If you love Reubens, you are sure to love this rich and creamy rendition of this popular sandwich in a soup!
There is nothing more satisfying than a hearty bowl of soup when there is a chill in the air. I do believe that winter is finally upon us. We had an unseasonably warm fall, but this last week, we have had some crazy weather. Rain, and 50 mph winds, hail, tornados and snow — it’s been crazy! The cold has settled in and the coats have come out of the closets, and my mind has turned to planning meals that are capable of warming from the inside out. Last week we enjoyed this fantastic new recipe for a soup modeled around one of our most favorite sandwiches, the Reuben. Corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese – engulfed in a creamy base and topped with homemade Rye croutons.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Frank’s Kraut. The opinions and text are all mine.
Of course, whenever I cook anything with sauerkraut, I ALWAYS choose, Frank’s Kraut.
Frank’s Kraut is one of the most versatile vegetables on the grocery shelf. Kraut provided nutrition and zest to many meals. It’s made with 3 ingredients; Cabbage, Salt and Water. It’s low in calories and gluten free, and comes in many flavors.
To learn more check out their website.
This soup starts with onion, corned beef, chicken stock and 8 ounces of Frank’s Kraut.
Spices, carrots Swiss cheese and cream make it all round out into the perfect bowl of soup.
Don’t you wish you had a spoon?
Top it with Homemade Rye Croutons!
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked corned beef, chopped and trimmed of fat
- 8 ounces Frank’s sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cups shredded carrots, chopped coarsely
- 12 ounces sliced Swiss cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, combine chicken stock, sauerkraut, corned beef, onion, bay leaf, oregano and white pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat, and simmer covered 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Stir cornstarch into water. Add mixture to soup as well as the carrots. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes, soup will begin to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low, add the Swiss and stir until combined and melted. Stir in cream. Heat through.
- Serve topped with shredded Swiss cheese and Rye Croutons.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 587 Total Fat: 45g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 150mg Sodium: 1233mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 30g