Why, had I waited SO LONG?!?!
Well, it only got me to thinking more and more about how to switch it up, how to make other versions.
You could also add chicken if you wanted, or just leave it the way it is!
- 12 ounces linguine pasta
- 32 ounces of chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (about 1- 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots (I bought a bag of already shredded carrots, worked great!)
- 1 Tablespoon ginger paste, or the same fresh grated
- tops of 3 green onions (shallots), divided
- 1 1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts, slightly chopped, divided
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned, optional
- 1 cup cilantro, slightly chopped, divided
- 1/2- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if your prefer it spicier)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- Fresh lime, sliced for serving
In a large pot, pour water and chicken stock.
To this add the following: pasta, onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, 3/4 of both shallots and cilantro, (reserve some for serving) 1 cup of peanuts, (reserve rest for serving) soy sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes, honey, sesame oil, curry paste and lime juice.
Place lid on pot and turn on high. Let it come to a boil, give it a stir, and reduce to a simmer.
Cover and cook for about 6 minutes.
(stir every couple minutes, so nothing sticks.)
Dump in shrimp and bean sprouts, stir and cover, let it cook for about 6 minutes more, until shrimp are steamed, and pasta is cooked.
There will be a small amount of sauce in the bottom.
Serve topped with remaining shallots, cilantro and peanuts, with a lime slice to squeeze if desired.
If you are adding chicken, you would most likely want to add it at the beginning to make sure it’s cooked properly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 164mg Sodium: 1328mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Protein: 28g