This Bacon Veggie Sandwich Spread is a thick and rich spread made with cream cheese, green onions, celery, dill, chives, and real bacon bits for a drool-worthy way guaranteed to add loads of flavor to any sandwich.
My family loves this bacon veggie sandwich spread and I guarantee that yours will, too! If you are a fan of flavored cream cheese spreads, this one will be right up your alley. My kids love it on toasted bagels for breakfast and of course hoagie sandwiches. So easy, it whips right up in your food processor in no time!
Bacon Veggie Sandwich Spread
For me, the combination of cream cheese and bacon bits is the ultimate flavor bomb. The richness of the cream cheese along with the saltiness of the bacon bits is just so irresistibly good and really gives this spread its unique flavor. How can this union not complement anything you put it on, right? Add in fresh herbs and garlic and you’ve got an over-the-top delectable spread.
Veggie Sandwich Spread
The perfect creamy texture to smear on your favorite sandwich bread, white bread, bagel, whole wheat roll, or even crackers, you should definitely have a container of this sandwich spread in the fridge at all times. You can also use it as a dip with some fresh-cut veggies or use it in place of mayonnaise for your next egg salad sandwich.
We think that bacon makes everything better – but if you prefer to have a vegetarian sandwich spread, simply leave out the bacon. That makes it a great Lenten option, too.
If you love this bacon veggie sandwich spread recipe, you are sure to love these recipes too: Pickled Beet Hummus, Mediterranean Cheese Board With Cauliflower Hummus, or this Dilled Brussels Sprouts Dip.
Bacon Veggie Sandwich Spread Recipe
With just a handful of basic ingredients, this dip comes together in minutes either in the food process or blender. Store the sandwich spread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and use it instead of butter, mayonnaise, ketchup or mustard, or any other sandwich spread you typically use. (Though I don’t think it would pair that well with jelly instead of peanut butter on your PB&J sandwich.)
I guarantee the spread will taste amazing on any of your favorite sandwiches like a club sandwich, or even on cheese sandwiches. Add crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, tomato slices, and red onion and you’ll have a great, one-of-a-kind sandwich.
Sandwich Spread Ingredients
For complete ingredients and instructions scroll to the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe.
- Cream cheese: Low fat is good but full fat also works, softened.
- Mayonnaise: I used low fat but any kind will work well.
- Green onions: Sliced green onions taste great, but shallots or red onions are also good.
- Celery: Diced celery pieces add flavor.
- Carrots: Cut into matchstick pieces, carrots also add some color and flavor.
- Chives: Fresh chives are best but dried chives are a good option.
- Dill: Here too fresh is great but if you don’t have any in the fridge or freezer use dried.
- Bacon bits: Real bacon bits will pack the most flavor.
- Garlic powder: What’s a spread without garlic?
How to make a sandwich spread
So simple to make, yet so tasty. Here is how to prepare this sandwich spread.
Place all of the ingredients in your food processor.
Blend until smooth.
Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
Store leftover sandwich spread in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing the spread but suggest you use leftovers with crackers or as a dip for vegetables.
Love it? Pin it!
If you love this bacon veggie sandwich spread make sure that you don’t lose it! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
FAQs Sandwich Spread
- What are three types of sandwich spread? It seems that the three most popular sandwich spreads are mayonnaise, butter, and salad dressing.
- Which is the most popular sandwich spread? Research tells me that mayonnaise is the most popular sandwich spread. You can tell how popular it is with all the different kinds of mayonnaise available these days. The options have really exploded over the years. Take a look at how big the section is the next time you are in the grocery store.
- What does sandwich spread have in it? Sandwich spread can have any number of ingredients from mayonnaise to cream cheese, to mustard, vegetables, and even chickpeas in the case of hummus.
- What are the two most commonly used spreads for sandwiches? Butter and mayonnaise are the most common spreads as they are considered staples that most people have on hand at all times.
- What are two examples of vegetable purées used as sandwich spreads? Both guacamole, made with ripe avocado, and baba ganouj, made with eggplant are vegetable purees that can be spread on sandwiches to add flavor and moisture.
- What is vegetarian bacon made out of? Vegetarian Bacon/Vegan Bacon can be made with soy (tofu or tempeh), pea protein, wheat (seitan), coconut, eggplant, mushrooms and there is even rice paper bacon. There are lots of creative ways to make vegetarian bacon, some of them using liquid smoke to get that smoky bacon flavor.
- Is veggie bacon healthy? Depending on the ingredients, veggie bacon can be healthy. Watch out for ingredients that are hard to pronounce, any added sugar, or high sodium content.
- What is MorningStar bacon made out of? If you are looking for MorningStar bacon ingredients, you can find them here.
Remember that when it comes to making substitutions in recipes, you don’t need to be afraid to get creative and use ingredients that suit your personal taste and dietary preferences. Make it your own!
If you can’t find plain cream cheese try using a chive or a garlic-based one.
Make the dip vegetarian and use imitation bacon bits.
Add different herbs to change the flavor profile, try basil or oregano.
Make a vegan spread and use vegan bacon, instead of traditional bacon, like coconut bacon or tempeh bacon, vegan cream cheese, and vegan mayonnaise.
Tips & Tricks
Take the cream cheese out of the fridge before you begin to prepare the spread so it has time to soften.
Double the recipe and use the spread on toast, bagels, or eat with crackers and veggies.
Add a sprinkle of black pepper for a more intense flavor.
More Recipes to Love
I originally made this sandwich spread for this Garden Club Hoagie Sandwich recipe, pictured above. Since then, we have made it on several occasions all on its own. It’s perfect for brunches, and we love it all on its own as a dip, too! Here are some more versatile spreads and dip recipes that we love:
- Muffuletta Spread
If you are looking for a way to up your sandwich game, look no further! This creamy, savory bacon veggie sandwich spread will take your sandwich to the next level. You may just find yourself making sandwiches a little more often just so you can enjoy this spread.
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup low mayonnaise
- 2 whole green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup celery pieces
- 1/3 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 Tablespoon chives
- 1/2 Tablespoon dill
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add all of the ingredients into your food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
Discard any unused sandwich spread after 4 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.