Pasta Salad with Spam
Secret Ingredient Pasta Salad
What is Spam?
SPAM is salty processed canned pork introduced in 1937 by Hormel Foods Corporation. Spam’s basic ingredients are pork shoulder and ham, chopped and pressed into a can. It gained popularity during World War II. It’s really popular in Hawaii, which makes sense to me since my mom always served Spam with pineapple.
Ingredients in Pasta Salad with Spam
You will find the exact measurements and instructions at the bottom of this post in the printable recipe card.
For the Dressing:
- mayonnaise – full fat or light both work.
- dill pickle juice – makes the dressing so good!
- milk – (optional) to thin the sauce, I have never felt it needed it.
- black pepper – you won’t need salt.
For the Salad:
- frozen peas – fresh would work if you have them.
- cucumber – I like to leave the skins on mine, but you can peel them if you like.
- red onion
- Roma tomato – diced
- Spam – diced
- American cheese – (optional) I never add it.
- elbow macaroni – cooked al dente and rinsed in cold water and drained.
How to Make Pasta Salad with Spam
Boil pasta, drain, and place in a large bowl.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayo, pickle juice, and black pepper.
Add the chopped veggies and Spam to the top of the pasta. Toss together.
Top with the dressing and stir to coat.
I like to make this salad a day ahead so the flavors can develop!
Store in the fridge. Will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Love it? Pin it!
More Recipes to Love
- 15 ounces of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- milk to thin sauce (optional, I didn’t use it)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces frozen peas (about 1 cup)
- 1 cucumber, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- red onion, chopped, to taste (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 can Spam, diced
- cubed American cheese (optional, I didn’t use it)
- 1 (1 pound) package of small elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- Whisk together mayo, pickle juice and black pepper. Set aside.
- Boil pasta until it's al dente, rinse in cold water and put it in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop all of the veggies and Spam, cheese if you desire.
- Toss pasta and chopped ingredients in a large bowl, cover with dressing and stir to coat.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours before eating.
I don't ever feel like I need the milk in the dressing and I typically don't add the cheese.
This salad tastes its best when it sits for 8 hours before eating. Subbing ham for the Spam will change the taste considerably.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.