Taking two favorites, a grilled cheese sandwich, and a pepperoni pizza, and combining them is in one word, brilliant. Truly the best of both worlds in one buttery toasted Italian grilled cheese, made with pizza sauce, fresh Italian herbs, spicy pepperoni, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheese.
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
From the minute you catch a whiff of these most excellent pepperoni grilled cheese sandwiches sizzling in the skillet, you might need to grab a napkin. Drooling is perfectly acceptable behavior while you wait for the cheese to melt. Then you might need a couple of more napkins for the aftermath.
Gimme all of the Pepperoni!
It’s no secret how much we enjoy pepperoni in this house. In fact, about 95% of the time I have some in the deli meat drawer of the fridge. The other 5% of the time, it’s on the shopping list.
Whether we are enjoying a Toasted Italian Sub Sandwich, a warming helping of Pizza Pasta, or settling in to watch a movie or game on tv with Pizza Dip or Pizza Pockets, you’ll find me smiling when there is pepperoni involved. Speaking of smiling, you have to check out these Pizza Monster Sandwiches, too!
Fresh is best
When you set out to make your pepperoni grilled cheese recipe, fresh is always best. When you have all of the vibrant colors and flavors to work with, the aroma alone will have you planning when to make these again. If fresh herbs are not available to you, dried will work, but if they are, choose them. They will truly make this a more gourmet grilled cheese.
Ingredients needed for Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
There really isn’t anything crazy in these pizza sandwiches. Basic ingredients like Italian sandwich bread, butter, pizza sauce, pepperoni, fresh basil, and oregano along with shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese just marry together so nicely to make one stellar sandwich.
You can take the shortcut and buy the pre-shredded cheese, but I encourage you to buy a block instead and grate your own. In addition to it melting so much better, there are so many other reasons to Grate Your Own Cheese.
How to make pizza grilled cheese
Preheat broiler. Butter one side of each piece of bread. Spread about 1 Tablespoon of sauce on the inside of two slices. Top sauce with pepperoni slices, reserving a couple of slices for the top.
Mix the two kinds of cheese together. Pile on the shredded cheese, dividing between the two sandwiches, reserving about ½ cup for the tops.
Give each a sprinkle of oregano and basil and place the other slice of bread on top.
Place the sandwiches in a cast-iron skillet and grill them about 3-4 minutes on each side, until they are toasty and golden brown. Sprinkle remaining cheese and pepperoni on top of the sandwiches and place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese melts.
Garnish with fresh herbs, red pepper flakes, and serve with a side of pizza sauce for dipping.
Love them? Pin them!
If you can’t wait to make these pepperoni melts – don’t forget where you found the recipe! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go.
What to serve with Grilled Cheese?
These sandwiches are a meal in themselves in my opinion, but I know people that always feel like a sandwich isn’t quite a whole meal. My mind always turns to tomato soup when I think grilled cheese, and my Tomato Basil or my Fire Roasted Tomato Soup would be great alongside these, as would any of these Italian style soups:
Whether you serve them alone, or with one of these options here, I hope that you give this recipe a try. I promise you won’t regret it!
Let’s make some sandwiches!
- 4 slices Italian Sandwich Bread
- ¼ cup pizza sauce (more for dipping)
- about 16 slices of pepperoni
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Sprinkle of fresh basil and oregano
- Garnish: fresh basil, fresh oregano, Italian parsley, red pepper flakes if desired
- Preheat broiler.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Spread about 1 Tablespoon
of sauce on the inside of two slices.
- Top sauce with pepperoni slices, reserving a couple of
slices for the top.
- Mix the two kinds of cheese together. Pile on the shredded
cheese, dividing between the two sandwiches, reserving about ½ cup for the tops.
Give each a sprinkle of oregano and basil and place the
the other slice of bread on top.
- Place the sandwiches in a cast-iron skillet and grill them
about 3-4 on each side, until nice and toasty and golden brown.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and pepperoni on top of the
sandwiches and place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese melts.
About 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1832Total Fat: 124gSaturated Fat: 55gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 62gCholesterol: 292mgSodium: 5348mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 103g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.