There used to be a “seasonal side” of Zucchini & Tomatoes at the Bone Fish Grill. It was always one of my favorites! The combination of fresh summer vegetables; Roma tomatoes, zucchini, and onions, all sauteed with butter and olive oil, and served with fresh basil leaves and shredded parmesan cheese for the perfect amount of Italian seasoning. This is one delicious side dish, my friends!
I loved them so much, that I decided I needed to learn to make this zucchini side dish at home. This zucchini and tomatoes recipe has been on my website since 2014. When the end of the summer months roll around, I can always count on getting asked that age-old question “do you want any zucchini?”
August 8th is actually deemed “Sneak a Zucchini on your neighbor’s Porch Day.” Did you know that? Makes sense, because this time of the year our own gardens and our farmer’s markets are bursting with fresh zucchini!
I love to find new ways to use these healthy squash. In fact, I have a whole recipe post dedicated to lots of sweet and savory recipes that use zucchini!
This particular recipe is not only Keto friendly, it is low carb, low in calories and packs 2 grams of fiber per serving. You can see the rest of the nutritional information in the recipe card below.
INGREDIENTS IN SAUTEED ZUCCHINI & TOMATOES
This easy recipe contains only a handful of ingredients and simple seasonings. For exact measurements and cooking times, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- green zucchini – I typically grab the small zucchini for this recipe. Save the big ones for grating into zucchini bread.
- tomatoes – any kind of tomatoes will work. Just make sure they are nice and ripe. Roma, vine tomatoes, and even cherry tomatoes are perfect.
- sweet onion – I prefer the mellow taste of the sweet onion for this recipe.
- olive oil and butter – for sauteeing
- Parmesan cheese – you can buy the pre-shredded but I prefer to shred my own.
- fresh basil – you could substitute dried basil, but nothing beats fresh herbs!
- salt and black pepper – to taste.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI & TOMATOES
This great side dish is all made right in one skillet! Fewer dishes? Count me in!
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and oil.
Add zucchini slices, onion, and tomatoes, and sautè for about 5-8 minutes.
Until the zucchini is your desired tenderness.
Remove from heat. Add in basil, salt, and fresh ground pepper. Stir to combine.
Pour into a serving dish, and top with Parmesan cheese.
Serve hot, with more cheese if desired.
tip: Or skip the casserole dish and serve it right out of the hot skillet.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this easy side dish recipe! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES TO LOVE
If you are one of the lucky ones with a garden full of zucchini – or maybe a sweet neighbor that keeps leaving them on your porch – here are some more of my favorite ways to use them:
- Italian Style Baked Zucchini Chips (pictured above)
- Grandma’s Zucchini Bread
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Frosted Zucchini Brownies
- Pumpkin Zucchini Streusel Bread
I love copycat recipes… that way I can have my favorite dine-out restaurant, like this Bone Fish Grill recipe, right in my own kitchen! Check out all of my Restaurant Copy Cat Recipes before you go!
Your whole family is sure to enjoy this zucchini recipe!
Here is the full recipe:
- 2 small green zucchini, halved length wise and sliced into half-moons
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced in large pieces
- 1 small sweet onion, diced in large pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- Fresh cracked black pepper and salt, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and heat oil.
- Add zucchini, onion and tomatoes, and sautè for about 5-8 minutes, or until veggies are desired tenderness.
- Add basil, salt and pepper, stir.
- Pour into a serving dish. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot, with more cheese if desired.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.
This recipe was originally posted on July 21, 2014. It has been updated to improve user experience and reshared on August 8, 2022.