Easy French Silk Chocolate Pie
Pie season is upon us, and what better way is there to celebrate than with this sweet French silk pie recipe? The filling is perfectly creamy with flavors of chocolate and vanilla that are irresistible and taste EXTRA special with the airy whipped cream topping accented with rich chocolate curls.
I like to make this old-fashioned chocolate silk pie two ways: with a homemade Oreo crust and my Grandma’s flaky pie crust. Both pie crusts create such great results you will want to make two versions of this pie for the holidays–they’re that good! Whenever I am wanting to sweeten things up a little, I typically use the buttery Oreo crust.
Why is it Called French Silk Pie?
French silk pie gets its name from the ultra-smooth and creamy filling that encompasses this pie. Because the filling is like a smooth chocolate mousse, it sort of resembles the softness of silk!
What is French Silk Pie Made of?
This pie is made with classic ingredients that allow this pie to be super satisfying and extra delicious! This silk pie tastes one thousand percent better than any French Silk pie you ever ordered at Village Inn. I promise. It’s worth every minute you invest in making it.
Pie Crust and Filling
For the Oreo Crust:
- Oreos– I like to use storebought Oreos for this recipe–especially the kind that are not double-stuffed! I use the classic Oreos.
- Vanilla– Rich vanilla extract provides flavor to the crust and filling making it extra delicious.
- Butter– You will need softened and melted butter so make sure you have both! Unsalted or salted will be fine.
For the Filling:
- Sugar– Granulated sugar is used for this silky chocolate pie.
- Chocolate– Unsweetened chocolate is used for this recipe. It gives the pie a rich chocolate flavor that isn’t overly sweet.
- Eggs– Whole eggs are used to make the filling extra creamy and fluffy and give it its silky textures.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted is fine.
- Vanilla Extract – Invest in some pure vanilla extract. Makes a world of difference!
For the Whipped Topping:
Heavy Cream– Regular heavy whipping cream is used to make the freshly whipped cream that balances the pie.
Powdered Sugar– Also known as icing or confectioners sugar, the powdered sugar is used to give the whipped topping a little sweetness.
Vanilla– What is whipped cream without vanilla?! Be sure to use your favorite pure vanilla extract.
How to Make This French Silk Pie Recipe
You will love the simplicity of this chocolate silk pie recipe! You’ll get it right every single time!
Step One – Make the Crust
First, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Crush the cookies either in a food processor or in a sealed bag with a heavy object. Pour the crumbs into a bowl with the vanilla extract and melted butter and mix with a fork until moist.
Press the Oreo crust into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
Bake the pie crust for ten minutes and set it aside to cool. Learn how to pre-bake a pie crust for your favorite pies.
Make the Filling
Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy–about two minutes or so. Slowly, while the machine is running, add the vanilla extract and cooled melted chocolate.
Next, add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition on medium speed for five minutes. This process will take about fifteen minutes in total.
Spread the mousse into the cooled crust.
Step Three – Chill the Pie
Cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight.
Make the Whipped Topping
In a mixer with a whisk attachment, pour the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla and whip until the cream has stiff high peaks.
Top the chilled chocolate pie filling with whipped cream and garnish with freshly shaved chocolate curls before serving!
- Store the leftover chocolate pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four days.
- Make this pie ahead of time by making the filling and chilling until ready to use. Just be sure to make the whipped cream right before serving for the fluffiest results.
Love it?! Be Sure to Pin This Recipe!
Save this recipe to serve during the holidays or the next time you have a sweet tooth for a rich pie. Save this pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest dessert board!
Can I eat French Silk Pie with Raw Eggs?
Yes, this French silk pie is safe to eat with raw eggs! Organic eggs are pasteurized and great for silky pie filling. Pasteurized eggs have been brought to rapidly high temperatures that kill any form of bacteria so you can feel safe about eating French silk pie!
Serve this chocolate silk pie recipe after your favorite main dishes and with other tasty holiday desserts. There are so many options for this chocolate pie.
Enjoy a slice of pie with a glass of milk or a cup of warm coffee or tea!
More Pie Recipes You Will Love
- Chocolate Lasagna
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Key Lime Slab Pie
- Chocolate Marshmallow Pie Crust
- Lemon Ice Box Pie
- Coconut Banana Cream Pie
French Silk Pie
This is the most PERFECT French Silk Pie. It's rich, chocolaty and silky smooth.
- French Silk Pie
- 1/2 package of Oreos (not double stuffed) crushed in food processor
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Whipped topping:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons of powdered sugar
- chocolate curls or shavings for serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Crush cookies and in a bowl, pour in vanilla and melted butter. Mix with a fork until moist.
- Press into bottom and sides of a 9" deep dish pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes or so. While machine is running add your vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- (15 minutes total)
- Pour filling into cooled crust, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In your mixer with the whisk attachment, pour cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Whip until cream is stiff.
- Top your filling with cream, and add shaved or curled chocolate to top for serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.
Leave a Reply