Juicy Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sandwiches made right in the crockpot! These pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches are packed with flavor, and make their own BBQ sauce right in the slow cooker. Serve them warm from the crockpot on Hawaiian burger buns or sliders, topped with pineapple slices and green onion. A family favorite that you will make time and time again!
How good do these Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sandwiches look? Better yet? This recipe takes only about 5 hours in the crockpot, and it’s a perfect easy weeknight meal, but also doubles as delicious party food!
The chicken cooks low and slow, it soaks up the flavors of the sauce before the meat is shredded. Next, a couple of additions to the sauce for flavor and thickening, then it’s all mixed back together. Back into the crockpot it goes, until you’re ready to serve it up!
Easy Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches in the Crockpot
Crockpot BBQ pulled chicken with pineapple is a deliciously tender chicken recipe! Easy ingredients like tomato paste, ketchup, sweet pineapple juice, honey, molasses, onion powder, and savory garlic powder are mixed together to create a sticky sauce that is both savory and sweet. This recipe for Hawaiian BBQ chicken sandwiches is the best and perfect for outdoor parties!
There is nothing quite like the combination of sweet and savory ingredients that are cooked into a thick BBQ sauce that is drizzled over juicy chicken breasts. With notes of fresh pineapple and tomato paste, this pulled chicken recipe is just like pulled pork except way juicier and healthier.
This easy recipe for Hawaiian chicken sandwiches is so simple to prepare in the Crockpot for whenever you are just not feeling like going the extra mile for lunch or dinner. Nothing short of flavor, this slow cooker Hawaiian BBQ chicken is the perfect medium of sweet and savory–just like your favorite homemade BBQ sauce!
We love to pair this slow cooker pulled chicken with sweet Hawaiian buns because they are the perfect medium for easy BBQ chicken. In just a few simple steps, you will have delicious and moist Crockpot Hawaiian chicken with pineapple prepared in no time. BBQ sandwiches are wonderful to enjoy for different special holidays and casual occasions that call for good food!
Served with sweet and soft pineapple rings, this easy pulled chicken recipe is summer in a dish. You will want to enjoy this tender BBQ chicken beside the pool with your favorite cocktails and iced tea. This easy recipe is worth every step!
WHY THIS CROCKPOT HAWAIIAN CHICKEN IS THE BEST
- Quick and Easy: Easy BBQ pulled chicken is prepared with very few steps in the slow cooker. Just allow all of the sauce ingredients to mend together, shred the chicken, then bring back to the Crockpot to make sure this juicy chicken is everything you could ever hope for in BBQ sandwiches.
- Filled with Sweet and Savory Flavors: Slightly sweet with flavors of molasses, ginger, and honey, the sweeter ingredients are balanced with robust savory notes of tomatoes, garlic, and onion.
- Perfect for BBQs and Holidays: You can enjoy these slow cooker Hawaiian BBQ sandwiches for Easter, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, birthday parties, Labor Day, and more!
- Kid-Friendly: The kids will want to gobble these sandwiches up in seconds! If you’re looking for a kid-approved recipe, then you have found your match with these tasty sandwiches.
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY PINEAPPLE CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Juicy tender chicken breasts are shredded to create pulled chicken for these easy BBQ Crockpot sandwiches. For more tender flavors, try this recipe with chicken thighs.
- Ketchup: Your favorite tomato-based ketchup is used to create the sweet and savory homemade BBQ sauce for these easy sandwiches!
- Pineapple Juice: Sweet pineapple juice is the secret ingredient which makes these Hawaiian chicken sandwiches so bright and bold with flavor.
- Soy Sauce: Savory soy sauce is a great base for sauces and can be substituted with coco aminos.
- Honey: Sticky local honey is a great natural sweetener for the barbecue sauce and tastes delicious with the sweet molasses.
- Molasses: Dark molasses is used to sweeten the homemade barbecue sauce for these slow cooker chicken sandwiches. If you do not have access to molasses, then you can try this recipe with maple syrup.
- Coconut Extract: Nutty coconut extract is an extra way to add a hint of bold flavors to this easy pineapple chicken recipe.
- Ginger: Ground ginger provides a hint of tanginess for the recipe and really brings out the sweet flavors of the sauce.
- Onion Powder: Robust onion garlic is a great easy seasoning for the BBQ chicken and allows the chicken to be full of great flavors.
- Garlic Powder: Savory garlic powder is my go-to for almost all of my meat and sauce recipes. Without garlic powder, the recipes just aren’t the same!
- Black Pepper: Freshly cracked pepper provides extra layers of flavor and blends well with everything else.
- Cornstarch: The cornstarch is mixed with water to create a slurry so the BBQ sauce can be nice and thick.
- Tomato Paste: Smooth tomato paste is used as a natural thickener and enhancer for barbecue sauce.
- Hawaiian Rolls: Sweet fluffy Hawaiian rolls are the perfect pairing options for this easy barbecue chicken. You can use either the rolls or buns!
- Pineapple Rings and Green Onions: Optional but highly recommended! Fresh pineapple rings and freshly sliced green onions really elevate this recipe!
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT HAWAIIAN CHICKEN
First, place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the Crockpot. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ketchup, pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, molasses, coconut extract, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix until all of the ingredients are well combined.
Next, pour the sauce over the chicken breasts making sure to cover the entire surface of the boneless skinless chicken breasts. Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook the chicken on low heat for five hours.
Once the chicken has cooked, carefully remove it from the slow cooker and shred it with either two forks on a plate or a hand mixer in a bowl. Shred until the chicken is mostly shredded.
In a small saucepan, whisk the cold water with cornstarch and add the sauce and tomato paste to the saucepan. Mix until everything is combined and well-mixed.
Bring the sauce mixture to a boil over medium-high heat while frequently stirring.
Next, return the chicken to the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the shredded pulled chicken. Toss the chicken with sauce until it is evenly coated and covered in sauce.
Finally, Serve the BBQ chicken with Hawaiian rolls or buns. Enjoy!
Love them? Pin them!
Don’t forget where you found this delightful Hawaiian pulled chicken recipe! Pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest before you go!
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Cook on high for four hours to make these Hawaiian chicken sandwiches even faster.
- Serve these sandwiches with your favorite coleslaw, crispy french fries, potato salad recipes, baked beans, croissants, and so much more!
- Instead of soy sauce try Worcestershire sauce.
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL ENJOY
- Hawaiian Ham Balls with Pineapple Sauce (pictured above)
- Dr. Pepper BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- BBQ Pork Ribs
- Hawaiian Pork Sliders
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Pulled Pork with Celery Slaw
- BBQ Little Smokies
- Instant Pot Dr. Pepper Ribs
- Pulled Pork with Dorothy Lynch Cole Slaw
Let’s make some Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sandwiches!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 Hawaiian hamburger buns
- 6 Pineapple Rings and sliced Green Onions, for serving
- Place chicken in a crockpot.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, pineapple juice, low sodium soy sauce, honey, molasses, coconut extract, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken in the slow cooker, cover with the lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cold water and cornstarch, pour in the sauce from the slow cooker, and add tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and pour sauce over chicken. Toss to coat evenly.
- Serve warm on Hawaiian Roll hamburger buns and top with pineapple rings and green onions.
Want to add a little heat? Mix some sriracha into the sauce!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 914mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 4gSugar: 40gProtein: 54g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.
This recipe was originally posted on July 13, 2014. It has been updated to improve user experience and re-shared on March 9, 2022.
original recipe from Cheese Curd in Paradise