You are going to love this homemade Funnel Cake recipe! Perfectly fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. We are crazy about this classic festival food recipe made at home from scratch! No pancake batter is needed, just a few basic pantry ingredients, and a few minutes of your time and you will be sinking your teeth into the best funnel cakes around!
In the mood for your favorite carnival food? I don’t know if you’re anything like me, but this time of the year really makes me appreciate fair foods! Have a craving for this sweet treat and want to make your own scrumptious funnel cakes? Instead of searching for, “Funnel cakes near me,” make your own funnel cakes at home with this simple recipe!
In just minutes, you will have your very own food truck-style funnel cakes ready to be dusted with icing sugar and your choice of sweet toppings such as cherries, drizzled chocolate, or apple and cherry pie filling: yum! Who doesn’t go all out when it comes to carnivals and state fair season?
Fair Funnel Cake Recipe
What I love most about this recipe is that when I get a craving for funnel cake fries, I can easily make them with the batter! In case you’ve never had funnel cake fries, you may want to try them because they are THAT good.
Funnel cakes are perfect for any time of the year, but they’re especially great for carnival-themed birthday parties, celebrations, and so much more. This recipe creates the ultimate combination: crispy and pillowy soft. I can almost taste the funnel cakes now…
What is Funnel Cake?
Funnel cakes are super sweet fried foods that are popular across North America at state fairs, festivals, and carnivals. You can usually find funnel cakes sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with various sweet sauces.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Simple: Made in less than 30 minutes, you will have your favorite desserts ready to be enjoyed! I love this recipe because it requires minimal steps and is just so easy!
- Delicious: Perfectly sweet and soft with a crunchy coating, these funnel cakes are exactly what you will enjoy if you’re looking for something comforting and homemade.
- Family-Friendly: All of the kids and adults will love these funnel cakes because they are just seriously the best! These funnel cakes are so easy to customize and great for all ages!
For the full list of ingredients, be sure to scroll down to the recipe card!
Oil: For this recipe, I used vegetable oil. Any kind of vegetable oil will work–just make sure it has a high smoke point!
Flour: All-purpose flour is what I used for this recipe. For gluten-free, just make sure the gluten-free flour blend has xanthan gum.
Baking powder & soda: These items are needed to make the best fluffy funnel cakes you’ll ever have!
Sugar: Granulated white sugar to make these treats sweet!
Milk: I used dairy milk, but you can use any kind of milk.
Vanilla Extract: What would the funnel cakes be without vanilla extract?
Origin of Funnel Cakes?
Believe it or not, funnel cakes were some of the original North American foods! Created by the European immigrants when they came to settle in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, these classic treats have been enjoyed for decades.
How to Make Homemade Funnel Cake
You’re going to love how easy these funnel cakes are–seriously the best out there!
First, heat some oil in a skillet to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a wire rack with paper towels.
Next, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture until smooth.
This is what the mixture should begin to look like. Be sure to whisk until no more lumps remain!
Cover the bottom of the funnel spout with a finger and pour the batter into the funnel.
Next, hold the funnel several inches above the hot oil and release your finger from the funnel hole, moving the funnel in a circular motion or criss-cross motion until all the batter is released. Scrape any leftover batter with a spatula.
Fry the batter for about two minutes or until the funnel cakes are golden brown. Transfer the funnel cakes to a paper towel-lined rack.
Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Toppings for Funnel Cakes
There are so many options for funnel cake toppings! Enjoy these funnel cakes with:
- Pie Filling
- Whipped cream
- Ice cream
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Fresh berries
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Don’t forget to save this recipe to find it easily! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
What Does Funnel Cake Taste Like?
Funnel cake is sweet and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Once you get the taste of funnel cake, you’ll want it again and again!
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- When ready to reheat, reheat the funnel cakes in the oven or air fryer at low temperature until fully heated and crispy.
- Enjoy with fries, corn dog mini muffins, and so much more!
More Recipes You Will Love
- Hamburger Cupcakes
- Easy Grasshopper Ice Cream
- Fried Ice Cream Pie
- Ice Cream Sticky Rolls
- Caramel Apple Pie Snack Mix
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 2 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulate sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat about 1-1 ½ inches of vegetable oil in a skillet to 375 degrees F. Line a wire rack with paper towels.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla; add this mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger and add 1 cup batter into the funnel.
- Hold the funnel several inches above the hot oil and release your finger from the funnel hole, moving the funnel in a circular or criss-cross motion until all the batter is released. Scrape any leftover batter with a rubber spatula, if need be.
- Fry for about 2 minutes or funnel cakes are golden brown. Transfer to the paper towel-lined rack.
- Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Optional toppings: apple pie filling, cherry pie filling, whipped cream, ice cream, cinnamon and sugar, fresh berries.
Can use a deep fryer, but I use a skillet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 661mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 16g
Please note that nutrition is not guaranteed accurate.