You’ve got a new favorite snack cracker mix! This Touchdown Snack Mix is so buttery and yummy you won’t be able to leave it alone! Sometimes called Garbage Bag Cracker Mix, this addicting treat is made with popcorn oil, ranch seasoning, and all of your most loved crackers, pretzels, nuts, and salty snacks! Make it your own – just make it and fall in love!
My All-Time FAVORITE Cracker Snack Mix
The first time I had this Touchdown Snack Mix, was back in 2016 when our kids surprised us with a 25th Anniversary party here at our home. They invited relatives, friends, and our entire wedding party. It was fun to see all of those who came, and it really meant a lot to us that they took the time to do so.
I am sure at this point, you are wondering why I am talking about anniversary parties when this snack mix is called “touchdown snack mix.” Well, that is because my Mom brought a whole bunch of this to our anniversary party for snacking. It’s her go-to recipe for snack mix, a recipe given to her by a co-worker a long time ago.
The Snack Mix with No Name
When my Mom was given the recipe all of those years ago, the recipe didn’t have a name. The top of the index card said “snack mix with popcorn oil and ranch dressing.” Even for this mix, that is a mouthful.
It makes a big batch, so the next week I took the leftovers to our tailgate. It was devoured!
I started calling it Touchdown Snack Mix because it was just the perfect name for it. Touchdown, home run, goal — whatever you want to call it — you will score all kinds of points when you bring this mix to your next gathering!
Touchdown Snack Mix
I tried to figure out the recipe on taste alone, it’s a weird game I play with myself, please don’t judge. I thought I had it figured out, just by the taste. Guess what? I was so wrong. I thought for sure it had to have a whole bunch of butter in it. Nope. None. But … it’s so buttery and addicting. How could it not have butter?!
So I asked my mom to send me the recipe and when I read the ingredients, it totally made sense. The first ingredient: Orville Redenbacher Popcorn Oil! That is the key to this amazing mix.
I mean, what is more addicting than popcorn? I’ll tell you what … this snack mix!
Ingredients in Touchdown Snack Mix
Feel free to use what you like. Just make sure that you have the same amounts as the recipe calls for so that you don’t have too much or not enough of the popcorn ranch oil.
- Orville Redenbacher Popcorn Oil – You will find this where you purchase popcorn in your grocery store.
- Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Seasoning – the packets are found by the bottled salad dressings.
- dry roasted peanuts – I like the salted ones!
- Cheez-It’s – cheese crackers are a must!
- Original Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish Crackers
- Parmesan Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish Crackers
- Pretzel Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish Crackers – Sometimes I use these, sometimes I use pretzel balls or even mini twists!
- Bugles – don’t forget to put them on the ends of your fingers before you eat them. 😉
- Munchos Potato Chips – Munchos are sometimes these are hard to find. If you can find them, use them! They are so good! If I can’t find them I use the shoestring potato sticks!
You’ll find the exact amounts and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How To Make Touchdown Snack Mix with Popcorn Oil and Ranch Seasoning
This ranch snack mix is super simple to prepare, mix it, coat it, bake it and serve it up!
You will need a big roasting pan.
Add in all of your chosen snacks.
Mix them together.
Heat popcorn oil and ranch seasoning on the stove and pour over the snacks. Carefully stir to coat. Be careful not to break everything.
Alternatively – you can coat in a large paper grocery bag or trash bag instead of stirring. That is why some call it “garbage bag snack mix with popcorn oil” I guess?
Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Cool on paper towel-lined baking sheets.
Store in an airtight container. Keeps for weeks.
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
You don’t have to wait for tailgating or sporting events to nosh on this snack mix! Mix up a batch and enjoy it anytime! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Recipe board before you go so you remember where you found the recipe!
Snack Mixes are my favorite thing to serve or to bring to a party. I love getting clever with them and watching them disappear.
Speaking of clever, have you ever made a popcorn cake? They never disappoint – as does this 3 ingredient candy-coated “crack corn” recipe!
So, make yourself up a batch — set down a big bowl, and watch it disappear! Walk away with your fist in the air and yell “TOUCHDOWN!”
Touchdown Snack Mix
You’ve got a new favorite snack mix! This one is so buttery and yummy you won’t be able to leave it alone! Made with popcorn oil, ranch seasoning and all of your favorites!
- 1 bottle Orville Reddenbacher Popcorn Oil (16 ounce size)
- 1 package Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Dip seasoning
- 1 jar dry roasted peanuts (16 ounce size)
- 1 medium box Cheez It's (11/5 ounce size)
- 1 (6 oz) package Original Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish Crackers
- 1 (6 oz) package Parmesan Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish Crackers
- 1 (6 oz) package Pretzel Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish Crackers
- 2 bags Bugles (14.5 ounce family size)
- 2 bags Munchos Potato Chips (41/4 ounce size)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Heat oil and ranch seasoning, taking care not to burn.
- Combine all of the crackers, chips and nuts in a large roasting pan. Pour oil mixture over the top and gently mix to evenly coat.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on paper towels.
- Store in an airtight container.
Store in an airtight container. Keeps for weeks!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Nutrition isn't always accurate.
This recipe was originally posted on October 4, 2016. It has been updated to improve the user experience on February 9, 2022.
Leave a Reply