If you have followed me for very long, you will know that it’s no secret that I am a huge fan of soup. I could seriously eat it EVERY day. Some weeks, I do! This is a quality that (most) of my children share. This bowlful of Vegetable Beef, Barley & Mushroom Soup treated our bellies kindly when fall officially hit our neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago.
I recently picked up a freebie magazine that has many dietary tips and recipes in it from our local HyVee store. This recipe was one that was featured. I didn’t change much about it, just small tweaks here and there, and it had a great flavor. My ONLY note about it is this. If you are NOT a fan of thyme, you may choose to omit it. It isn’t one of my favorite spices, and I even cut the portion down and it still was a tad over powering for our taste. If you are a fan, by all means, keep it! Seems that most stews and vegetable soups call for thyme.
Not sure why my family isn’t a fan, but I guess we can’t like everything. right?
I giggle to myself when I remember a stew I made last winter and my oldest son said as he was eating, “Mom, you can really taste all of the thyme you put into this dinner!” I know where he gets his sarcasm, so I can appreciate it.
If you enjoy my recipes I invite you to add your email to the top right hand corner of my blog. My recipes will come right to you inbox. I never send anything that isn’t a recipe, and you won’t miss one! Thank you for being here with me. <3
- ½ pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ pound white mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced (I love using the carrot chips or coins)
- 1½ cups celery, chopped
- ½ - 1 Tablespoon thyme (if you aren't a fan, omit this step)
- 7 cups beef broth
- 5 cups water
- 1½ cups quick barley
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- **I added a bit of Kitchen Bouquet to mine to richen the broth while it cooked**
- **You can partially make this and put it in your crock pot, or just make it on the stove. Either way it starts out the same! **
- In a stock pot over medium heat, add about 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil to heat.
- In a bowl combine flour with about ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper, toss meat in the flour and place in the stock pot to brown in oil. Stir occasionally until well browned. Remove meat from pot, set aside.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to pot, and throw in your shallots and garlic. Saute until tender. (about 5 minutes)
- *** at this point you can do the rest in your crock pot by adding all of this and the remaining ingredients to the crock pot and cooking on low for about 6-7 hours. ***
- If cooking on the stove, add the mushrooms, carrots and celery to pot and stir in remaining seasonings.
- Add to the pot the broth, water, tomato paste and barley.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
If you love soup like us, here are a couple of my favorites!