This one-pan, easy recipe for Creamy Mushrooms and Bacon will be on the table in no time at all. This recipe is so versatile; it makes a wonderful side dish to any protein or a perfect main dish. Make it extra comforting and serve over noodles for a creamy mushroom pasta recipe that will have you coming back for more!
Creamy Mushrooms and Bacon
In this recipe, fresh mushrooms are sauteed in butter until golden brown and then simmered with garlic, heavy cream, and white wine. Once the mushrooms are simmering with goodness, the crispy bacon is added and the dish is topped with cheese and broiled until bubbly and irresistibly yummy.
The great thing about mushrooms is that they are available any time of the year so if you want to serve this side dish over the holidays you won’t have any issues finding them. However, I guarantee this mushroom dish is going be a crowd-pleaser year-round. Make sure to serve some garlic bread on the side to soak up the cream sauce.
Easy Mushroom Recipe
Simple to prepare with basic ingredients this recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes making it a great option for a busy weeknight but decadent enough for a fancy dinner party, holiday celebration, or potluck.
Ingredients for Garlic Butter Mushrooms
For complete ingredients and instructions scroll to the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe.
- Bacon – Bacon, cut into large cubes. Sub turkey bacon if you don’t eat pork bacon.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted butter both work well.
- Mushrooms – Brown cremini mushrooms are great but any kind of mushrooms will work. White mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms are also good choices.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil is best but any kind will work.
- White wine – Any type of dry white wine will work like Pinot Grigio.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves, minced, are best but jarred garlic is an option.
- Parsley – Fresh parsley, chopped, adds flavor and some color.
- Thyme – Fresh thyme, chopped, adds a sweet and peppery flavor.
- Salt and pepper – Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream adds richness and creates a creamy sauce.
- Cheese – I used a combination of freshly grated mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese for the ultimate in cheesy goodness.
- Fresh parsley – Add a touch of fresh parsley for a garnish.
How to make side dish mushrooms
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this decadent side dish.
Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon.
Cook bacon until crispy then remove. Don’t remove the bacon fat.
Add the butter to the hot skillet with the leftover bacon grease and allow to melt.
Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
To the sauteed mushrooms, add the white wine and cook for a few minutes to allow it to reduce slightly.
Add the garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
Add the heavy cream and lower the heat to allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler, and add the cooked bacon back to the skillet.
Stir to combine.
Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and mozzarella over the dish and broil for 4 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
Serve with fresh parsley.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. You can freeze leftovers for up to 3 months though the flavor and texture of the dish may not be the same.
Love it? Pin it!
If you love this creamy garlic mushrooms recipe, make sure that you don’t lose it! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
FAQs about this creamy mushroom recipe
- Can I make this dish in advance and reheat it later? Yes, you can prepare this dish and reheat it over the stovetop or in the microwave.
- What main course dishes pair well with this creamy mushroom dish? Though this side dish goes with anything, I sometimes serve it with Baked Pork Chops and I love it with steak!
- How can I make this dish even creamier? To add even more creaminess to these mushrooms stir in some cream cheese. Both full-fat and low-fat will work.
Remember that when it comes to making substitutions in recipes, you don’t need to be afraid to get creative and use ingredients that suit your personal taste and dietary preferences. Make it your own!
If you want to keep the recipe alcohol free use chicken broth or chicken stock instead of white wine.
Try portobello, baby Bella, button mushrooms, or a blend of mushrooms. Any kind of mushroom will taste great.
Use half and half for a lighter version of creamy mushrooms and bacon.
Tips & Tricks
Try to use whole mushrooms that are all the same size so they cook at the same pace in this easy side dish. I prefer whole mushrooms to sliced mushrooms.
- Prepare this recipe on your grill or pellet smoker any time of the year.
Allow the mushrooms to come to room temperature before storing them.
Make sure to gently wipe off any dirt on the mushrooms before you cook them.
More Recipes to Love
Garlic Cheese Asparagus (pictured above)
This mushroom side dish is an absolute must. Pair it with just about any main course and you’ll be amazed at how it will elevate your entire meal to a new level of deliciousness.
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into large cubes 2 tbsp butter
- 1 pound (16 ounces) cremini mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until crispy then remove.
- Add the butter to the hot skillet and allow to melt.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the white wine and cook for a few minutes to allow it to reduce slightly.
- Add the garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add the heavy cream and lower the heat to allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Add the cooked bacon back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and mozzarella over the dish and broil for 4 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Serve with fresh parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Professional Cheese Grater - Stainless Steel
ZYLISS Classic Rotary Cheese Grater - NSF Restaurant Certified
OXO 3- Piece Wooden Spoon Set
4 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs
12-Piece Black Sharp Knife Set with Covers, Cutting Board and Sharpener
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet With Assist Handle, 10.25", Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 1279mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.