Looking for a great low-carb meal? I have you covered with these Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers! Fresh green bell peppers stuffed with roast beef, mushrooms, onions and cheese. Everything you love about a classic Philly cheesesteak without the bread.
Stuffed Pepper Recipes
One of my FAVORITE meals of all times? Stuffed Peppers. It has been since I was a kid, and that hasn’t changed. In order to not always sound like I am making the same thing for dinner all of the time, I’ve made different versions of my stuffed peppers. Stuffed Pepper Soup, Stuffed Pepper Meatloaf, Stuffed Pepper Casserole, Stuffed Pepper Skillet, Stuffed Pepper Meatballs … You get the idea. I am getting what I ultimately want for dinner without sounding completely redundant. Right?
My Favorite Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Pepper Recipe
Ingredients You Need For Your Stuffed Peppers
I think you already guessed some of what you need, the name kind of gave it away, but here is everything to have handy:
- Bell Peppers – Go traditional with green or feel free to pick your favorite colors.
- Roast Beef – I use sliced roast beef from the deli counter here. I choose the rare roast beef because it cooks again in the peppers.
- Sliced Provolone Cheese – Originally, I used shredded cheese for this recipe, and you can, but I have found that I like the thicker provolone slices to work better.
- Sliced Mushrooms – I use fresh baby Bella mushrooms, but sliced white mushrooms work great, too! In a pinch, grab a can of sliced mushrooms for your pantry.
- Onions – White or yellow is preferable, I typically reach for a sweet yellow onion.
- Butter – salted or unsalted works.
- Garlic – a couple of cloves of minced garlic, or take the shortcut and buy the kind in the jar.
- Seasoned Salt & Pepper – I always reach for the Lawry brand.
How To Make Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers
These cheesesteak peppers are easy to make and come together quickly. The “hardest part” is the slicing and chopping. My kind of recipe!
In a skillet over medium heat melt butter.
Add garlic, mushrooms, chopped pepper, and onion and cook until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Add meat, season with seasoned salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes more.
Love them? Pin Them!
This is a fun recipe and very easy to make. Since you leave out the bread, this is also a very keto-friendly recipe. Pin it so you have it handy when you feel like a low-carb version of Philly cheesesteak.
Low Carb, Gluten-Free, And Keto Friendly Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers
Do I have to cook the meat first when I make Stuffed Peppers?
All of my stuffed pepper recipes contain meat. Most use ground beef, but in the case of these Philly Cheesesteak Peppers, I use rare roast beef.
I don’t cook the meat in the other versions, because the meat cooks as the pepper does. For this recipe, the deli roast beef is already cooked. Again, I always get the rare roast beef, because it will cook more inside the pepper.
What is a good side dish for stuffed peppers?
Love Philly Cheesesteaks? Here are a few more ways to enjoy them!
I love coming up with new and different ways to enjoy my favorites. Check out these creative ways to enjoy the flavors of a Philly!
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 16 ounces baby bells mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced, rough chopped
- 3/4 pound good quality deli roast beef, choose rare if possible
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Seasoned Salt & Seasoned Pepper to taste
- 8 thicker slices of Provolone Cheese, (can sub shredded Mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Cut the tops off of your bell peppers and clean out the inside, chop the pepper on that's left around the stem, set aside. Slice onion and mushrooms, set aside.
- Slightly chop the roast beef, set aside.
- Place peppers in a baking dish prepared with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place a slice of cheese in the bottom of each pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add garlic, mushrooms, chopped pepper and onion and cook until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add meat, season with seasoned salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Divide meat mixture evenly between peppers, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, add a slice of cheese to the top of each pepper and bake for 10 minutes more.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 839Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 2310mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 61g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.