This Grasshopper Pie ice cream is the best out there! Creamy, boozy, sweet, and filled with prominent flavors of crème de menthe and crème de cacao mixed with sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. Super easy to make and the perfect after dinner treat for adults!
This no-churn ice cream made with chopped Oreos and is filled with prominent flavors of crème de menthe and crème de cacao, and it’s quickly going to become your new favorite dessert recipe. It certainly is mine! Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day when you’re needing something a little extra festive or maybe you’re celebrating for other reasons on a sunny day that calls for mint.
Grasshopper ice cream is just so much fun to make and made with just a handful of ingredients! Once you’ve finished mixing all the ingredients together, just put them in the freezer in your ice cream container, and it’ll be ready in no time!
Grasshopper Pie Ice Cream
This grasshopper ice cream is inspired by the classic cocktail known as the “grasshopper cocktail”, and it dates back to 1918 in New Orleans, Louisiana where it was created by a bar owner named Philip Guichet. Traditionally, the grasshopper cocktail is made with crème de menthe (where it gets its color) and crème de cacao. The flavors are that of a mint patty with some alcohol.
Since there are several grasshopper pie recipes that bring me back to my childhood, then I figured I would make an ice cream version of one of my favorite cocktails! If you like this recipe, then you’ll really love my frozen Grasshopper Cocktail or Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie. There are so many options when it comes to chocolate and mint!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- An adult spin on the classic Grasshopper pie, this chocolate mint ice cream is the perfect balance of chocolate and mint. Want to kick things up a notch? Drizzle some chocolate syrup over this cream.
- It’s the most beautiful shade of green making it not only a joy to eat, but also fun to look at!
- It’s loaded with chunks of chopped Oreo cookies that create an amazing texture.
- This boozy ice cream is the perfect treat for adults who are looking for something delicious and southern for dessert.
Ingredients for Grasshopper Ice Cream
For this easy ice cream recipe, you will need heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, crème de menthe, crème de cacao, green food coloring (optional), and roughly chopped Oreo cookies. Perfect for using up any Oreo cookies in the pantry!
Sweetened Condensed Milk- The sweetened condensed milk acts as a thick base for the ice cream and contains the two ingredients that give the ice cream that sweet flavor: sugar and milk. You can make your own sweetened condensed milk by simmering sugar with milk for 30 minutes, then stirring in butter and vanilla.
How to Make Grasshopper Pie Ice Cream
Line a nine-inch loaf pan with a single sheet of parchment paper then set aside. In a stand mixer, with a whisk attachment, whip the cream until stiff peaks form (this will roughly take four minutes). If you don’t have a mixer, then you can whisk the heavy cream by hand with a whisk, but this will take longer.
Slowly mix in the crème de menthe and crème de cacao, sweetened condensed milk, and food coloring (if using) until combined. When all ingredients have been combined, then gently fold in the chopped Oreo cookie pieces. Mix until combined, but don’t over mix!
Pour chocolate mint ice cream mixture into the prepared loaf pan, then freeze in the freezer overnight. When ready to enjoy, warm a spoon under warm water and dig in!
What flavor is Grasshopper?
Grasshopper pie tastes exactly like a peppermint patty! There are flavors of cacao (similar to cocoa) and mint. When you add those two ingredients, plus some cream, then you’re met with delicacy. Add the adult alcoholic additions to the mix, and you’ve got a delicious after dinner dessert that will bring you back to childhood days. Except this dessert isn’t for kids.
Notes for This Oreo Recipe
- For a nonalcoholic grasshopper ice cream: Substitute peppermint extract for the crème de menthe and white chocolate cocoa powder for the crème de cacao. Mix one teaspoon of the peppermint extract and one packet of white cocoa, then blend with three scoops of mint ice cream. If the ice cream is colored green, then it looks pretty similar.
- Chocolate liqueur: You can substitute chocolate liqueur for the crème de cacao in this recipe, but keep in mind that has a sweeter flavor and this will alter the recipe.
- Storage: We recommend storing this homemade ice cream recipe in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two weeks. This ice cream is best enjoyed fresh!
Love it? Pin It!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your Pinterest board to save it for later!
Other Frozen Recipes to Check Out
- Frozen Vodka Slush
- Pink Squirrel Cocktail
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Vanilla Caramel Swirl Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter & Banana Ice Cream
Let’s make some ice cream!
Grasshopper Pie Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 ounces crème de menthe
- 2 ounces crème de cacao
- green food coloring (if desired for color)
- 15 Oreo cookies, cream removed, rough chopped
- Line a 9” loaf pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a stand mixer, with a whisk attachment, whip the cream
until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly mix in crème de menthe and crème de cacao, sweetened
condensed mix and additional food coloring (if using) When combined, fold in
the crumbled cookie pieces.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Freeze overnight.
Leave a Reply