chicken, like this bbq chicken tender recipe, it is important that you cook the chicken thoroughly so that no one gets sick from undercooked chicken.
The recommended amount of time to cook the chicken strips is 15 minutes on one side and then 5 minutes on the other at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. However, depending on how thick your strips are this may not be enough time to thoroughly cook the chicken. Using a meat thermometer is a foolproof way to ensure your chicken is properly cooked.
PAISLEY FARM FIVE BEAN SALAD
My friends at Paisley Farm Foods and I are on the same page when it comes to bringing you fantastic tasting homecooked meals, without the fuss. Foods that you can feel good about feeding your family.
This Air Fryer BBQ Chicken recipe comes together quickly, and so does a delicious and nutritious side of Paisley Farm Five Bean Salad! Simply open a jar, pour it into a bowl and serve. It will be a lifesaver on those hectic weeknights when you are trying your best to feed your family at home in a short amount of time.
Ingredients Needed To Make BBQ Chicken Strips
- Chicken breasts – I usually use 3 pounds of chicken breasts for this recipe. You can buy whole chicken breasts or precut chicken strips.
- Egg – Any kind of egg can be used. Make sure to beat the egg. If you think there won’t be enough egg to dip all of the chicken you can add a little water.
- Seasoned bread crumbs – You can buy preseasoned breadcrumbs or make your own. If you want to make your own you can even use stale bread and process it with dried herbs like basil and oregano. Or you can use plain bread crumbs and add dried herbs and/or spices. Whichever is the easiest but it doesn’t hurt to have a box of seasoned bread crumbs on standby in the pantry.
- BBQ Sauce – To make this recipe come together quickly on a school night I suggest you use bottled BBQ sauce. But if you prefer homemade, try my Homemade Barbecue Sauce recipe – it’s fantastic!
How to make Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breasts
Grab the ingredient amounts in the printable recipe card below.
Cut chicken breasts into strips. If you bought precut strips you get to skip this step!
Dip the chicken strips into the beaten egg and then press them into the seasoned bread crumbs. Taking care to coat them really well.
Spray the basket of your air fryer with non-stick cooking spray.
Place the breaded chicken tenders in the basket and spray the tops of them lightly with non-stick spray.
Set the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the chicken tenders for approximately 11 minutes (Air fryers cooking times can differ).
Make sure the breading is golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees Fahrenheit when checked with a meat thermometer.
Brush the tops of the chicken tenders with BBQ sauce. Air fry for another 2 minutes. Flip them and brush with BBQ sauce on the other side and air fry them another 2-3 minutes until the BBQ sauce is caramelized on the outside of the chicken.
Serve with remaining BBQ sauce for dipping.
How to Make These BBQ Chicken Tenders in the Oven
Place breaded chicken strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Brush with BBQ sauce on both sides and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve with leftover BBQ sauce.
Love it? Pin it!
If you love this recipe for bbq chicken fingers make sure that you don’t lose it! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
How do I make BBQ sauce for chicken tenders?
This recipe uses bottled bbq sauce but if you would like to make your own you can follow this barbecue sauce recipe.
More FAQ About Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
How do you make BBQ Chicken in the Air Fryer?
Air fryer recipes for BBQ chicken are quite easy to follow. You’ll need to dip chicken strips into a beaten egg and then coat them with breadcrumbs. Place the coated chicken strips in the air fryer and brush with bbq sauce.
Do you put BBQ sauce on chicken before or after you cook it?
In this recipe, the chicken is cooked for a few minutes without the BBQ sauce and then you apply the BBQ sauce and cook it some more. I also suggest you serve the chicken with some BBQ on the side for dipping.
Can you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, you absolutely can put raw chicken in an air fryer.
Can I use BBQ sauce in my air fryer?
Yes, you can use BBQ sauce in an air fryer. In this recipe, you brush the chicken strips with BBQ while the chicken is in the air fryer. I don’t suggest you pour the BBQ sauce onto the chicken strips but place the sauce in a bowl and use a brush to apply the sauce onto the chicken.
Can I make these chicken tenders in the oven?
Baked bbq chicken tenders are a great alternative to air-fried chicken tenders. To prepare these in the oven: place breaded chicken strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Brush with BBQ sauce on both sides and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve with leftover BBQ sauce.
Substitutions For Air Fryer Barbeque Chicken Tenders
- If your gang likes chicken thighs feel free to substitute them for the chicken breasts.
- If you can’t find seasoned bread crumbs pick up a box of plain ones and season them yourself. If you’ve got a few picky eaters at the table you could easily make up a few without the seasoning. Seasoning the bread crumbs yourself also gives you the option to crank up the heat with some hot spices if you like spicy food.
- If you have a vegetarian at your table you can also follow this recipe using tofu. Dry the tofu off with a paper towel and cut it into strips. Note the cooking time may differ.
Tips & Tricks For Making BBQ Chicken Breast In The Air Fryer
- Make sure your chicken breast strips are the same size so they cook at the same rate.
- Having a meat thermometer on hand ensures the chicken is safe to eat.
- The cooked chicken will keep in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for a few months.
REASONS TO LOVE PAISLEY FARM FIVE BEAN SALAD
Paisley Farm Five Bean Salad is low calorie, healthy, dairy-free, gluten-free, and has plant-based protein, too, containing one of the top plant-based protein sources, chickpeas (garbanzo beans.) The salad contains a blend of green, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, and wax beans accented with freshly diced onions and red peppers.
You have to try their Asian Bean Salad, too! It makes a wonderful side dish for those meals with an Asian flair!
Like these Sticky Asian Meatballs
Or this super easy Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki!
I tossed some tater tots in the air fryer, opened a jar of Paisley Farm Five Bean Salad, and served up the BBQ Chicken Tenders in record time!
You can pick up delicious Paisley Farm Five Bean Salad at Costco, Sam’s Club, Kroger Stores, Sprouts, Fresh Market, and these other fine retailers. Check out all of their other fabulous products by visiting their website. Follow Paisley Farm on their social media for great recipes all year long: FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
This recipe for Breaded Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Tenders is absolutely delicious and a real crowd pleaser. Hey, they may even ask for seconds! Enjoy it as a go-to meal on those busy weeknights.
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 3 pounds combined)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Dip the chicken strips into the beaten egg and then press them into the seasoned bread crumbs. Taking care to coat them really well.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the breaded chicken tenders in the basket and spray the tops of them lightly with non-stick spray.
- Set the air fryer to 380 degrees F. and cook the chicken tenders for approximately 11 minutes. Air fryers will differ. Make sure the breading is golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F when check with a meat thermometer.
- Brush the tops of the chicken tenders with BBQ sauce. Air fry for another 2 minutes. Flip them and brush with BBQ sauce and air fry them another 2-3 minutes until the BBQ sauce is caramelized on the outside of the chicken.
- Serve with remaining BBQ sauce for dipping.
To prepare these in the oven: place breaded chicken strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Brush with BBQ sauce on both sides of the chicken and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1188mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 25g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.