This Strawberry Banana Cream Pie is made with a buttery graham cracker crust, filled with a vanilla custard and bananas, chilled then topped with fresh strawberries before serving. Beautiful presentation and so scrumptious!
I know … I have been posting a lot of strawberry recipes lately. How can I not? The strawberries have been SO GOOD! We just can’t get enough of them this time of year.
When browsing my assigned page for Secret Recipe Club this month, Well Dined, this Strawberry Banana Cream Pie just leaped out at me! Oh, sure, there are TONS of other things that I could have made; like this Greek Style Zucchini Salad or these Salty Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies.
This isn’t the first time I have been assigned Sarah’s blog. Back in November, I made her recipe for S’Mores Treats for a Holiday Baking theme. Sarah is an avid home cook, and also reviews restaurants on her blog, Well Dined.
This pie was so delicious! It had a very subtle banana taste, as the custard is vanilla flavored and banana slices are layered in between. The crust is made from graham crackers, and it has a light cinnamon flavor. Topped with strawberries in a “spoke pattern,” right before serving. Isn’t the presentation beautiful?
What do I need to make a Strawberry Banana Cream Pie?
- graham crackers
- milk, butter, eggs
- bananas, strawberries
- corn starch
- cinnamon, vanilla
If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I whole-heartedly LOVE pies. Sure — I have plenty of cake recipes, too. But pies? That is where it’s at. I thought since you were here today, maybe you felt the same way. So I figured I would share some of my other favorites before you go?
My Favorite Pie Recipes:
- S’Mores Cream Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- French Silk Pie
- Grandma’s Rhubarb Pie
- Chocolate Meringue Pie
- Spiced Peach Pie with Crumb Topping
I love that bright little heart-shaped strawberry in the middle!
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 pint small strawberries, sliced (about two cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon until well blended. Press mixture into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. Cool.
- To prepare the custard: Whisk 2 cups of milk, with the sugar and salt in a medium saucepan, over medium heat and bring to a boil. In a medium sized heatproof bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 cup milk with the cornstarch. Whisk the egg and egg yolks into the cornstarch mixture. Slowly whisk about 1/3 of the hot milk into the cornstarch mixture. As milk continues to boil, whisk warmed egg mixture back into milk, whisking constantly until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Continuing to whisk constantly, mixture will begin to thicken within minutes. Continue whisking and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Pour half of the hot filling into the pie crust. Arrange sliced banana. Pour the remaining half of the filling over the banana, scraping the pan clean with a rubber spatula. Use the spatula to smooth over the top. Press plastic wrap directly onto the filling and refrigerate the pie until cold. (at least one hour) Before serving, let the pie sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Arrange sliced strawberries in a spoke pattern over the top just before serving.
I had vanilla graham crackers on hand, so I used them for the crust. I will be doing that again! GREAT flavor!
Recipe from Well Dined
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g