Banana bread done coffee cake style. Made in a bundt pan with a pecan crunch topping. Perfect for brunch – or anytime you want a little extra something with your morning cuppa.
Last week it was time to make something with bananas. I freeze them when they start to get too ripe, and every time I went to look for something in the kitchen freezer, they started falling out on me! I planned on making my Banana Bread. It truly is the last banana bread recipe you will ever need. It turns out perfect every single time. But I wanted to switch it up a bit, and decided to do a coffee cake.
I feel like this recipe really does lean more toward the texture of a bread than a cake. So if light and fluffy is what you’re looking for, then this might not be it. BUT – if you are like me, and you can’t pass up a slice of ‘nanner bread, then you need to give this one a whirl!
Sidebar — if it’s a banana cake you are looking for, you cannot go wrong with my Banana Bread Cake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting! Holy YUM!! That frosting alone is worth the effort. So darn good!!
Typically when I think nuts in banana bread, I think walnuts. Not sure why? I just think they go really well. For this one though, I made the crumble out of pecans, and threw a few of them inside, too. It worked out so good!
It gave the outside that bit of a “crust” to it. The perfect amount of sweet and spicy crunch. The inside though was perfectly moist and dense. I hope that the next time you find yourself with a few ripe bananas you give it a try!!
I bake with bananas a LOT. Did you know that anytime you are searching for a recipe here on my site, that you can just search an ingredient? That’s right. It doesn’t have to be precise, or the full recipe name. Click the search bar and type anything.
Before we get to today’s new recipe, here are a couple of other coffee cakes you may enjoy:
I also have some friends who make amazing recipes, and they shared their favorite coffee cakes with us today!
Ground Cherry Coffe Cofee Cake from PlatterTalk, Peanut Butter Coffee Cake from Hostess at Heart and this Blackberry Coffee Cake with Streusel Filling from Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish . Please pay them a visit and check out their delicious recipes!
Now what do you say we get to the Banana Bread coffee Cake recipe?
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup) softened
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2¼ cup flour
- For the topping:
- 2 heaping Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 heaping cup chopped pecans
- Spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare topping mixture by mixing three ingredients together. Set aside.
- In your mixer cream your cream cheese until smooth, add in butter, continue to beat until creamy. Add in bananas, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon slowly until it's incorporated.
- Fold in about half of the topping mixture and pour the remaining into the bundt pan, evenly distributing it.
- Slowly pour batter over the topping, smooth it out.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a plate. Serve warm or room temperature.