Need to curb a sweet tooth? This Coconut Mug Cake is just the thing. With simple ingredients and two minutes you can have a moist coconut cake topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut to enjoy. Dessert for one? Yes, please.
Coconut Mug Cake. Just let that resonate for a minute.
Picture this. You’re at home, binging your favorite Netflix Show of the moment. Then it strikes! The sweet tooth. But you don’t have anything that is really tripping your trigger. Then you remember … Michaela shared that little coconut cake for one — she promised me that all of the ingredients were easy ones I would have on hand. She even said it only took a couple of minutes to make!
As you rush to find the recipe
Netflix asks “Are you still watching?” (why must they judge like that? — YES I am still watching. Yes, I haven’t moved from my chair. Zip it, Netflix! ) You realize that you indeed DO have all of the ingredients right in your pantry. You grab your favorite mug and get to making this perfectly moist coconut cake, portioned for one.
^ Love it?? Pin it! So you can find it when the mood strikes! ^
Of course — it doesn’t HAVE to be a dessert for one! It makes a great Date Night In dessert for you and your honey to enjoy together. In fact, I think it’s a fantastic Valentine dessert, don’t you? Especially in these sweet mugs I picked up at Tuesday Morning.
Ingredients in Coconut Mug Cake:
- coconut extract
- coconut flakes
- baking powder
- whipped cream and toasted coconut for topping
Making these mug cakes is a snap! I mixed everything up in a separate bowl, but honestly, if you don’t want to wash the extra dish, make them in the mug. I melted the butter in the bowl first and then used a tiny whisk to mix the rest of the ingredients in.
Pop it in then microwave for about 90 seconds and let it cool slightly before topping with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
If I want to make a mug cake, I know right where to go for the recipe! Madi, at Mildly Meandering has so many to choose from, and they are all superb!!
When I was assigned Madi’s page for this round of Freaky Friday, I knew exactly what I wanted to make!
What is Freaky Friday?
Well, it’s a group I host, full of talented food blogger friends. Five times per year we swap blogs and cook/bake from our assigned website. All of it, done in secret, and on the chosen Friday we all reveal our recipes at the same time. Everyone finds fun in seeing who had your blog, and what they chose to make. It’s also super fun to get to choose something to make of their’s, albeit difficult most of the time! That was no different this time.
Even though I knew I wanted to make a mug cake — it was which mug cake to make? (she currently had TEN of them!) Actually, I made two, her Vanilla Mug Cake and her Coconut Mug Cake. I let my youngest daughter choose which one I would make for today. I did take a whole lot of time though to peruse her site. She has some amazing Asian inspired recipes, and is a master at Udon, and her Japanese Cucumber Salad is happening soon! Two other recipes of Madi’s that are on my must make list are her Fluffernutter Cookies and her Apple Fritter Monkey Bread.
Coconut Mug Cake
I did make a couple of choices based on what I had on hand. Madi used unsweetened coconut in her cake, and I had sweetened coconut flakes. Either way, you can’t lose.
If you want to cut back on the sugar, use the unsweetened, and opt for honey or a sugar substitute in place of the white sugar I chose. This cake turns out so perfect and moist. It’s packed with coconut flavor from the cake to the topping.
I used canned whipped cream to make my life really easy. If you decide to make your own, add a dash of coconut extract to the whipped cream! YUM!
One of my FAVORITE frostings I have ever made is my Coconut Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting! It’s so good, it’s hard to not eat it by the spoonful before it gets to the cake!
Toasting coconut is actually really simple, too. So don’t skip that part! I have a How To Toast Coconut post for you to look at, but all I did was toss a healthy pinch of sweetened coconut flakes into a small skillet and turned it on low.
I toasted it while I mixed up the cake and microwaved it. Then I was ready to add it to the top when the whipped cream went on. Of course, if you are planning ahead to make these, like for that date night we talked about? Then do this step ahead.
Grab a spoon and dig in!
More Delicious Coconut Desserts:
- Coconut Pudding Poke Cake +Video
- Pineapple Coconut Tunnel Cake
- Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- Coconut Cream Poke Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Macaroons
Please be sure to check out Mildly Meandering, and browse through all of her recipes, read about her adventures as an English student at Michigan Tech, and keep up with her home life at one of the snowiest universities in the US, with her hedgehog, Sir Humphrey Pricklemeister, as well as her globetrotting travels. You will just love her. I know that I do!
Take a look at all of our Winter Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Coconut Mug Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Creamy Gorgonzola Pasta with Steak
- Bowl Me Over – Best Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Hostess at Heart – Chili Con Carne
- Kylee Cooks – Banana Cream Parfaits
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Chicken Bacon Penne Alfredo Casserole
- Lemon Blossoms – Valentine’s Day Dessert Nachos
- Mildly Meandering – Tiramisu Latte
- House of Nash Eats – Philly Cheesesteak Dip
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Chicken Lime Soup
- Take Two Tapas – Taco Tater Tots
- The Foodie Affair – Slow Cooked Meatballs
- The Speckled Palate – Boozy Bacon Pretzel Peanut Butter Bars
- West Via Midwest – Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Who Needs a Cape? – Cajun Chicken Meatballs in Cajun Cream Sauce
Time to get to making this coconut mug cake in minutes!
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Toasted Coconut and Whipped cream or ice cream for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Whisk in flour, baking powder, coconut, sugar, extract and milk.
- Place cup in microwave and cook for 1 1/2-2 minutes. (mine was done in a minute and a half)
- Cool slightly and top with whipped cream or ice cream and toasted coconut.
You can cut back on the sugar by simply reducing the amount or by using honey or sugar substitute and unsweetened coconut. It's also delicious with Vanilla Almond milk!
Yield:1 mug cake
Serving Size:1 mug cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1175Total Fat: 67gSaturated Fat: 51gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 718mgCarbohydrates: 134gFiber: 11gSugar: 89gProtein: 13g