This Grown-Up Orange Julius is reminiscent of that favorite childhood treat, kicked up a notch with some vanilla vodka!
I remember, as a kid, my mom would get us an Orange Julius at the mall from time to time. It was always a special treat for us. As a mom myself, I began this same tradition when my kids were little. Sometimes even using it as a bribe while I got my shopping done. “If everyone is good, we can get an Orange Julius on the way out!” I have four kids, it’s warranted.
Sometimes, when we have ice cream for an evening snack, we would add orange juice to our vanilla ice cream in the blender and make a mock-orange Julius. But sometimes, mama needs a little more than a mocktail, mama needs a cocktail!
SOME OF THE ITEMS BELOW CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS; I AM A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES. I AM ALSO AN AFFILIATE FOR OTHER BRANDS. HOWEVER, I ONLY PROMOTE THINGS THAT I LOVE AND THINK YOU WILL LOVE, TOO. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY PLEASE CLICK HERE.
What is an Orange Julius?
Back in the day, there was an Orange Julius in the food court of just about every mall I can remember. This vanilla orange drink was iconic.
It’s too thin to be considered a milkshake and too sweet to be called a smoothie. Think of it as a frothy dessert drink made from milk, vanilla, orange juice, and sugar, blended with ice.
I think Orange Julius was bought out by Dairy Queen at some point and they merged together. Not sure if they have them in the malls anymore, because, like many people, I don’t go to the mall much anymore. Online shopping can be thought of as a blessing and a curse, right?
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget where you found this unique and delicious Grown-Up Orange Julius recipe! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
Ingredients in an Orange Julius Cocktail
If you look at the ingredients list of the Dairy Queen Orange Julius, it’s full of a bunch of words that most likely add up to preservatives. As I said, there are many Orange Julius recipes floating around, and for the most part, they are basically the same; Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate, Milk, Vanilla, Powdered Sugar and Ice.
But how do you make a Grown-Up Orange Julius?
To start, mix up some orange zest and sugar. You’ll use this to rim your glass.
Mix your sugar and orange zest together on a plate, and dampen the rim of the glass with some orange juice before rolling it through the sugar. Fill the glass with ice and set it aside.
Add ice to a martini shaker and pour in orange juice, french vanilla creamer, milk, and vodka. Shake it all together and pour it into your prepared glass.
Drink it as is, or
make it fancy with some whipped cream and a sprinkling of orange zest. Add an orange slice to the rim and enjoy!
A tipsy Orange Julius in a pint glass or
or a Grown-Up Orange Julius Martini!
Fun Cocktail Recipes
So, besides this spiked Orange Julius, I have tons of other cocktails you are sure to enjoy! Here are some of my favorites:
- Pink Squirrel Cocktail
- Frozen Vodka Slush
- White Russian Cocktail
- Dreamsicle Martini
- Pink Pussycat Martini
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Martini
- Over 17 Jell-O Shot Flavors
I hope that you get the chance to relax and enjoy one of these Grown-Up Orange Julius really soon!
- 2 Tablespoons French vanilla coffee creamer
- 50 ml Vanilla Vodka (Whipped Vodka would be good, too)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup milk
- sugar and orange zest for rimming glasses
- whipped cream, orange zest and orange slices for serving
- Fill a large martini glass with ice to chill for about 5 minutes. (if using a pint glass skip this step)
- Pour about 1/4 cup sugar onto a plate. Zest about 1 teaspoon of orange on top of the sugar. With the back of a fork, rub the zest and sugar together.
- Dampen the edge of the glass (martini or pint glass) with orange juice. Tip the glass upside down into the sugar, and coat the rim. If using a pint glass fill it with ice. Set glass aside.
- In a martini shaker, with a handful of ice - add orange juice, french vanilla creamer, milk and vodka. Shake well.
- Pour into the chilled martini glass, (or over ice in a pint glass) add an orange slice, top with whipped cream and a little orange zest. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 5gSugar: 43gProtein: 6g
nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.
I originally posted this Grown-Up Orange Julius on March 20, 2015. It was updated to improve user experience and re-shared on August 21, 2020.