This Taco Soup recipe takes the classic Mexican-inspired flavors of a traditional taco to a whole new level. It’s loaded with all of the classic taco-style ingredients – but it is even easier to make!
Has your family gotten into a Taco Tuesday rut? Look no further than this zesty beef taco soup recipe! This dish is way more portable than traditional tacos – which means that you can take leftovers to lunch with you the next day. Your friends and family will be delighted if you bring this flavorful dish to the next potluck or get together, too!
This recipe is a staple for fall and winter but can be enjoyed any time of the year. Looking for more hearty soup and chili recipes? Try my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili!
Easy Taco Soup with Ground Beef
Filling and hearty, Mexican taco soup is an excellent choice when planning your weekly meals. Easy ingredients like sour cream, onions and garlic make this recipe so flavorful yet creamy. Top it with avocado slices, tortilla chips and cilantro to add even more flavor!
Prefer a spicier version? A creamier version? Customize this delicious dish to your personal preferences! Try making your own homemade taco seasoning for even more ways to customize this dish. To thicken the dish, add more sour cream.
Taco soup will stay fresh for about one week in the fridge, though you can also freeze it! Store in individual portions in an airtight container or freezer-safe baggie. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Want to make this recipe even easier? Make it in the slow cooker! I have supplied instructions on how to make crock pot taco soup in the recipe card below.
TACO SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Lean Ground Beef: Use ground beef with no more than 10 percent fat. For more tender flavor, try this recipe with shredded chicken. Chicken taco soup is a wonderful crowd-pleaser!
- Onion: Cooked onions give this dish a rich flavor and a subtle sweetness.
- Garlic: Perfectly paired with the onions, this dish would lack flavor without the use of garlic.
- Taco Seasoning: A packet of taco seasoning works great – but if you really want to pack this with flavor, try making your own homemade taco seasoning with my easy recipe!
- Mexican Stewed Tomatoes: Stewed tomatoes are best used in dishes that require either larger chunks of cooked tomato, such as stew and chili.
- Rotel Tomatoes: Made with a mix of red tomatoes and green chilies, canned Rotel is tangy, spicy, and shelf-stable.
- Pinto Beans: Filled with protein and fiber, pinto beans are easy to cook and taste delicious as a side dish or a main ingredient in soups, stews, burritos, and many Mexican dishes.
- Mexicorn: Mexicorn is a vegetable mix from Green Giant. It’s a combination of corn, green bell pepper and red bell peppers.
- Beef Stock: Beef stock helps intensify the flavors of your soup or stew.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Shredded cheddar melts extremely well but also works well as a topping. It also brings that slightly sharp quality to the dish.
- Sour Cream: Creates a creamier quality and helps balance the spicy flavors.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SOUP
In a large Dutch oven, brown ground beef with onion and garlic until cooked through. Drain excess grease.
Purée Mexican stewed tomatoes and Rotel in a blender or food processer until smooth.
Add taco seasoning to the browned ground beef.
Add in purèed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, MexiCorn and beef stock to the pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour.
About 10 minutes before you serve, stir in sour cream and half of the cheese, reserving the rest for topping.
Serve hot garnished with cilantro, more sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado and tortilla chips if desired. Enjoy!
Love them? Pin them!
Don’t forget where you found this delectable Taco Soup recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
OTHER TACO RECIPES YOU WILL ENJOY
In my world, tacos are one of the main food groups! Here are some great ways to enjoy that taco flavor:
- Taco Loaded Baked Potato
- Aunt Sue’s Taco Salad
- Taco Dip
- Taco Stew
- Yummy Taco Meatloaf
- Indian Tacos with Indian Fry Bread
- Taco Pork Chops
- Mom’s Taco Casserole
Let’s make some savory Taco Soup!
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet (4 Tablespoons) Taco Seasoning
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexicorn
- 1 (32 ounce) beef stock
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream + more for serving
- Optional garnish: avocado, cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven, brown ground beef with onion and garlic until cooked through. Drain excess grease.
- Purée Mexican stewed tomatoes and Rotel in a blender or food processer until smooth.
- Add taco seasoning to the browned ground beef.
- Add in purèed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, MexiCorn and beef stock to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour.
- About 10 minutes before you serve, stir in sour cream and half of the cheese, reserving the rest for topping.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro, more sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado and tortilla chips if desired.
A packet of taco Seasoning works great - but if you really want to pack this with flavor, try making your own HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING with my easy recipe!
To make this recipe in the SLOW COOKER: Add browned ground beef and all of the other ingredients (except cheese and sour cream) to your crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours. Stir cheese and sour cream into soupe about 10 minutes before serving.