Rich chocolate bundt cake with a coconut tunnel inside. Drizzled with both chocolate and vanilla icing. Just like that age old mix time forgot.
I originally posted this recipe in October of 2011, although the process of perfecting this cake took years before that.
I decided it was time for this to be re-posted, as the pictures I had way back when certainly didn’t do this cake justice. So, before I share the recipe with you, let me tell you how I went about trying to make this cake.
- For the Cake
- One Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix- prepared according to box instructions
- For the Filling
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For chocolate glaze you can add 2 Tablespoons of cocoa to the above mixture.
- (I glaze with both flavors. Because did I mention how good that puddle of icing in the middle is?!?!)
- ** If you're in a hurry, you can cheat and microwave frosting in a can and drizzle over the top.**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix as per box instructions. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with a fork quickly mix egg whites. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix again. Stir in coconut and flour.
- Pour about ½ of the cake mix into your bundt pan. (see photo in blog post) Now spoon filling in a "tunnel" on top of the batter. Be careful not to let the filling touch the pan. Now pour and evenly cover the tunnel with the rest of the batter.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 20-30 minutes and turn onto a plate to cool the rest of the way.
- Drizzle with frosting if you desire.