An Open-Faced Pizza Burger is an English muffin topped with a ground beef pizza sauce mixture full of gooey cheesy goodness, baked up, and served open-faced.
Open-Faced Pizza Burgers on English Muffins
A long time ago I adapted this pizza burger recipe from one I found in a small town church cookbook. My hubby loves pizza burgers, so I thought I would give them a try.
They are not a traditional “burger” because they are served open-faced. The meat, sauce and cheese are mixed together and placed on top of a toasted English muffin, then baked in the oven and served open-faced. So, whereas you’d eat a normal burger with your hands, these are more of a fork and knife meal.
School Cafeteria Pizza Burgers
Remember the open-faced pizza burgers they made for school lunches back in the day? These open-faced burgers are reminiscent of those.
I remember being able to pick the school pizza burgers up though and biting into them like you would a bagel. Of course, looking back, they weren’t really loaded up as much as I loaded up mine, so that was probably why it was easier. You could add less meat mixture and use more English muffins and stretch this meal a lot further, too.
They would also make great little appetizers on mini English muffins or bagels!
Freezing pizza Burgers
These pizza burgers are a great make-ahead meal. Wrap them individually in foil or ziplock bags when they cool and store them in an airtight container.
When you’re ready to eat one, either warm it back up in the oven or the air fryer. My favorite way to warm up leftover pizza works great for these burgers, too. Heat a skillet up and warm that way. The bottom crisps back up and the top is melty again. You can place these in the microwave to warm them, just know that you’ll lose that crispness to the crust.
How to make Open-Faced Pizza Burgers
Pizza burgers couldn’t be easier to make. Simply brown lean ground beef with onion and some salt and pepper.
Add in pizza sauce, oregano, Parmesan, cheddar and Mozarella cheese.
Stir to combine.
Pre-Bake your English muffins.
Divide the mixture between 12 English muffin halves.
Bake until hot and melty. Serve.
Ooey, gooey, cheesy pizza goodness.
Love them? Pin them!
Don’t forget where you found this Open-Faced Pizza Burger Recipe! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board so you can grab it easily when you need it.
Who Doesn’t Love Pizza?
Have you ever met anyone that didn’t love pizza? I find any way that I can to get those cheesy pizza flavors into all sorts of recipes! Check out some of my pizza recipe favorites!
- Pizza Meatloaf Minis
- Dorothy’s Pizza Pockets
- Pizza Dip (Pictured Above)
- Pizza Monster Sandwiches
- Copy Cat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- Pizza Pasta
- Blueberry Streusel Dessert Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Breakfast Hashbrown Pizza
- Spinach Artichoke Alfredo Pizza
- Reuben Pizza
- Supreme Pizza Soup
Let’s get to the Open-Faced Pizza Burger Recipe! I am starving!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste (go easy on the salt, because the cheese makes it salty, too!)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 English muffins, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Brown ground beef together with onion, garlic and onion powders. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut English muffins in half horizontally, and place them inside up on a cookie sheet.
- Pre-bake muffins for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove ground beef from heat and stir cheese, pizza sauce and oregano.
- Divide evenly and top each of the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 1/2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 660mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g
Based on 1 1/2 pizza burgers. Nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.
This recipe was originally posted on September 9, 2015. It was updated to improve user experience and re-shared on July 24, 2020.