There’s nothing quite like homemade Blueberry Pie, so simple yet so good. Plump fresh, juicy blueberries baked to perfection inside a rich, golden flaky crust make for the best dessert. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ll be in dessert heaven.
The next time you are tasked with preparing dessert for a potluck, a backyard barbeque, or any special occasion this easy blueberry pie should be your go-to recipe. Whether you use a homemade pie crust or prepared pie dough this blueberry pie with fresh blueberries is definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Do you Serve Blueberry Pie Hot or Cold?
Blueberry pie can be served either hot or cold, depending on personal preference. Some believe that serving the pie warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is the best way to enjoy it. While others prefer it chilled in the refrigerator. It is your personal preference how you enjoy your blueberry pie.
Ingredients in Homemade Blueberry Pie
Blueberries – I used fresh blueberries but frozen blueberries will also work, wild blueberries or regular blueberries are both fine. No need to bring the frozen blueberries to room temperature.
Sugar – Granulated white sugar adds some sweetness to the pie.
Cinnamon – Ground cinnamon also adds some sweetness to the blueberries.
Flour – A few tablespoons of flour help thicken up the blueberries.
Double Pie Crust – Make your own crust, use a store-bought pie crust or prepared pie shell for fruit pies.
Egg – An egg is used to make an egg wash for the top crust.
Milk – I added some milk to the egg for the egg wash.
Coarse sugar, optional – Coarse sugar adds a touch of sweetness to the crust.
Step-by-Step Instructions: How To Prepare a Blueberry Pie
First: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line a 9” pie plate with one crust.
Second: Mix the blueberries with the sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a large bowl.
Pour into the bottom crust.
Third: Top with the second crust in a lattice crust design with wide strips or a full crust.
*If using a full crust, vent the crust using a sharp knife.
Fourth: Brush the crust with the egg wash and dust with coarse sugar if desired. Cover the crust’s edge with foil.
Fifth: Bake for 25 minutes on the middle oven rack. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender. Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
Cover uneaten pie in the pie dish with plastic wrap and store on the kitchen counter for 3 days. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months though you may end up with a soggy bottom. Place the pie in the oven for a few minutes once thawed to crisp up the crust.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this recipe for fresh blueberry pie! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
- How do you keep blueberry pie from being runny? If you find your blueberry pie is runny you can add cornstarch, flour, or tapioca starch to the blueberry mixture.
- How much thickener for blueberry pie? For every cup of fruit use one tablespoon of white flour or 2 ½ teaspoons of cornstarch.
- How do you thicken blueberry pie filling without cornstarch? You can use regular white flour if you don’t want to use cornstarch.
- How long do you bake a blueberry pie? How long it takes to bake a blueberry pie depends on the specific recipe so make sure to follow the instructions carefully.
- How many cups of blueberries are in a blueberry pie? In this recipe, I’ve used 4 cups but it really depends on the recipe you are making.
Substitutions and Variations
If it isn’t blueberry season, and you can’t find fresh blueberries frozen blueberries or canned blueberry pie filling will also work, or use a blueberry pie filling recipe.
For a Gluten-Free option, use a gluten-free pie crust made with almond flour or a gluten-free flour mix.
Make the pie with a Crumble Topping instead of a traditional pie crust, and top the blueberries with a streusel topping instead.
Add fresh lemon zest or juice to the blueberry filling for a citrusy twist.
Combine blueberries with other raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries to create a mixed berry pie.
Make a Blueberry Galette, a gorgeous rustic pie.
Tips & Tricks
So that you don’t get a soggy crust, add a few tablespoons of cornstarch to the blueberry filling.
Place the homemade blueberry pie on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven in case the blueberries burst through the flaky crust while the pie bakes. You don’t want to end up with sticky blueberries to clean up.
Adjust the amount of sugar based on the sweetness of the blueberries.
More Blueberry Recipes to Love
I have lots of blueberry recipes for you to browse. Here are a few:
- Blueberry Orange Bread (pictured above)
- Blueberry Dessert Pizza
- Fresh Blueberry Margarita
- Upside Down Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- Homemade Blueberry Toaster Strudel
- Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Blueberry Banana Bundt Cake
This recipe for blueberry pie will not disappoint. You’ll be amazed at what you can get with just a few cups of blueberries and strips of dough. Simple and comforting, keep this blueberry pie recipe handy so you can make it on repeat.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- Double Pie Crust
- 1 egg + 1 Tablespoon milk for the egg wash
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9” pie plate with one crust.
- Mix the blueberries with the sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Pour into the crust.
- Top with the other crust in a lattice design or a full crust. *If using a full crust make sure to vent the crust.
- Brush the crust with the egg wash and dust with coarse sugar if desired. Cover the crust’s edge with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender.
Here is a link to my grandma's pie crust recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.