^LOVE IT? PIN IT!^
I wrote this post the first time in November of 2012. It’s getting an update today in 2019 with the details of how to make it. My Mom recently spent the day with me, and we made her entire Thanksgiving meal together. I was able to photograph it, and then update the pictures for you.
What do I need to make Mom’s Sausage & Sage Dressing?
- pork sausage
- bread crumbs
- onion, celery
- chicken broth
Add your cooked celery and onion, bread crumbs and pork sausage to a big bowl.
Using your hands mix it all together. Begin adding chicken stock a little at a time, and working with your hands until it becomes the right consistency. The amount of bread crumbs you use will determine how much liquid you need, so working slowly is key.
My mom is showing here how the dressing will stick together and form a ball when it’s got enough moisture.
The day we made the stuffing to show you the step by step instructions, we prepared it in a bowl. As I mentioned before, my mom typically stuffs the bird, and wraps the extra in tin foil to bake. She does this mostly for lack of oven space. The attached recipe card will tell you how to bake the stuffing in the bird, in foil or in a casserole as I have here.
Dressing vs Stuffing
What Other Thanksgiving Traditional Dishes Can You Share?
- 2 pounds sage flavored pork sausage
- 2 large packages Pepperidge Farm bread crumbs (1 Herb Seasoned, 1 Country Style)
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion minced, divided
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 stick of butter, melted (1 cup)
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In that same skillet, melt butter. Add celery and onion and cook until tender. About 10 minutes. Cool slightly so you are able to touch it for the next step.
- In a big bowl, combine sausage, celery, and onion with your bread crumbs. Working with your hands, add small amounts of broth until dressing is moist, and forms into a ball.
- Stuff your turkey full. (we typically make a 20 pound bird) Wrap remaining stuffing in heavy duty foil. * see notes to prepare in a casserole dish
- Bake turkey according to size and package instructions for a stuffed bird.
- To bake the foil package, place in oven with turkey about 45 minutes before turkey is done.
- When turkey is cooked, remove stuffing immediately.
To prepare the dressing in a casserole dish: Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, pack dressing into the dish tightly. Bake at 325 degrees F for one hour.
This recipe is easily cut in half for smaller turkeys.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 19gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.