Gooey apples in a buttery syrup over a moist, sweet cake, baked upside down in a cast-iron skillet. The perfect warm welcome to fall.
Apple Upside Down Cake baked in a cast iron skillet is the old fashioned apple dessert that stands the test of time. I mean, what isn’t there to love about this scrumptious cake, bathed in warm syrupy apples? You’ll definitely want to serve it with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream as a special treat.
It feels like #FallFlavors week just began, and I am already sharing my last recipe contribution to this delicious event. Don’t get too sad though — you know me, I have plenty of other fantastically fall-flavored yumminess coming your way all the way through Thanksgiving.
Apple and pumpkin are my favorite things to bake with – so keep your eyes open and your noses pointed in the air! 😉
I was given products from Taylor and Colledge in conjunction with #FallFlavors recipe week in exchange for this post.
SOME OF THE ITEMS BELOW CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS; I AM A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES. I AM ALSO AN AFFILIATE FOR OTHER BRANDS. HOWEVER, I ONLY PROMOTE THINGS THAT I LOVE AND THINK YOU WILL LOVE, TOO. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Fall Flavors 2020 Recipes:
If you’re curious what I shared this week here is what you may have missed: Caramel Apple Tea Cake, Baked Sweet Potato Chips (and a bonus – Savory Pumpkin Dip with Bacon, which is excellent with the sweet potato chips)
Love it? Pin it!
If you can’t wait to make this old fashioned apple upside down cake, don’t forget where you found the recipe! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go!
Reasons to love this Apple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Aside from the obvious, like look at that soft cake! There are loads of reasons to love this cake!
Here are a few of them!
- It’s Easy! It contains nothing fancy, just basic pantry ingredients.
- It’s quick! No peeling of apples, just open a can of pie filling. This means it’s adaptable to all sorts of other flavors, using the same method, just different pie filling.
- You get to use that cast iron skillet that stashed away in your oven. Of course, you don’t have to use a cast iron, any heavy ovenproof skillet will do, the cast iron is just the good ol fashioned way of doing things. Stick to one that is about 10″-12″ in diameter though, any bigger and the cake will be too thin, any smaller and it might bake over.
- You have the perfect excuse to whip some cream or eat ice cream.
Step by Step Directions on how to make this simple Apple Upside Down Cake recipe
1. Combine, butter egg and sugars. 2. Add in flour, baking powder and salt. 3. Mix in milk. 4. Stir in vanilla paste. 5. Add butter and brown sugar to a cast iron skillet. 6. Melt together. 7. Spread apple pie filling in the bottom of the skillet. 8. Top with cake batter, bake. 9. Flip.
More Upside Down Cake Recipes to love
Upside down cakes have been around for decades. The classic one that most minds go to is the Pineapple Upside Down Cake. But what about a Pumpkin Praline Upside Down Cake? Or an Upside Down Peach Cake with warm rum sauce? For the holidays this Upside Down Blueberry Sweet Roll recipe is perfect for breakfast or dessert, and this Cranberry Upside Down Cake can’t be beat!
Time to WIN Some Prizes from our amazing Sponsors!
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
The Republic of Tea is giving away a gorgeous Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of their Hot Apple Cider Tea. Brew a pot and enjoy on a cool fall day.
Torani is giving away a bottle of their Green Apple Puremade Syrup and Caramel Puremade Sauce. These syrups are perfect for baking or making a variety of drinks.
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Taylor and Colledge is giving away a variety of their baking pastes. Your fall and holiday baked goods will wow your family and guests.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If they do not respond within that time they forfeit, and a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.
Follow the Fall Flavors Pinterest board for more fall recipe inspiration!
Let’s get to the recipe for this simple and delicious Apple Upside down Cake shall we?
Apple Upside Down Cake
Gooey apples in a buttery spiced syrup over a moist, not too sweet cake, baked upside down in a cast iron skillet. The perfect warm welcome to fall.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 stick butter, divided (1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup + 4 Tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 (20 ounce) can of apple pie filling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 6 Tablespoons butter.
- In a bowl whisk together: flour, butter, eggs, vanilla paste, baking powder, sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt and milk.
- In a 10"-12" cast iron skillet on the stove, melt butter and 4 Tablespoons brown sugar. Pour in can of apple pie filling, and spread to cover bottom evenly.
- Pour batter over the top and carefully smooth it out.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Immediately invert cake onto a platter to release cake. Be careful, the fruit will be very hot!
- Cool slightly and serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
nutrition isn't guaranteed accurate.
Friday Fall Recipes
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Apple Fries by Daily Dish Recipes
- Almond Apple Galette by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Amish Pear Crumb Pie Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Cider Dip by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Apple Upside Down Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Apple Whiskey Sour by Cookaholic Wife
- Caramel Apple Pancakes by Lemon Blossoms
- Caramel Apple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple-Tea-Ni by Sweet Beginnings
- Fluffy Pumpkin Dip by Take Two Tapas
- Garlic and Thyme Smashed Sunchokes by Savory Moments
- Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake by Frugal & Fit
- Harvest Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp by Art of Natural Living
- Meyer Lemon-Lavender Vodka Martini by Books n’ Cooks
- Oaxacon Daisy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pear Fennel Sunchoke Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pear Scones with Caramel Glaze by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Pistachio and Marmalade Crusted Brie with Figs by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Chicken with Sunchokes and Lemon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic by Family Around the Table
- Scrumptious Caramel Iced Apple Cinnamon Rolls Easy Recipe by Intelligent Domestications
- Tea Infused Apple Cider Chicken by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Almond Scones by That Recipe
The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.
Leave a Reply